calories and weight training

Options
Hi! So this question may have been asked before, but I am just confused about weight training and cardio. I understand that weight loss is calories in versus calories out. I just started a weight lifting plan called, Livefit by Jamie Eason. I have two questions to follow:
1. Will I lose fat and gain muscle eating at a small deficit of 250 calories per day? I have about ten pounds to lose so I know my goal must be smaller...
2. If it is calories in versus calories out, should I just do cardio as I burn more calories doing this?

The help and insight is truly appreciated,

Replies

• Tickwomp
    Tickwomp Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi! So this question may have been asked before, but I am just confused about weight training and cardio. I understand that weight loss is calories in versus calories out. I just started a weight lifting plan called, Livefit by Jamie Eason. I have two questions to follow:
    1. Will I lose fat and gain muscle eating at a small deficit of 250 calories per day? I have about ten pounds to lose so I know my goal must be smaller...
    2. If it is calories in versus calories out, should I just do cardio as I burn more calories doing this?

The help and insight is truly appreciated,

A person who is the same height and weighs much more can be much healthier. Muscle is denser than fat, so basing progress off of weight isn't always ideal (this is why BMI calculators are flawed- pretty much every pro athlete is considered "obese") I would suggest you go off of 1) body fat, 2) pictures 3) measurements.

You can technically burn more calories doing weight training than cardio. It all depends on volume and intensity. Ideally, you would do both.

I also want to add that when weight training, you may need to eat MORE to lose the same amount or more of weight. Weight training takes a lot of calories, and you can't maximize your lifts without proper caloric intake- therefor if you don't eat enough, you won't be able to life enough, and you won't progress as well. Also, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body requires to sustain itself (more muscle mass = more calories burned just by living)
  • Transforming_me
    Options
    Thank you for your insight! Any other thoughts?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a newbie to weight lifting and have a fair chunk of fat to burn it is pretty much impossible to gain new muscle in a caloric deficit.
  • Transforming_me
    Options
    Bummer! I was hoping that I would be able to lose fat and gain muscle while eating under my maintenance. Is it worth it to lift weights when I just want to lose fat?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Bummer! I was hoping that I would be able to lose fat and gain muscle while eating under my maintenance. Is it worth it to lift weights when I just want to lose fat?

Yes. It will help ensure you lose fat, not muscle while you lose weight.

And you can still gain strength while in the deficit.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Absolutely. There's no reason to not lift in my opinion. Cardio will burn calories while doing the exercise but muscle tissue burns more during the day. I guarantee you will be happier with the results if you continue the lifting program rather than just trying to lose 10 pounds.
  • Lorell9
    Lorell9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So are you saying if you have alot of weight to lose then you can eat less and gain muscle mass needed
  • Lorell9
    Lorell9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a newbie to weight lifting and have a fair chunk of fat to burn it is pretty much impossible to gain new muscle in a caloric deficit.

Sorry my question was to you.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Sorry my question was to you.

People have been observed to gain small amounts of muscle at a deficit, particularly if we're talking targeted spots of muscle vs. overall LBM increasing, but the general rule of thumb is that you're lifting to preserve the lean mass you already have and potentially gain strength when eating at a deficit. People debate this subject into the ground, but at the end of the day it simply doesn't matter. Whether you end up gaining muscle or not, you'll still see benefits from training hard and it's not worth your time worrying about whether you'll gain .5 pounds of muscle over many months or lose .5 pounds of muscle over many months. Just focus on training hard, getting sufficient protein, and let the cards fall where they may.
  • annafaith
    annafaith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1) Yes you can lose weight with the 250 calorie deficit. This will be half a pound per week but that's great if you want slow and steady.

2) Cardio does burn a lot of calories, but the muscle you gain from resistance training will contribute to your BMR (the calories burned at rest) which makes a difference over time. Plus lifting will give you nice muscle tone. I would recommend you do both if you are trying to lose weight and keep your heart healthy.
  • Tickwomp
    Tickwomp Posts: 27
    Options
    Most people who have been at it for a while are in the neighborhood of +500 cal for gaining mass and -500 for cutting. Any more and extra calories are unused and add fat, and any less and you lose your muscle gains. Yoyo dieting is bad. Just my .2 cents