How much weight loss should I expect to see on this?

Options
I'm obese according to BMI and according to how I look and how I feel.

I'm a 38 year old male and according to my fitbit scale I weigh 245lbs . I have a very sedentary lifestyle due to full time work and three courses at school. I have little time in between.

At my highest I was around 265lbs. I was at 224lbs 10 years ago and around 210lbs 15 years ago. 15 years ago, I essentially stopped eating for 4 days a week due to working a 12-14 hour shift and 2 hours of travel to and from work. I have never been at a good weight or certainly what I consider a good weight and was overweight as a child as well.

According to the BMI scale I should be around 180. I would be okay at 200lbs at this point as I know I will have extreme difficulty to get under 200.

I've tried limiting my caloric intake to 1600 calories but I'm not losing it fast enough. I've lost 5 lbs in a three weeks. That's no where near enough. I need to lose 5 lbs a week.... Before someone says it's not healthy or sustainable... Neither is living this way or feeling this way. I'm very depressed about the way I look and feel. I'm almost desperate enough to pay Dr. B. the $1200 a month they want.

What I'm thinking of doing is this:

Breakfast: I cup tea with 2% milk and 1 splenda, 1/4 cup of Cheese & Chives Egg creations (150 calories)
Snack at 10am: Quaker Instant Oatmeal (130 calories)
Lunch: ISOflex Whey Protein shake (115 calories)
Snack at 2pm: Vega One Shake (140 calories)
Water or water with crystal light x 5 (50 calories)
Some form of packaged dinner that’s around 400 calories likely from Trader Joe’s.
1 daily dose of a multi-vitamin
1 daily dose of multi-minerals
1 daily dose of B complex

I'm also thinking of adding Metamucil to help with things and lower my cholesterol ratio and the sugar free version is only 20 calories.

That’s about 1000 calories not including the pills. I'm definitely concerned about the hunger cravings in the evening before and after dinner so I'm not quite sure what to do there... broccoli or celery to benefit from negative calories? (Takes more calories to digest than what I'll get from them?)

How much weight loss per week should I expect to see on this?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry you feel the need to do this to yourself. And you prefaced this with the knowledge that no one is going to help you starve yourself and potentially damage yourself by doing this. I was in the obese BF% June of last year. I was miserable. It took every bit of me to not want to scrape by and lose it as fast as I could but here's the truth. .

You are worth taking the time for.

You are worth spending time to learn sustainable habits and continue learning

please do not do what you're planning. Slow is good. Progress is progress. Getting there at a decent pace and not racing will not only leave you healthier at goal but happier because you will have hopefully found some new recipes and foods to enjoy, maybe an exercise that you can relate with and you'll be set up to maintain. Rather than racing to the finish line and learning nothing.

We didn't gain it overnight. We cannot expect to lose it that way either
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think you should probably talk to a professional about how you feel.

Obese may not be healthy, but it sounds more like your heading towards ED behavior. Do you really want to risk getting conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease? What happens when you eat 1000 calories a day and end up binge eating? What are you going to do if the scale still isn't moving fast enough for you? Cut more calories? What happens if you get to your goal weight and still don't like the way you look? What will you do then?

29gig5h.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So, you want to lose 65lbs in 13 weeks? You need to slow your roll to something more reasonable. It's not as simple as 5lb x 13wks = 65lbs. It will come off quickly at first and taper off as you get closer to your goal. You didn't get to be 38 years old by not learning a little patience on the way :)
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I will start by saying that 5 lbs in 3 weeks is a pretty decent rate in my opinion. I eat 1300 calories a day and exercise pretty much everyday and loose 1/2 pound a week.

I will also second the above comment that perhaps you should talk to someone about your feelings. I can tell you from experience that if you aren't in a good place emotionally, it will be extremely difficult to loose weight.

Lastly, the one piece of diet advice I can give you that might help speed up your weight loss is to lay off the packaged foods. Based on what you listed it appears that much of your diet is pre-packaged, which usually means sodium-laden. Perhaps track your sodium in your nutrients to see for sure. But a diet high in sodium can make you retain water.

I know it's difficult to find time to cook meals from scratch, but it made such a difference for me. Freezer friendly meals (not the pre-packaged kind) have become my best friend. There are a couple of difference chili recipes I make, as well as a mac and cheese that uses mostly butternut squash and only a little cheese, turkey burgers with liquified veggies hidden in them, and these tex mex rice cakes that are my favorite that I can make tons of on a day off and then pop in the freezer for quick meals later.

Good luck to you!
  • trader604
    trader604 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    While I understand that I'm worth taking the time for... I also should have been worth putting the right foods in my mouth and not eating so much in the first place. It's been going on too long and it's simply time to stop.. People are losing weight rapidly on DRB, stomach stapling, and likely a few other ways. I realize it's not the ideal way of doing things but it's what I need to do for me. I also realize that SOME are gaining it back and more but there are others that are staying at or close to their desired weight.

If the scale doesn't go down as much as I need then I'll have to rely on other supplements to do the job. At this point, I'm hoping the calorie deficit will do the trick.

In terms of the health issues listed, don't the supplements: the vitamin pills, mineral pills, and shakes take care of the nutrients I need to avoid most if not all of those conditions?

Also, I don't know what ED behavior is.

I do understand that the weight loss will taper off the lower I go but right now I need to get to a much lower weight than I'm at.... even if I could get to 225 to see progress... 5-10 lbs is not progress, it's water weight etc.

In terms of binge eating, I will deal with that as it comes and exercise discipline as much as I can including letting my friends know to stop me.

I was really hoping to get an answer to how much weight to expect with the reduction in calories.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Please rethink what you are doing. I was at 245 and knew that I had to start slow. You need to teach yourself new eating habits and that won't happen if you are starving. Don't set yourself up to fail. Even with your life style you can add walking. Start slow and work yourself up. List your actual calories on a normal day then cut at least 500. Don't starve. We are here to support you
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    slow and steady... good luck and best wishes on your WOE.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    While I understand that I'm worth taking the time for... I also should have been worth putting the right foods in my mouth and not eating so much in the first place. It's been going on too long and it's simply time to stop.. People are losing weight rapidly on DRB, stomach stapling, and likely a few other ways. I realize it's not the ideal way of doing things but it's what I need to do for me. I also realize that SOME are gaining it back and more but there are others that are staying at or close to their desired weight.

If the scale doesn't go down as much as I need then I'll have to rely on other supplements to do the job. At this point, I'm hoping the calorie deficit will do the trick.

In terms of the health issues listed, don't the supplements: the vitamin pills, mineral pills, and shakes take care of the nutrients I need to avoid most if not all of those conditions?

Also, I don't know what ED behavior is.

I do understand that the weight loss will taper off the lower I go but right now I need to get to a much lower weight than I'm at.... even if I could get to 225 to see progress... 5-10 lbs is not progress, it's water weight etc.

In terms of binge eating, I will deal with that as it comes and exercise discipline as much as I can including letting my friends know to stop me.

I was really hoping to get an answer to how much weight to expect with the reduction in calories.

You can do the math yourself and figure it out, but your body will ultimately lose weight at the rate it decides. A daily 500cal deficit should mathematically yield a 1lb loss per week, so start there. Hopefully you don't give up when things most likely don't go as planned with this lockstep, zero-margin-for-error method you're proposing. Your desperation is clouding your better judgment and hindering the good advice you've gotten here.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    The problem lies in the unrealistic weight loss goal of 5lb/week. In order for you to achieve that, you need to create a calorie deficit of ~2,500 calories every day. Since you are sedentary, and given your stats (I needed to assume a height--I chose 5'11", since it's "average"), you have a TDEE of ~2,500 calories, meaning you need approx that much food to maintain your weight.

So...to lose 5lb/week, you need to eat...ready for it...zero calories. Zero. Complete starvation. You will die to achieve this. That's why we are saying it is unrealistic and unsustainable. The math does not work.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Everybody and every body is different. No one knows how much weight per week you'll lose for what you propose.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    ED is short for eating disorder. Which is what this will more likely spiral into if you do not rethink your plan.

We've all made mistakes. We've all fallen into pitfalls. Your quick weight loss idea of starving yourself is another pitfall. So is looking for a quick fix. It is a disordered thinking. Also, eating so very little for a sustained amount of time CAN cause issues to vital organs and overall health.

You say you want to do this for your health. So, why not do it the right way?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That isn't enough calories for someone your size. Eat more and just know that it will take a bit longer but in doing so it will also be more sustainable and easier to manage. I am only 145 pounds (I am short) and I would be starving on 1000 calories.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    ED stands for eating disorder. 1000 calories is nowhere near enough to get the nutrients you need, and your supplements are not going to prevent the problems that such a low calorie diet will create for somebody. It is likely that a lot of what you lose this way will be muscle. Moreover, you will not learn healthy habits to keep the weight off - which is generally seen as harder than losing it in the first place.

For reference, I'm a 5' 3" woman who was as sedentary as you, and I've lost 27lbs in 3 months + 1 week eating 1500cal and exercising ~30mins almost every day (weights, jogging, 30 day shred, or walking). That seems plenty fast to me.

I'll put this here, and I really hope you will decide to pursue a healthier rate of loss, and perhaps speak to a professional about how you are feeling:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from OP. Trust me, some days I feel terribly frustrated with the 1lb a week weight loss I usually see. But, 5lb/week is going to be impossible to achieve after the initial water weight loss if you are not starting out extremely morbidly obese.
    Please be patient, eat at a reasonable deficit, and just hang on. Time will pass no matter what, and if you do the right things, in some months, you will be at a weight you are happier with. Just hang in there. Best of luck!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm very sensitive to very low calorie diets and especially if I am low on the fat macro. When I don't eat enough fat my body revolts and makes me extremely fatigued. I'm not sure how other people do it. For some reason I'm ok if I don't hit the protein macro, but go low on the fat and it's like I have a different body. You should listen to your body. Do you feel exhausted?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    A large salad with greens, tomato, shredded cheese, hard-boiled egg, and 3 ounces of some kind of meat is also about 400 calories and will probably be more nutrient dense (and possibly tastier) than some kind of packaged deal. Want a meal that takes no time to prepare? Put frozen shrimp, broccoli crowns, onions, mushrooms and green peppers into a large metal strainer and steam it for 10 minutes. Season as desired and serve over a cup of boil-in-a-bag brown rice. Same amount of calories as a packaged meal and all kinds of tasty stuff. Plus--one pot! Stick lentils in a crock pot with vegetable broth, onions, carrots, and some kind of seasoning, set it on low, and head off for your day. Delicious soup at the end of the day!

I am a lazy cook and would love for nutrient-dense food to pop out from the ether and land on a self-cleaning plate for me. However, there are many easy foods to make that taste great and are so much better than packaged foods (less fat and sodium, to start) that you can make, even with your schedule. Oh, and the Metamucil thing? Definitely an entree to eating disorder territory--and you're not losing fat, just body waste. Don't do it.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure you didn't gain all of your weight in 13 weeks so you should not expect to lose it in that amount of time. As everyone has already said, your expectations of losing 5lbs per week are unrealistic. A healthy weight loss is a maximum of 2 lbs per week. You may have some weeks where it's a bit more and some a bit less.
    What you are considering is basically a 'crash diet' and It is unsustainable over the long term. You will most likely end up regaining the weight. You need to find a way to eat that will not only help you to lose the weight but to maintain your weight loss. Please read the 'sexypants' link that a previous poster noted.
  • kathyervinrn
    Options
    Please reconsider your decision. Your body only loses 2--3 lbs a week in a healthy manor, any more than that and you are compromising your muscle mass. Your body will take what it needs from you in other ways, it does not limit itself to just your fat stores. It you digest muscle to provide your body with the protein it needs you will compromise your metabolism because muscle is a big factor in that process. You need to concentrate on your other assets while you are in the weight loss process. You sound like a very dependable person who is also a very hard worker. I am sure you will find other things about yourself to love as well. As for the vitamins providing what you need, there are many nutrients we get from our food that we still don't even know about. It is always better to get your nutrition from your food if you can. I am a bariatric nurse and see the gastric surgery done often. That procedure is not with out its own set of problems and things can go very wrong with that as well. I have also seen people have that and wind up putting the weight all back on. It can be a life line for some people but it is for people who have very little hope of getting there on their own in any other way. Ideally one would need to loose over 100 lbs of weight to qualify, you really don't. It is always better to lose it on your own in a healthy manor than to alter the way your body uses nutrition if you can. Some people really need that but I don't think that is you. The best gastric by pass docs I know require counseling and nutrition guidance with life style change before under going surgery so that when you get to the other side you can survive there. Seek counseling now so that you can learn to value the person you are and when the outside catches up you will be ready for it.
  • MollySC2
    MollySC2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you will compromise your metabolism.

Getting really tired of hearing this on this message board. Posting wives tells & lying should be a bannable offense imo.

I'm not going into detail why you are wrong. You can do your own research. There are plenty of peer-reviewed studies showing you don't know what you're talking about.