Motivaton for excercise.

Options
I am having trouble finding motivation to excercise. Does anyone have go to Mantra or advise on how to make yourself get up and at it?

Replies

• smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    my motivation to exercise is incentive for me to take a lunch break. I have a gym in my at work and the only way I take my lunch break when I go down to the gym. so my incentive to get away from work to go to the gym. + I find it is a good way to de-stress
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

Don't rely on motivation or "feeling" like you want to exercise. Make it a commitment and get it done, just like you would with brushing your teeth, going to work, etc.
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It comes from all different places. I'm not sure it's my one thing that gives me motivation right now. One days it's because I met someone on here whose done what I thought was impossible for myself, so I get up and go. Another day it's because I want to be healthy for my husband and healthy enough to have a child, so I get up and go. Then today it's because I'm going back home for the first time in almost 2 years for a wedding and I want people to see me differently, so I got up and went. You'll find the driving force one day. I know personally it takes time.
  • elle2max
    elle2max Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am literally like the laziest person on earth when it comes to exercise/fitness. I despise everything about it. The only thing I have found that motivates me to move was buying a Fitbit. I can look down at it all throughout the day and, if the number of steps I have taken isn't satisfactory, then I start feeling ashamed of myself and make myself take a walk. I know that 10 minutes of walking will give me around 1200 steps, so I just tell myself that 10 minutes is nothing and I can do it.

Sometimes I have to remind myself of that several times a day, but it gets the job done.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing, is the first part. It can be anything, just find it and if you like it, you'll stay with.
  • ftaylor1
    ftaylor1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try T25 it is 25 minutes, or find something you like such as dancing. The key is keep moving. :smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Here's mine: "Discipline is the instant willing obedience to all orders."

Also, it's a very important appointment that I have every day (even the days I am not interested). If I wouldn't cancel an appointment my boss sets I can't cancel my exercise appointment.

You might want to find something you enjoy, makes it easier to just do it.
  • theschultza
    Options
    The technology aspect of it motivates me to get active. Besides that, action first THEN motivation. I feel better once I have done it.

Dave
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment...and do it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

Don't rely on motivation or "feeling" like you want to exercise. Make it a commitment and get it done, just like you would with brushing your teeth, going to work, etc.

This. Stop waiting for Magical Motivation to fall out of the sky and do the thing you said you were going to do.
  • larosa217
    larosa217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When you're getting started, we have to be honest and sometimes say that the motivation just isn't there; but, the key is to do it regardless of how you may feel about it. You'll feel good once it's over and be glad that you did it.

Two quotes that have kept me going the past few months are: 1) some progress is better than no progress, and 2) an hour workout is only 4% of your day. Keeping both of those things in mind have helped push me forward in working toward achieving my fitness & weight loss goals.

Plus, these past few months I've learned that I may not always get to do what I love (being lazy), but over time I can learn to love what I do (working out & eating right) as long as I continue to keep at it.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "You are what you consistently do".

For me, I want to be healthy. I want my body to be healthy, I want my mind to be healthy. I have depression, and endorphins are my pick up of choice.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

This. Stop waiting for Magical Motivation to fall out of the sky and do the thing you said you were going to do.

Yup. Training for me is as non-negotiable as paying my bills or going to work. Its just a whole lot more enjoyable.
  • jimmyn6
    jimmyn6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    motivation is tough. When I was in school, it was easy. You're on a sports team, you're young and dumb.
    When I was doing army training, i had someone screaming and yelling at me, easy to to do.
    Post college, going with career work, it's tough. I can say 'no' all the time.

What has helped me these past months is the new person we hired. We both live in the same direction from work, so we carpool together at 540am , get the gym at work. Get a nice easy 30-45 minutes in, shower. Go work. After work, hit the gym again for an hour.

We don't always work out the same exercises together or anything, but I think the 'getting there' and being there part helps a big deal, and knowing someone is depending on you to show up.
  • dandee1307
    dandee1307 Posts: 15
    Options
    Just do it.

I completely agree. you just have to do it. It does help to find a sport you enjoy, but ultimately: Just get off the couch and do it.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Routine. Pick the days/times you're going to be exercising and stick to it - much easier than spending half the day having an argument with yourself about whether you 'feel' like doing it or not.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I usually find the music a good way of motivation. And you will see some progress in your goal, your motivation will be boosted!!
  • trombonegds
    trombonegds Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive words and advice! I finally made myself walk tonight, mainly because I went over my calories and I was disappointed, so I wanted to make up for them with excercise. I walked 2 miles and I felt amazing afterwards. I forgot how good that "high" feels!!! I am now aiming to walk every other day for now. :) Thanks again!