Hello, I am a newbie looking for college age friends :)

Options
Hello Everyone! Happy Monday to ya!

My name is Sara. I am 21 and am a student at Spokane Falls Community College. I am currently working on my Associate of Arts degree and am planning on transfering to Eastern Washington University for a Masters in Secondary Education. I eventually want to teach high school students in the areas of English, Speech, Debate, History, and Spanish. I am also a Debate Geek. :) I am on the team at SFCC. We are traveling 9 hours away to a tournament in Oregon next weekend! Whooohooo!

I joined MFP so I can be healthly. I am overweight and am trying to avoid getting diabetes...alot of people in my family have it so I am at risk. I also want to feel better and improve my moods. I am looking for some friends who are around my age to help me stay on track. I am always writing papers and speeches, going on debate trips, and working at my church....so I often times forget to log on....

Replies

• T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I'm a junior in college studying interior design. I totally know how it is, late nights and you feel like you need sugar to stay awake, candy, soda, pizza, the whole shebang. College is terrible to your body, and I'm on a campus with one of the largest greek communities in the US, so I go to the gym and see all these size zeros running and lifting, it's disgusting.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    hey! Welcome to MFP...you'll love it. I found it last spring in my freshman year of college and it really helps so much!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am a Senior in college, majoring in Event Planning. I graduate in just 6 short months!!!
  • hellotini
    Options
    I just graduated cosmetology school and I'm trying to get back into college. The break was nice but I actually miss school now. It feels weird.

I'm so afraid of diabetes too, runs in my family ):
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    Hey! I'm a junior in college and also looking for some college age friends. We gotta stick together to battle off the late night study meal cravings! Feel free to add me!
  • philreeduk
    philreeduk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hi guys about to finish my degree too can't wait though i have to work so hard if i want to get the top grade! I've had diabetes since i was 4 and its not that bad honest!! I would say i wish anyone to have it, but providing its well controlled and well managed it doesn't impact your life too much. All the horror stories you hear are from people who mismanage it!
  • mmorg0924
    Options
    Hi I am new at this too!!! I am a 24 year old mom/ college student feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • littlelioness
    Options
    College is hard to stay in shape at...I feel you. I'm not in college right now but I have been in the past. 19 years old.
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    6th and final semester for me! It definitely is hard in college to eat properly, it takes a lot of hunting around the caf, or alot of planning the day before ('cause I'm definitely getting up before school) packing a lunch.

If you have a mobile phone that has the capability, download the MFP app, keeps me on track.
  • greengraci
    Options
    Hey i'm new too! :D (18 years old college fresshie)

I found this app a few weeks ago and have been using it nearly daily(forgot a few days). Personally, I'm trying to gain weight(i eat like a a glutton but everyone pisses me off by saying I need to eat meat to gain weight).

I've actually found this tool a lot better for making sure I eat healthily and more to gain weight!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I am another college student 4th year in college I am finally a junior due to changing my major last fall. I am majoring in Human Nutrition and Foods to become and Rd (Registered Dietitician) school is very hectic. I work two jobs as well and on a crazy tiny budget. I seem to make it work though and wish the best of luck to you! Add away if you like.

Sorry for the double post I meant to edit it but his quote!
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I'm college age (25) since I finished uni three years ago. :(

To help stay in shape, I took a few kinesology classes (judo, weight training) for an extra 1 unit here and there. Pack your own lunch instead of buying stuff on campus!