i need self- control!!!!

Options
I'm still new to MFP and it's really motivating hearing your stories and journeys. But at work my boss is always buying us lunch... pizza, subs, pastries, wendys, mcD's and its sooo hard to avoid those foods! How do you guys choose a salad or a shake over a yummy slice of pizza when the smell alone is amazing and its right there in your face!! i have gained 60 lbs since marrying my husband in 2007 ( and after having 3 kids) and i really need to get rid of at least 40-50 lbs!!!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to enjoy the free lunches and simply choose better options or eat less of what is available.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid those foods, just take control of your daily caloric intake by measuring out a portion for yourself. One slice of pizza won't kill your day. A small sub sandwich isn't a bad choice for lunch, really. Just familiarize yourself with what kind of portions you are looking at and what they cost (carb/fat/protein-wise).

Journaling your food intake will help you with these decisions. You will have a very realistic view of what you are eating, when and why.
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Log all your food in and you will really see where your calories are coming from. Like the other posts said, a piece of pizza won't kill your day. When it comes to sub sandwiches, leave off the mayo and oil and you'll have a nutritious sandwich. As you log your food, you'll see your food choices improve. Good luck!!!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It's all about deciding that your weight loss goals are more important than your excuses. Catered lunches are awesome and you can still eat the same things as your coworkers, but you need to get in control of your calories. If you boss brings pizza in have a slice and a large salad. Look up IIFYM and start counting calories for every single thing you eat. You can definitely do it! It takes some adjusting, but it does get easier.
  • shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm still new to MFP and it's really motivating hearing your stories and journeys. But at work my boss is always buying us lunch... pizza, subs, pastries, wendys, mcD's and its sooo hard to avoid those foods!
    That's easy, hire someone to ice your boss! lol

You'll get there, it's all about establishing your routine and then sticking with it. Today I had fries at lunch but adjusted my dinner intake accordingly so as to not go over my daily goal.

You're doing great, keep it up!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Make choices. Adult life is all about choices. You decide if the fast food is what you want. If it is, then make adjustments somewhere else. If you want that, and lots of other foods, then you'll need a (much) more active lifestyle.

LIFESTYLE (healthstyle?) is the key. We use the words here a lot, but really there's a lot of dieting going on.

What is your lifestyle? You decide that with your choices.

You make choices every day. Now make them for your health.

The key is honesty. Decide what you really want, and then make the choices that go with that. If you need to, read up, from some truly reputable sources. Ones that closely match your chosen lifestyle. My point here: if you're not going to lift weights, maybe a weight lifting site isn't a good source. Figure out what you can do for life.

best of luck!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had something slightly similar happen to me once
    I was doing a computer course during the same time as I was trying to give up smoking after being a smoker for over 20 years.
    The canteen had a smokers section and a nonsmokers section and all the people from my class sat in the smokers section.
    My choice was alienate myself from the rest of the people in the class or risk becoming a smoker again.
    I sat with the smokers and found my will power was stronger than I give it credit for.
    This was 12 years ago and I'm still a non smoker. Trust in your willpower. You've came this far....:wink:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I take a different approach than others. Unless I really want what's being offered, why eat it? I mean, I might enjoy the pizza, but if it's just a slice of pizza or a heaping bowl of broccoli with some lean meat and maybe a bit of pasta for probably half the calories, I'll choose the broccoli etc. or something like it every time. But that's just me. So it's about thinking about your options, deciding what will be most enjoyable to you, and fitting it into your day.

(I was at a conference yesterday and today with free breakfast and lunch provided. I ate breakfast before arrival, so I didn't even look at what they had--though I saw some yummy things on people's plates. For lunch yesterday, I skipped the cheese and dressing on the salad; and for the entree, I ate just the chicken/broccoli/tomatoes and pushed the pasta to the side. Today at the lunch, I ate just plain salad, fresh fruit, and soup--skipping the wraps/sub sandwich options entirely. Catered/restaurant breads can be SO high calorie that I typically avoid them unless I can look up the details.)

You can do this!
  • drey0422
    drey0422 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you guys sooo much!!! Its really hard but i will definitely keep more track of the calories I'm consuming. I've only been counting calories for the past 3 days but i'm gonna try my hardest to keep it up through this site. Thanks again :wink:
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I cook/bake at work, so I know all about workplace food temptations..

Sometimes I'll buy a really yummy beautiful piece of fruit and bring it to work. I've bought expensive grapes, beautiful nectarines, cherries, etc. I'll bring that out when I'm dying to eat a scone or cinnamon roll or fresh baked bread. A fruit and yogurt parfait is nice and sweet and feels like a treat, too.

I agree with everyone else that you could just have a small portion of the Boss Food, but if it's hard to control portion sizes, maybe try bringing the special and nutritious treat from home.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Self control and moderation is like a muscle--it only gets stronger if you exercise it.

Try taking a small treat with you to work, and eat that when your boss busts out things you know you'd feel better without. That way you stay in control, but don't feel deprived.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Just count calories. Tally the calories and don't go over your allotted calorie intake. You must count every calorie anyway, regardless of what type of food it is, in order to successfully diet.