Our first 5k and I'm nervous!

Options
So, my husband and I signed up for our first 5k to take place on Saturday. We will be walking, not running. I'm a bit....okay, a lot nervous about it. There is also a 10k run going on at the same time and I'm worried about people finishing the 10k before we finish the 5k! lol We've been doing a few 5k walks to get prepared and we get it done in about the 58 minute mark. Is that like, super slow? I'm just nervous and needed to get this out. Thanks for reading. :D

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, people will definitely finish the 10k faster than 58 minutes so prepare yourself.

ETA: Don't be nervous though. You are doing this for you. Time shouldn't matter.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It will happen but nobody will care that you're walking. And you likely will not be the only ones doing the same thing.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    im not sure if thats slow for walking a 5K..since ive never walked it but i would tell you who cares how slow you are...really just go out there and have fun!!..if it take you 58 minutes so be it..you will still feel accomplished and get to enjoy the atmosphere that surronds the event,,Not mention it will give you a goal to beat next time...

Good luck with it!!
  • heatherlore
    heatherlore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself for doing it... you have to start somewhere! I have my first 5K run coming up in October and I'm nervous too but at least I'm doing it!
  • SInder2
    SInder2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    5k's can be a bit like a big party. People with joggers, little kids, costumes- it depends on the event. My daughter and I did a 5k bubble run a couple weekends ago and there was a guy dressed like a shower! just have fun!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Lots of people walk 5ks, so don't worry about it.

But yes, if the 10k starts at the same time, people will likely complete it before you complete the 5k. Hell, if there are cash prizes, the 10k frontrunners will finish before a lot people who are actually running the 5k. They will be running their own race, not worried about you, so just go out and enjoy your time!

Eta: If the 10k starts after you, and the leaders are hot on your heels, just stay to the right and out of their way.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I totally signed up for my first 5k this Saturday too! I'll be walking as well so you're not alone. :D
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Once the race begins all that anxiety melts away. Don't worry about all that junk. It's your race, no one elses. GO FOR IT!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The first one is the worst on your nerves but you'll be fine. I'd suggest at about 40 minutes you start to peek over your shoulder just to be sure none of those 10k people are hot on your heels but at the same time those are going to be the experienced people who know how to just slide right around you.

Good luck and more importantly.........HAVE FUN!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, don't worry about your speed, just enjoy the experience and remember to smile when you cross the finish line!

One of the beauties of races (whether you're walking or running) is that your only competition (unless you're an elite runner) is you. Your first 5K sets the basis on which you can measure improvement, it's also only fair to say that racing can be addictive!
  • cass_wilson
    cass_wilson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just started doing five k's this summer and don't worry about running at all! Back in May I walked a ten k!

Tons of people walk and even if you finish last-- you beat all the people who are still at home sleeping or those sitting on the couch.

I find most people are super encouraging and all that matters is that you went out and did your best!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's your race to have fun with however you like, but be mindful that others are out there for the same reason. Stay to the left, and be alert to people passing you, and don't force them to go on your right.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It's your race to have fun with however you like, but be mindful that others are out there for the same reason. Stay to the left, and be alert to people passing you, and don't force them to go on your right.

I think you meant to say " Stay to the right".
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Tons of people walk and even if you finish last-- you beat all the people who are still at home sleeping or those sitting on the couch.

Yep.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

It's been a long morning :p
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with ALL these comments! Go have fun and no worries, everyone is there with their own objective. I have done many 5k's and I don't even think about those around me. Most runners get into a zone and they only see the road ahead of them. Yes the 10k runners will finish before during and after you, but your aren't wearing a beacon saying I'm a 5k'er I'm slower than you. They have no clue and don't really care as they are in their own zone also. Just enjoy it. It's an amazing experience and take it all in as you only get to do your FIRST of anything once ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    tons of people walk 5Ks...yes, some 10K runners will finish before you...that's not the point and believe me, they're not going to care. Just do your thing...depending on the event, you're likely to see competitive runners as well as families with kids and pets, non-competitive fitness runners, people walking...people run/walking, etc. Just do your thing and stop stressing over nothing.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    So, my husband and I signed up for our first 5k to take place on Saturday. We will be walking, not running. I'm a bit....okay, a lot nervous about it. There is also a 10k run going on at the same time and I'm worried about people finishing the 10k before we finish the 5k! lol We've been doing a few 5k walks to get prepared and we get it done in about the 58 minute mark. Is that like, super slow? I'm just nervous and needed to get this out. Thanks for reading. :D

Hubby and I recently completed our first 5k walk. Our time was lower (him 59 min, mine 61 min) because we had the grandkids with us. Their parents were to run the 10k and 5k respectively but one dropped out of the 10k because of a respiratory illness. We were about 10 min into the walk when the first 10k runner passed us! I personally found walking the 5k a breeze because I walk that much and then some most days. Hubby did quite well for not being very active. When it comes to the runs/walks don't worry what others are doing. Get into your zone and worry about you. These types of events are a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of like-minded folks. There is another event coming up shortly that we are registering for, both as walkers. Enjoy your walk and have fun!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

It depends on the run/walk. The one we just completed was walkers on the left, runners on the right.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

It depends on the run/walk. The one we just completed was walkers on the left, runners on the right.

All this. Nothing is more annoying than having to run through a crowd of walkers, dogs, and baby buggies all spaced out.