Fitbit Virgin

Options
jennibee70
jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
Hi, recently bought a Fitbit Flex and, after a few hiccups because it insisted my laptop wasn't connected to the internet, I am wearing it for the first time today. I have linked it my MFP but I note it says I have to enter start times for all my exercise. I thought the point was that I didn't have to log my exercise? So today, I'm going to work at a desk all morning, walk to the shops at lunchtime, work at my desk all afternoon, walk to my aikido class, then do two hours of aikido. Do I somehow have to adjust my adjustment???

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fitbit in only really good for calculating burns for stepping-type activities, i.e. walking, running, etc.

For other activities, e.g. swimming, cycling, aerobics, weight lifting, circuit training, martial arts, etc, then it does not measure these well.

For these activities log them as an additional activity. For accuracy, log the correct start time and duration and the logged activity will override the fitbit reading for this time period. Log the activity on EITHER MFP or on Fitbit dashboard (not both). Which you choose makes no difference, it's personal preference. Personally, I just log on Fitbit.

If your fitbit is synced to MFP, then the calorie adjustment will automatically adjust itself to account for this.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's kind of difficult to accurately measure my aikido because I can't really wear a heart rate monitor on my wrist, too much grabbing around the arms, and it keeps getting re-set everytime I roll on my arm. Also I spend quite a lot of time sitting watching the teacher demonstrate a technique, then 10 minutes of mad activity running, falling, getting up again, then more time just sitting, so it's really awkward to log how long I was actually active for. At the moment I just add 500 calories of exercise for every session, so I was hoping that attaching my fitbit tracker to my bra might be a little more accurate. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear and adjust what needs adjusted.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    make sure MFP is set to sendentary (not active) as fitbit will track your actually movement threw the day and give you back cal`s as needed. Also if your going to workout other than walking / light jogging I would take the fitbit off and just log it (hence where the time comes in) don`t wear the fitbit and log the exercise though. I have the original fitbit ultra and LOVE it but it did have a small learning curve to it. I use the fitbit all day then take it off for workouts and wear my HRM during the workout ( unless lifting on those days I just give myself an extra 200 cal`s as you can`t properly track lifting burn but I know I need to eat more those days ).
  • Raycin1019
    Options
    I am on my second fitbit and i do like the way it syncs to here. I have walked a measured distance and then check the fitbit and found it is very accurate in logging the accurate mileage. It, combined with fitness pal is a great tool. i have probably cause at least a dozen people to purchase the fitbit and establish an account here.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's kind of difficult to accurately measure my aikido because I can't really wear a heart rate monitor on my wrist, too much grabbing around the arms, and it keeps getting re-set everytime I roll on my arm. Also I spend quite a lot of time sitting watching the teacher demonstrate a technique, then 10 minutes of mad activity running, falling, getting up again, then more time just sitting, so it's really awkward to log how long I was actually active for. At the moment I just add 500 calories of exercise for every session, so I was hoping that attaching my fitbit tracker to my bra might be a little more accurate. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear and adjust what needs adjusted.

If you'd like something more accurate for aikido than guessing, have you thought about a blue tooth HRM? You wear the chest strap but then your phone records it (no need to wear a watch). I've done this at the gym before. I'm not sure what the blue tooth range is, but it might be worth a try.