Any value in logging spices?

Options
Not including salt; which I consider to be in a class of its own for the purpose of this topic, does anybody see any value in the hassle of logging spices? I understand that they have micronutrient value, but does anyone think it is worth it?

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If I look on the label and the caloric value is negligible I don't bother. Mind you I don't use very many at all. I don't log my coffee either as it is only a couple of calories.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I log my spices as I use quite a lot in most of my meals. Even though it might only be 2-3 calories for a tbsp for most of the spices I use, it soon mounts up when you use a fair bit daily!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Me personally - No, no value.

I don't log 'trivial' foods like this with next to no calories
  • jenanon1
    jenanon1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't bother unless I'm doing (e.g.) a curry from scratch, in which case I log about 50 calories for the garlic, ginger, turmeric, fennel seeds etc. Just so I keep honest!
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I log spices and food most people would find have a negligible caloric value...three to four calories here or there can easily add up, especially when you cook from scratch.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I don't really, it's too much of a hassle for me.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't log them, I don't even log balsamic vinegar (15 calories a tbsp) because I don't use enough in any one recipe to make a real dent in the overall calories.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do if I am recording a recipe so I can use the same recipe next time. Otherwise, I might not bother.
  • RickDube64
    RickDube64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will typically log calories in spices, because they can add up. More importantly, it's about about a mind set. If I get the attitude of "oh, it's not much, not even worth thinking about", then I may start doing that when it comes to adding a dollop of butter to something, maybe a little extra oil in the pan, or not bother with measuring out the salad dressing. I have a very specific goal in mind, so I can't become complacent.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,561 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. But I do eat lots of curries. For canteen food without calorie indication (usually dry vegetable curries) I usually log an additional 10 kcal without specification. For the lentil soup I just cooked there's about 12 kcal of dry spices in there, plus lots of onion and fresh ginger. It's four portions, though.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't log them if I'm sprinkling some on chicken or fish, or over vegetables I'm sautéing. If I'm creating a recipe to log a particular meal, I log it all.

Things like fresh garlic, I'll log that when I use it.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about fresh onions, where the calories could be significant. I definitely log those.

I also like the idea of just putting a bulk number in to account for multiple added spices.

For the most part I assume that the negligible calorie count of spices isn't enough to offset the margin for error in my estimates, so I'm beginning not to bother as I am working on incorporating both accuracy and simplicity into my food logging systematics.

The high content of nutrients like potassium sometimes keeps me interested, by at the same time I don't allow myself to get too obsessive with the counting. My goal is sustainability with minimum hassle, which encourages further sustainability.

Thanks for the input. It's interesting to hear other approaches.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't think of onions, garlic, fresh chiles, etc as spices, more like vegetables, so they get logged.

Spices don't unless I'm using the recipe builder. Then I'll usually throw them in. I don't even log my Penzey's Brady Street cheese sprinkle. At 2 cals per 1/4 tsp (and I use about 1 tsp at a time at most), it just isn't worth it to me.

If 10-20 cals off means that I stop losing weight, I think I have a bigger problem than spice logging.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think of onions, garlic, fresh chiles, etc as spices, more like vegetables, so they get logged.

Spices don't unless I'm using the recipe builder. Then I'll usually throw them in. I don't even log my Penzey's Brady Street cheese sprinkle. At 2 cals per 1/4 tsp (and I use about 1 tsp at a time at most), it just isn't worth it to me.

If 10-20 cals off means that I stop losing weight, I think I have a bigger problem than spice logging.

Yep. This.
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I'm in the don't log unless I'm putting in a recipe to the builder camp. The only big spices I use are a spice mix and garlic really. I'm not even sure that I log olive oil / butter when using them to grease a pan, which is probably a no-no, but I'm losing. I think the big message is to not sweat the small stuff and it'll get your body to relax and therefore lose more weight.
  • twinkletwinklemeganstar
    Options
    I'm watching my sodium VERY close so I do log my salt and salt blends, but if there are no sodium or calories I just let it go.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I log them. Why am I going to lie about 3 calories. Hell yeah I added garlic powder. It was fantastic! Logging everything keeps me honest.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes Quick Add Calories if I put in minced garlic (7 cals), fresh basil from my garden (5-10 cals), and some minced parsley (2-3 cals worth). I'll just quick-add 15-20 cals. Honestly, I usually leave myself a spare 50-100 cals at the end of the day anyway to account for things like spices, a sip of beer, etc.