Protein Powders

Options
Hey everyone! I've been a vegetarian for about five years now, and I've never really cared that much about my protein intake, and just assumed that I would get enough from greek yogurt, quinoa, cheeses, etc. But now that I'm trying to lose weight, I'm worried that I'm not getting enough to properly build muscles.

So, I'm curious: does anyone use protein powders? I've always been kinda off-put by protein powders, because they seem so processed and artificial, and I'm worried that they'd be more harmful than helpful in the long run. What do you guys think?Are they okay? Are there any protein powders that you would recommend?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    they are totally fine. they just have negative stigma because people consider them as the same type of supplement as ephedrine or any of that other crap that can be dangerous if you dont know what your doing. but protein powder is basically just food, its protein stripped out of milk or soy or whatever else

i would recommend any but a vanilla flavour, those taste disgusting. chocolate is best IMO
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use one on days that I workout, directly after ive worked out, to up my protein levels as I always seem to struggle to "eat" enough protein.

Mine is only 100 cal and I do think it can help with muscle recovery - it seems to anyway.

I always make with water and I get 24g of protein from just the one shake.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I use a protein powder called FormulX. They are new and they pride themselves on being "clean". I have the vanilla and its DELICIOUS! I use almond milk and add kale, spinach and fruit to it and its a complete meal. It keeps me full and I feel really good.

http://www.formulx.com/
  • sonotahipster
    sonotahipster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you, guys! I went to the gym today and asked some workers there about protein powders, too. I've just heard nice things all around! And, Monica, I'll definitely check out the FormulX. Thanks for the recommendation! :)
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use protein powders daily. My favorite brand is MTS nutrition the powders are manufactured in Wisconsin in NSF and GMP registered facilities. All the flavors are excellent and blend easily in water. Although not hugely main stream you can purchase them at this web-site...http://www.tigerfitness.com/MTS-Machine-Whey-Protein-5lbs-p/mtswhey.htm
  • fryebootgirl
    fryebootgirl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are an excellent way to supplement your protein intake. I use Cellucor. The cake batter and molten chocolate are very tasty! This brand does have artificial sweeteners, but I am fine with that. They are low carb and 130 calories per scoop. I mix them with unsweetened almond milk. :)
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes add protein powder to plain unsweetened Greek yogurt, num! I like strawberry and cookies & cream best. I agree that vanilla is gross if you plan to use it alone, but it works well if you make a smoothie and add berries. Chocolate is awesome if you adda bit of peanut butter or PB2.