Body Frame Size

Options
2»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I actually got medium to large (I'm 5'5.5", and I measured just barely under 6.5" wrist size, so I'm not really solidly in either category) which is odd for me as well. I honestly would have guessed small or on the low end of medium. Despite how overweight I am, my wedding bands are a size 5.25 (and they fit right now) and my bra band size is a 34-36 (depending on the brand, which is just so irritating - we're talking straight inches here, people :explode: :laugh: ). I've got short fingers and average sized feet....the only part of my bone structure that is big/wide at all are my hips/pelvis.

I get small! My wrist and ankles are really small and the rest of me is now. I am solidly in the small category, but my hands aren't particularly small, but I have skinny fingers! My bra band is 34 now, and I've for loads of weight to lose, so at goal, I am sure my bra band will be 28 or possibly even more annoying!
    i'm definitely small framed but 20+ years of weight training has given me a pretty good amount of lean body mass.

According to my last body fat measurement, in order to reach my goal of 20% body fat i'd weigh 145 - 160 pounds which is a good deal above the 117-130 range that's given for most "ideal" weight calculators.

I'm very interested to see what weight I end up being once I reach goal mainly because I love the idea of being 30 pounds heavier than i look :laugh:

Mesha is my unofficial semi-body twin! I've got a goal of 22-23% body fat, and based on my lean mass guestimates, this puts me at a weight of 160 or so. But 117-130 is not really happening since my lean body mass is basically 120-128 anyway, so um, no.

So frame size helps, but it doesn't really consider muscle mass, which makes a huge difference.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am small boned but tall. I have only come to realize this in the past year, beforehand I always thought I was big boned. Nope.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate this could be. I dont have a tape measure with me BUT I used to be able to wrap my thumb and middle finger around and they would touch -- when I was thin. Now I'm fat and they dont touch. So there is obviously some fat around my wrist, which means... this can change and therefore can't be right IMO.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate this could be. I dont have a tape measure with me BUT I used to be able to wrap my thumb and middle finger around and they would touch -- when I was thin. Now I'm fat and they dont touch. So there is obviously some fat around my wrist, which means... this can change and therefore can't be right IMO.

It depends on how your body works too. I have the wrists of a skinny girl. :P. Mine have never changed.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    my wrists and ankles are so so thin. but I wouldn't call my hips thin. I would be small framed according to all these frame calculators, but I don't feel like that with my hips. Also my chest measurement is surprisingly big.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yep. I learned about the importance of frame size the first time I lost weight in my late teens. I grew up a fat boy and just assumed for years that I was "big boned". When I got down to a good size for a "big boned", larger framed guy I was surprised at how much fat I still had left. That's when I discovered that I'm actually a medium framed guy, more akin to my dad when he was a young man. Back then I just thought that there was no way my "big boned" self could get that low. I was wrong.
  • crikey_katie
    crikey_katie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    According to that I would be small framed with 6" wrists and 5'6 I don't think that's very accurate because I am built larger I would say as far as rib cage and other areas show.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    I got small-framed (5.5 inch wrist @ 5'4") and I thought I would probably be small-medium.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I didn't use the calculator but I have broad shoulders, massive rib cage and chunky wrists and ankles. It is what it is.

OP, I'm curious as to why you class having a smaller frame than you thought as a NSV?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Big boned, as I thought :c my shoulders are really broad which makes me worry that I won't be able to lose all the weight I want - or even that I won't ever be able to fit into that particular dress because the problem is it doesn't zip up the back properly and idk if this is because of back fat or because of my big boobs or wide shoulders... we'll see once I've lost more, I suppose ^-^
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I am 5' 3 1/2" and have always known I have a small frame because I have small hands, small forearms, narrow shoulders. Wrist is 5 1/2." My ideal weight is 112. Where is this ideal weight chart you are referring to-- is it on MFP?
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and wrist is 5.4inches so that puts me in the small frame for my height and I'd be in the small category even if I was under 5ft 2 - don't know if that makes me extra small :laugh:
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Small Frame? A bit of a shocker... being 5ft9 I always felt pretty sturdy for a girl.
    Maybe I just have teeny wrists, they do break pretty easily.