Discouraged

Options
KM0692
KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
I started tracking my food last Tuesday, sticking to 1650 calories a day. I had set my weight loss to .5 lb a week, as I didn't know if I would be able to stick with anything less than 1650 (I like to eat)! ;)

I got on the scale this morning and had GAINED 1.5 lbs! So frustrating. I even walked 6 miles the other night and didn't eat back the calories. So, I just reset my weight loss goal to 1 lb/week and I'm down to 1400 calories/day. Darn it. :(

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It hasn't even been a week - why are you messing with your calories already? Are you working out? Are you weighing and measuring your food? Are you taking body measurements? 6 days is no where near enough time to let your body adjust. Give it at least 4 weeks of measuring and logging, then reevaluate.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's normal for weight to fluctuate.

Please read the Sexy Pants post. Lots of good info.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates even if you are losing weight over time. I'm not going to lie and say it can't be frustrating when the scale mocks you, but hang in there. One week isn't enough time to get a clear picture.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    couple of things, all based off the asusmption that you started dieting and exercising last week

1. one week isnt enough time to see a real weight loss (by real i mean the weight came from fat or muscle) so give it another couple weeks

2. adding exercise into your regime will cause water retention in your muscles. this would mask any fat loss that you would've seen thus far
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I went out for dinner on Friday night, had two fabulous cocktails and made some good choices with food (fish, veggies etc). Got on the scale Saturday morning, gained 2lbs... Likewise, when I started exercising a few months ago, I didn't lose anything for weeks.

Daily fluctuations mean nothing. The only thing that counts is the trend (I set my weight loss chart in MFP to longest time period I can). Log everything for a month and take it from there. And try really hard not to freak out (that's the toughest part).
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Stay true to your calories-weight food...be honest...

The deficit will work. It just takes time.
  • salobrau
    salobrau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is just being cranky! Drink your water and keep up with logging everything and weighing or measuring. (no eyeballing your food portions) Don't use this as an excuse to slack off.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I'll stick it out a few more weeks at 1,650/day and see what happens. :)
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh, but if I ate 1650 calories without exercising, I would probably gain weight.

Additionally... When I weigh in the morning I weigh MORE than when I weigh at night. My regular weigh time is around 12:30am (I'm a third shifter) on Mondays, a few hours after my "lunch" meal, but prior to my "dinner" meal. I find that time to be the most accurate for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It hasn't even been a week - why are you messing with your calories already? Are you working out? Are you weighing and measuring your food? Are you taking body measurements? 6 days is no where near enough time to let your body adjust. Give it at least 4 weeks of measuring and logging, then reevaluate.

this. with only 8lbs to lose, 0.5lb per week is the max you should be cutting.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I'll stick it out a few more weeks at 1,650/day and see what happens. :)

Good news, keep at it!

With only 8.8 lbs to lose 0.5 lb per week is a sensible target. Give it time as weight loss is slower when there is less to lose.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh, but if I ate 1650 calories without exercising, I would probably gain weight.

I would gain at 1650 too if I wasn't exercising. Have your calculated your TDEE? I would look at some online TDEE and BMR calculators just to see if the amount of calories set by MFP is about right for you.

That being said, a week isn't long enough to see if you're in the right place, but I would do that anyway as a starting point.

Good luck! :smile: