On the Wagon, Off the Wagon... Please help!

Options
I've been struggling to lose weight for years now. In fact I can't think of a time I wasn't trying. I've hit 21 and I need to make the difference I was going to do hundreds of times before.

Can anybody explain why this keeps happening? Why do I constantly fall away from my fitness schedule and end up with a handful of fries in my mouth? Has anybody else experienced the on/off again thing for years and years or is this truly just bizarre??

I'm just so unsure of how to stay with my routine now. I need to so I can finally be healthy and grow into the woman I aspire to be. I'm fearful of losing my momentum again. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: my tracker shows I need to lose 10 pounds, but I do my weight loss in increments. I have exactly 102 pounds I want to lose.

Replies

• DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but I love your glasses. What brand are they?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable deficit, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Take "before" photos & measurements, and read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ArtsyAlexis
    ArtsyAlexis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but I love your glasses. What brand are they?

Thank you so much!
    They're actually Coach. I decided on a fancy brand for this newest pair because I've been wearing glasses for 10 years. Why not splurge??
    They've actually been the best I've had!
  • shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The reason it happens to me is when I wander away from MFP and stop holding myself accountable.

It starts in the mind, you need to try and find that discipline that says "Nothing tastes as good as being thinner feels" and hold onto it.

You can do it, have faith and great glasses. :)
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    Set a reasonable deficit, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Take "before" photos & measurements, and read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Awesome post!
    I'll definitely keep the photographs in mind. I've taken some front and side photos already. I think I'll take them every 10 pounds or so. I like the "long, drawn-out" transformation picture collections. Thank you!
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    The reason it happens to me is when I wander away from MFP and stop holding myself accountable.

It starts in the mind, you need to try and find that discipline that says "Nothing tastes as good as being thinner feels" and hold onto it.

You can do it, have faith and great glasses. :)

This helps a lot. I've never been thin. I've pretty much been overweight my entire life. I think that goes along with my problem as well. The fact that I have no clue how good it feels to be healthy is a big deal. Plus I justify it as "I'm happily engaged and he doesn't care if I get fatter."
    In reality it says I don't appreciate myself enough to try.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    i think when you have alot of weight to lose it can be overwhelming and feel like it will take forever, but time is going to pass anyway....i think being human it's ok to fall off the wagon every now and then but you just have to make sure the one or two days doesn't turn into one or two months, and get yourself back on track before you gain too much. I count calories and weigh in once a week, i write it down whether i gain or lose just so i hold myself accountable, seems to help.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I feel like I've been trying to lose weight all my life. It keeps happening because the fries are familiar. The fitness schedule is scary. I lost 115 pounds, had skin removal surgery for another 26....got down to 140-ish, and now I'm at 80 pounds lost due to "life happening when I made other plans".

First, realize your limits. Sometimes people think to lose weight they have to be Jillian Michaels and the food plan queen/king all at once and have it be the immediate transformation. That's not really the way it needs to go or should go. Sometimes you have to choose between fitness and food plan. If you're going to choose just one, pick making changes to the food plan. Small changes.....drink more water, get in more protein, get in more fiber. Make one change, then when you're comfortable that you're good with that, make another change...then just keep adding to it.

Second, get a fitbit. It syncs with MFP. Make sure you visit the "monthly" tab and that the calories burned are more than calories eaten. You WILL lose weight if you burn more than you lose.

Get more fiber in - I like the Chocolite Protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com, and you can get coupon codes off of www.retailmenot.com). 10g protein, 10g fiber, and 100 calories (all of those are average numbers) and are sugar free/gluten free. I have 1 or two a day.

Realize that you're human. Human's are fallible beings, and there will be times you'll slip/tumble. It's not a case of if but when. Acknowledge it happened, and that it doesn't make you an evil person or that you're whole day or whole week is wasted. It happened. You're human. Move on.

You can do this. Period. No doubt about it.
  • mermiths
    mermiths Posts: 12
    Options
    Get someone to help you - a friend or a relative who will be with you through the duration -- two people would be better -- one who will be a cheerleader and one who will keep you accountable. Know that there will be bad days but don't let that completely derail you. Plan A LOT of little rewards - new blouse-new shoes-manicure (or if you're limited financially buy a bottle of "fun" nail polish)-whatever. Make a BIG present to yourself at your usual falling off point (mine is 3 weeks!). Plan your meals the day before so you're not tempted. Prepare as much food as possible in advance-count the "Cheese-It's" and put them in a baggy rather than eating them out of the box (or you can count the entire box and put them all in little baggies of 10). Have healthy snacks which you love (my current yummy snack is Quakers popped caramel rice cakes--they come in bags of 100 calories). Don't totally deprive yourself -- one fudgesicle every now and then is a TREAT and 40 calories!

Don't look at the BIG picture - focus on small goals. 102 pounds is daunting! 10 pounds is "do-able". Take measurements - you may not lose weight but you will lose inches if you exercise. KNOW WHY you want to lose weight--write it down- put it on post it's in your car, on your bathroom mirror, in your drawer at work. Write yourself "congrats" notes. Good luck to you (from one who has been on the yo-yo weight loss plan for waaaay more years than you!)
  • melbrown22
    melbrown22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been an "on again/off again" person most of my life too. You're not alone, but it's lonely off the wagon for me. When I am off the wagon it is a dark and humiliating place for me. I am working on doing positive self talk and forgiving myself for a bad day. I found this quote today and it really applies to me. Maybe you'll like it too!

"Giving up on a goal because of a setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."

It just really hit me! There is such a wealth of knowledge on this site. Use it! (I plan to do the same!) :)
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    i think when you have alot of weight to lose it can be overwhelming and feel like it will take forever, but time is going to pass anyway....i think being human it's ok to fall off the wagon every now and then but you just have to make sure the one or two days doesn't turn into one or two months, and get yourself back on track before you gain too much. I count calories and weigh in once a week, i write it down whether i gain or lose just so i hold myself accountable, seems to help.

I think this is a big thing for me. When I eat something unhealthy or do a "cheat day" (bad idea) I tend to knock myself down and then I won't even log it. I think if I screw up I should still write down what I had.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the fries? Did they fall in your lap? Don't go to the drive thru or buy fries. Common sense and self discipline goes a long way.
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    I hear ya. I feel like I've been trying to lose weight all my life. It keeps happening because the fries are familiar. The fitness schedule is scary. I lost 115 pounds, had skin removal surgery for another 26....got down to 140-ish, and now I'm at 80 pounds lost due to "life happening when I made other plans".

First, realize your limits. Sometimes people think to lose weight they have to be Jillian Michaels and the food plan queen/king all at once and have it be the immediate transformation. That's not really the way it needs to go or should go. Sometimes you have to choose between fitness and food plan. If you're going to choose just one, pick making changes to the food plan. Small changes.....drink more water, get in more protein, get in more fiber. Make one change, then when you're comfortable that you're good with that, make another change...then just keep adding to it.

Second, get a fitbit. It syncs with MFP. Make sure you visit the "monthly" tab and that the calories burned are more than calories eaten. You WILL lose weight if you burn more than you lose.

Get more fiber in - I like the Chocolite Protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com, and you can get coupon codes off of www.retailmenot.com). 10g protein, 10g fiber, and 100 calories (all of those are average numbers) and are sugar free/gluten free. I have 1 or two a day.

Realize that you're human. Human's are fallible beings, and there will be times you'll slip/tumble. It's not a case of if but when. Acknowledge it happened, and that it doesn't make you an evil person or that you're whole day or whole week is wasted. It happened. You're human. Move on.

You can do this. Period. No doubt about it.

Thank you so much. This truly helps a lot. Your story is inspiring and I'm definitely rooting for you and your journey.

I want to get a fitbit really bad - the problem is that I just can't afford one right now. But once it's in the budget it's my first "luxury expense".
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    Get someone to help you - a friend or a relative who will be with you through the duration -- two people would be better -- one who will be a cheerleader and one who will keep you accountable. Know that there will be bad days but don't let that completely derail you. Plan A LOT of little rewards - new blouse-new shoes-manicure (or if you're limited financially buy a bottle of "fun" nail polish)-whatever. Make a BIG present to yourself at your usual falling off point (mine is 3 weeks!). Plan your meals the day before so you're not tempted. Prepare as much food as possible in advance-count the "Cheese-It's" and put them in a baggy rather than eating them out of the box (or you can count the entire box and put them all in little baggies of 10). Have healthy snacks which you love (my current yummy snack is Quakers popped caramel rice cakes--they come in bags of 100 calories). Don't totally deprive yourself -- one fudgesicle every now and then is a TREAT and 40 calories!

Don't look at the BIG picture - focus on small goals. 102 pounds is daunting! 10 pounds is "do-able". Take measurements - you may not lose weight but you will lose inches if you exercise. KNOW WHY you want to lose weight--write it down- put it on post it's in your car, on your bathroom mirror, in your drawer at work. Write yourself "congrats" notes. Good luck to you (from one who has been on the yo-yo weight loss plan for waaaay more years than you!)

Those are all brilliant ideas. In very vigilant about calorie counting in the beginning and then after two weeks or so I just collapse into this "oh I can treat myself" attitude that end up spiraling out of control. It's terrible.
    I think one of the best things that has been pointed out so far has been easing myself into a transition. It's a good plan and I do want this to be a lifetime change. I want to be proud of myself.
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    I have been an "on again/off again" person most of my life too. You're not alone, but it's lonely off the wagon for me. When I am off the wagon it is a dark and humiliating place for me. I am working on doing positive self talk and forgiving myself for a bad day. I found this quote today and it really applies to me. Maybe you'll like it too!

"Giving up on a goal because of a setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."

It just really hit me! There is such a wealth of knowledge on this site. Use it! (I plan to do the same!) :)

I love that quote! It's odd because it's come up just now for the third time this week. It just popped up out of nowhere but it's definitely true. Thank you so much for the support!
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Most of us are "on again - off again" because it IS really hard to stay motivated all the time. As long as you keep getting back on it things will get easier with time, and you'll be ""off again" less often. It's better to be "on again - off again" than to just be always off. Think about where you would be if you hadn't made progress in the past! You'd probably have a LOT more weight to lose.

Its hard, but when you have a bad meal/day/week/month don't just go "oh well, I've made this mistake, I might as well give up." Instead just acknowledge that you've taken a step backwards but that the oly way to fail is to give up.
  • ArtsyAlexis
    Options
    Most of us are "on again - off again" because it IS really hard to stay motivated all the time. As long as you keep getting back on it things will get easier with time, and you'll be ""off again" less often. It's better to be "on again - off again" than to just be always off. Think about where you would be if you hadn't made progress in the past! You'd probably have a LOT more weight to lose.

Its hard, but when you have a bad meal/day/week/month don't just go "oh well, I've made this mistake, I might as well give up." Instead just acknowledge that you've taken a step backwards but that the oly way to fail is to give up.

You're right about that.
    I always beat myself up for not continuing on with my last attempt because of "where I would be now if I just stuck with it". I never considered that it had helped me to at least lose a few pounds here and there.
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    Options
    I think it's almost like being an alcoholic- you have to hit your personal bottom before you can really dedicate yourself to changing your life. For me, I looked at myself at the beginning of the year and realized that I was about to turn 40 and was feeling miserable about the way I looked. I started off slow, adding 30 minutes of cardio every day that I wasn't already working out (I've been doing martial arts a couple times a week for 4 years), and then adding more intense cardio (group fitness classes). When exercise and eating healthier (but without counting calories) stopped working, I joined MFP and my weight loss picked up again. Now I have added weights and c25k. I feel fantastic and am starting to get compliments about the way I look.

If you are fed up with being overweight, I really believe you can do it. Don't give up, even if you stumble. Be honest with yourself! Good luck!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    For me I yo-yo'd a lot in the beginning. I would cut my calories drastically and work out like a demon, then fall off the wagon spectacularly and end up with even more to lose lol .

What helped for me was realising that I don't need to punish my body to make it smaller. I set a moderate calorie deficit, I found an exercise that I love (lifting and occasionally running) and I eat whatever I like (within my calorie limit). I eat chocolate every single day, in fact its the first thing I log each morning haha - knowing that I can have that at night really helps me to stay under my calories each day.

Oh and tracking is a major thing for me, if it passes my lips, it gets logged :drinker:

You can do this. You've set yourself up well to break your goal into chunks, now just be kind to yourself and do it!
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Think of it like your job; can you keep making mistakes or calling off and expect to keep your job or get a raise? Sure, there's room for an occasional mistake, but don't make it a habit. It's okay to have a burger or go indulge 1-2 times a month. Set that as a goal. 1-2 times enjoy yourself til you hit goal.