Gym twice a day - cardio vs. weight

Options
Ideally, I'd like to go the gym once a day and do cardio and weights, but because of time constraints I could only go for shorter period during lunch and after work (darn train schedule) for about 45 minutes each. For cardio, I usually take a spin class and for weights, I do group exercise class with weights. Would it be better to spin at lunch, then workout with weights after work, or vice versa? Or does it make a difference? Thanks for all your input.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Personally, I alternate days so my muscles can rest approximately 48 hours from the strengthening exercises.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I alternate days. Running vs pole.
    Who has time to go to the gym for 2 hours a day? I certainly don't.
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A 20-30 min intense workout will beat any 2hr workout going mildly. I started my weight loss venture at 360lbs and have had ups and downs but one thing i know is if you push yourself hard in the gym with the weights and cardio your body should not need more then 30 mins. If you have a 45min window for working out then nail it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    A group exercise class with weights isn't really weights. Its more cardio.

You're using a light weight and doing a gazillion reps with it. You'd have better results with a program like Stronglifts which can be done in 45minutes or less.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Based on what you're doing, and with the rest you're getting between the sessions, I don't think the order matters.

Order would matter more if you're going back to back in the same session. Then you prioritize based on your goals.

Stronglfits is a great program and relatively quick (as per 603reader's comment), but I've found as the weights get more challenging, the workouts take longer. I currently estimate 60mins for my Stronglift session - which includes my lifting warm up and warm upsets, but not my walking warmup, or my post-lift stretches. I block 1.5-2hrs for a trip to the gym per workout.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i agree with the rest in between weight days. But actual weight days. Also I agree with the "weight" class as being cardio.
  • v1chang
    v1chang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jason_adams - thank you very much for your response to my question.

Thanks everyone else for your input. I understand that my workout routine may not be ideal for everyone, but that's what works for me and what I like to do.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on what will work for you.

I used to do 30 minutes of cardio first then lift. Then I was training for a duathlon and it wasn't feasible for me to fit my cardio in when I was at the gym because the times that I was either running, biking -- or both -- varied so I would lift in the morning and then do my training in the afternoon. I ended up liking that split better. I have slacked off on my cardio for a long time but I intend to incorporate it back in Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon.

And I agree that you should ditch the "weight" class and lift on your own. Yes, you're lifting but there's a lot of cardio involved too.