SUGAR.

Options

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly, there is no getting away from it I'm afraid the only fruit which won't harm your attempts to lose body fat are tomatoes and avocados. Fruit is too high in sugar and will hamper your fat loss by keeping your insulin levels high. Try to avoid eating so much fruit, and when you have achieved your weight loss goal you can include low GI berries such as blueberries and strawberries to your diet.

Um...no. This is nonsense. Eating fruit will NOT hamper weight loss. Eating too many calories will.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where you need to cut down or remove the stuff, sugar is actually no where near as bad as people make it out to be. If anything, I'd stop tracking sugar as I assume you're tracking carbs (sugar are carbs) and start tracking something like fiber instead. Enjoy your fruit and stop worrying!!

QFT
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Someone on this board gave me great advice when I had the same sugar concern. All of my sugars came from fruits and I refuse to believe that eating fruit is "bad" for you.
    I stopped tracking my fruit and switched my settings to fiber. I lack in fiber most of the time and this keeps me very aware of that fact!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly, there is no getting away from it I'm afraid the only fruit which won't harm your attempts to lose body fat are tomatoes and avocados. Fruit is too high in sugar and will hamper your fat loss by keeping your insulin levels high. Try to avoid eating so much fruit, and when you have achieved your weight loss goal you can include low GI berries such as blueberries and strawberries to your diet.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Did I say nope?!?!

giphy.gif
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Don't track your sugar, then it won't annoy you. As long as the fruit isn't making you go over on your total carbs or calories, it's not a big deal.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll stop tracking my sugar. Yes, I never go over my calories that's why it was so frustrating! Cheers for the help :smile: :flowerforyou:
    YAAAAAAY:drinker:
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yeah, I got told that they're the good sugars that you do need. But like when you actually monitor your food you do notice that things like bananas and grapes have more than others. I'm not going to stop eating fruit, because it's keeping me healthy, but it is just really annoying.

DON'T stop eating fruit!
    Maybe you can cut back IF your sugar intake is bothering you.
    However, if it isn't effecting you negatively, keep doing what you're doing.
    I notice I go over my sugar as well, but I went from eating cheesecake like a pig, to getting my sugar from healthy cereals and fruits. I even have sugar free ice cream. I love food, so I can't torture myself. I have to have SOMETHING sweet. :laugh:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    it's alright, the kombucha mushroom people sitting around all day
    will not be after you for overloading SUGAR \m/
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Sugar Nation by Jeff O'Connell. Read it - Educate yourself. Very enlightening and fully referenced. Sugar isn't as innocent as most people think it is, even from fruit. It's not going to hamper your weight loss if you stay under your calories, but it doesn't mean it's not causing other havoc in your body.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really worry about the sugar in fruit unless you have a medical condition. I eat fruit with 90% of my daily meals and pretty much have for the last two years or so. Keep eating fruit; it's delicious. You'll be fine. :wink:
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm sorry that's just nonsense. As someone who eats tons of fruit look at my ticker and how much it's impeded my weightloss

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that's just nonsense. As someone who eats tons of fruit look at my ticker and how much it's impeded my weightloss

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

A banana isn't the reason I am overweight, that's all I gotta say on this topic.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar (Refined or Natural) is just a carb. If you already track carbs, no need to track sugar.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I stopped paying attention to sugars. Actually I increased the max amount to 100g on my MFP app and swapped the sugar tracker on the website for the fiber number because I only eat fruits and in my book, sugars from fruits don't count because it's offset by other benefits like fiber and antioxidants.
  • tinadaybreaker01
    Options
    I eat 5-6 different fruits for my breakfast every day. The vitamins in fruit support your immune system and and there is zero fat in most fruits. The only sugar you should avoid is refined sugar and 'added sugar'. Fruit is essential in a well balanced diet. Try to eat a little protein at lunch as well. It staves off hunger and helps to repair muscle if you are a regular exerciser. Enjoy your fruit.x
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I eat bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe plus an ice cream bar every night. Somehow I have managed to lose 80lbs and be 12lbs away from my goal weight.

It is about eating within a calorie range and eating the foods that will add to your health goals.

I eat tomatoes and avocados along with all of those things that you think will harm my attempts to lose weight.

You might want to rethink your stance and the advice that you hand out to others. It might be your personal choice not to eat those foods but they do not hinder weight loss.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 different fruits for my breakfast every day. The vitamins in fruit support your immune system and and there is zero fat in most fruits. The only sugar you should avoid is refined sugar and 'added sugar'. Fruit is essential in a well balanced diet. Try to eat a little protein at lunch as well. It staves off hunger and helps to repair muscle if you are a regular exerciser. Enjoy your fruit.x

Why should I avoid refined sugar and "added Sugar"???