Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hi All
I just started a diet today as my BMI tells me I'm obese. I'm a 5ft 4" man weighing 13st 12oz, do little exercise and have a sedentry lifestyle. I've used MFP to plan a weight loss of 1 pound per week. It gives me a calorie goal of 1540. It's now 8pm in the UK and I've consumed only 1115 calories. I feel full and really don't want to eat anything more today.
So:
1) Am I eating to little?
2) Is MFP accurate?
What advise can you give me based on your own successful weight loss regimes please?
Kind regards
Pyknicpie

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry,dont force it! Maybe enjoy a glass of milky tea before bed,or some almond milk. That works for me.
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As long as you have eaten at least 1200 calories, I think you will be ok. Try reseting your weight loss goal to 1.5 or 2lbs a week. It will lower your calorie goal per day so you don't feel like you aren't eating enough. Good luck on MFP!!!
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! It is okay but if you do not get as much maybe you would want to change your menu! It has only been a day, just give it a couple of days before you make any changes. A midnight snack might be the key! Good luck!
  • kimberly428
    Options
    I agree with as long as you are at least eating 1200 you should be fine.
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat any more today, don't. You may want more tomorrow! I don't think you should make a habit of eating less though. I find that on the days that I exercise and have more calories to consume I do get hungrier, however, I try not to eat all of those extra calories if I can help it! Also, drink as much water as you can. This is a great program and you will do well! :drinker:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    You should probably be eating more.

MFP will let you go as low as 1200, which is actually the recommended minimum for women. The recommended goal for men is 1500. I would recommend some snacks in the day, but without knowing what you're eating it would be hard to recommend.
  • pyknicpie
    Options
    Wow! I'm so grateful for your replies - and so quickly too! Your support is really great. Thanks everyone.
  • 1977belle03
    Options
    Hi, yes do not panick, I come under my calorie goal often although it is better to try and have all of your calories to prevent your body going into starvation mode, which will cause your body to store fat!!! - We dont want that, we are trying to get rid of it. I certainly would NOT recommend a Mid Night Snack!!! You will get use to eating & snacking late at night and this is where alot of people fall into routine and put on weight.

Good luck
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You asked whether MFP is accurate, but the truth is that it is only as accurate as your input. Often you may chose the wrong portion size or select a homemade item that does not have the same ingredients you may be way off. Even packaged food can include different amount of food than advertised. For this reason, lot of people who think they are under in calories are not. Something to keep in mind as you start your journey. Also remember to strength train to preserve muscle.

Best of luck
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Eat a minimum of 1200 daily and you're all good! (Or is that just for women?)
  • 4richos
    4richos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've only just joined mfp a couple of weeks ago and have been quite confused about the number of calories needed and whether or not to eat the calories burned off from exercise, so I've done a bit of googling and the website links below have made things a bit clearer for me. I have now decided to always eat my 1200 calories but if I don't eat extra, to burn off the calories from exercise, then I should lose weight faster and the mfp program seems to be happy with that. If I eat less than the 1200 calories, I get a warning to tell me that I may put my body into starvation mode. I was confused about the BMR - people on the forum were saying that mfp has already taken off 500 calories so that you get the 3500 per week needed to lose 1 lb. which gave me a BMR of 1200 however when I went onto another site and checked my BMR it gave me a BMR of 1200 however, mfp obviously takes into account your "lifestyle and fitness levels" and when this is also factored in my BMR is in fact 1700.
    I think you need to give it some time, learn as much as you can by doing some research, make sure you eat the 1200 calories or whatever minimum amount of calories you have been given as a male, and I think if you exercise even a little it will all help. I hope the links below will shed some light on things for you like it did for me, and I hope I haven't been too confusing.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/howtoloseweight.htm
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/count-calories.html
    Good luck to everyone. Jan