Help me not to let myself down again!

Options
I've had issues here before with posts being taken down because of the mention of certain fasting or lower calorie franchise diets that I used to try to find friends on, particularly those who specify in shakes and no real food in a day.

I'm currently doing a counselling based 12 week "rehab" programme with a weightloss clinic and my GP that involves, basically, a VLCD. I'm trying to learn to come off this - for a meal, get back on the next day etc and conquer my binging and my fear of food when dieting, through some abstinence and counselling.

I have found a few rare gems on here who are supportive of this plan - one, I hasten to add, that has been medically recommended for me at this time. I am really looking for some new faces who will swallow their demons and preconceived ideas about this type of solution and help me out by keeping me positive :)

Think it's saving my life time, and I've really got to follow what the doc says.

Hope to hear some lovely positivity soon :D

x

Replies

• ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am very glad to hear that you are supervised by a doctor.

I have known a few people that have incredible amounts of weight to lose who have been on a medical supervised fast. Still, I can't help but worry about people doing VLCD because the world is full of food and our bodies have become very good at avoiding starvation.

For me, restricting food just sets me up for a binge. If you pull the pendulum to one side, it HAS to swing back to the same height on the opposite side. I am still working on the process of "legalizing" all foods so that carrots are not "good" and carrot cake is not "bad" and so that I am neither good nor bad when I eat. I like to say the fattest part of me is right between the ears. I've had to get my thoughts and attitudes in the right place if I want to eat less and not feel deprived.

Posting on the Forums may get you some support, but you will also get a lot of flak and know-it-alls spouting advice that they are not qualified to dispense.

I think you are a delightful person and I am cheering you on - whatever you do, please be kind to yourself. I highly recommend books by Geneen Roth. She writes about emotional eating.
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    Glad your helping yourself and have gone to a dr.

Last year I was 3 stone heavier than what i am now, and that was heavier than when i was full term pregnant! I did a VLCD diet that was advised from a 'non-virtual friend' which got me to lose the weight, i only put on about 4lbs afterwards from going back to a normal, but healthier diet.
    I got to a certain point and i cannot get off this exact weight i am now, it is not a healthy weight and i have no confidence in the way i look, so i am speaking to a dr and getting help too. They put me on Orlistat (for anyone who posts after me, please nothing negative about it, it works for me, i am aware of side effects, a dR suggested it and I am not interested in reading anything else about it).

So if you feel you need support and motivation, I dont log as religiously as i used to on my previous account, but i am on 9/10 days at least! Feel free to add me

As for specific programmes, so long as they are healthy and your DR has agreed, there is no real harm and i would just ignore anyone who says otherwise!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on the VLCD portion of your post.

I just want to say one thing. You have the power to take back control of your life. I never thought I did and always looked for outside things or other people to keep me from bingeing or to change my very unhealthy relationship with food. When I began to practice self control over my overeating, I realized that I am the only one who can do this. It's great to have support, but at the end of the day - it's always about you and what you do.

Keep working on moderation, self control and learning appropriate portion sizes. Once you master this (and YOU CAN) your life will change forever. You will look at food differently. You will feel SO empowered. Giving in to your weakness for food, breeds such terrible feelings about yourself. Start working on a different path. Get strong. Take you life back.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your unbiased support. See - this is the sort of support I need. Not concentrating on the actual plan I'm doing but supporting me in my quest to become friends with food again, so thank-you for starting that ball rolling.

I was on orlistat before for a few months - it was disgusting at times but hell did it work... If you have the willpower to continue that, you're a bigger person than I was.

:)
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow - you have lost 67 lbs. so far. That is great! That is a big percentage of your goal. One way or another, you are going to make this happen. Don't get discouraged.