Lifting......ouch!!

Options
So I figured for a fattie I was in ok shape. I weigh around 210lb but I can run 5k, have no problem completing an exercise DVD such as 30 day shred, walk for miles and miles every week. I also do my own bodyweight / kettlebell routine at home.

But I decided I wanted to get in to lifting so joined a gym and got a personal trainer so I wouldn't hurt myself.

Monday night (now Wednesday morning) we had a session lasting about 45 minutes. 7 minutes jogging and some stretching to warm up followed by lifting. Did weighted lunges and squats, chest press, tricep press and overhead press using dumbbells. Repeated three times. By the last few I was really struggling and pushing myself, but it felt like a really good workout. My arms were shaky on the way home and I felt tired and sweaty but good.

Yesterday morning DOMS hit and I hurt. Hurts to stretch, hurts to walk up stairs. So last night I had a bath with epsom salts and tried massaging out a bit with the hope that I would feel better this morning.

Get up this morning and OMFG it hurts to move!! It doesn't feel like an injury, just bad DOMS, but man this is painful!!! It hurt so much just to wash my hair in the shower as lifting my arms above shoulder height absolutely killed!!!

Few questions please:

Is there anything else I can do to help speed up recovery?
Is there any way I can avoid this next time?
Do I wait until totally pain free before lifting again?
Please tell me this won't happen every time!!!

It's seriously hurting....... but in a sick kind of way I know the pain is from working out and feel kind of proud of myself haha.

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Welcome to lifting!

Plenty of protein and adequate rest should do the trick. Glutamine is also really useful for combatting DOMS. It wont happen every time and you dont have to wait until DOMS are gone to go again, usually once youve warmed up you feel much less sore :)
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had some serious DOMS for the first few days but it goes away. Nothing hurts like that first week. Just keep at it. Enjoy!!
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh, tell me about it! Nothing worse. I thought I was reasonably fit and flexible too, until I started lifting.

I made sure to eat well (plenty of protein), stretch thoroughly, and rest. Keep at it though. It's so hard at first, but gets easier very quickly I promise.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, at least I am not alone!! lol.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Gentle swimming can be good for DOMS too since the water helps support your weight. Also try a foam roller?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's just the response to using muscles in a new and different way. They will ease up over the next few days, and in a few weeks after your muscles have adapted to your new routine you will probably not get so much in the way of DOMs.

I only tend to get them now if I make a dramatic change in my routine, or take a break of more than a week.

It's also fine to work out with DOMs, as long as you feel confident it is just muscle ache, rather than pain or injury. Most people find that they don't feel them once they are warmed up again.
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Thanks for the hints and tips everyone!

I don't have a foam roller, need to look in to that. I can get to a pool though so swimming might be an option!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    plenty of water and protein and time it will ease up
  • TexasPatriot
    TexasPatriot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think glutamine and stretching is about all you can do. But honestly it it still be sore. So, taking a pain reliever would be okay. I will probably be blasted for advising this but a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, such as ibuprofen (motrin, alleve,etc) or a comparable medication. The muscle has been injured and there is swelling in the area and that results in the soreness you feel. NSAIDs are used to reduce the swelling and hence reduce pain. It's an over-simplification of the process but you should get the point. Drink increased amounts of water, as well. This helps to flush out your toxins that contribute to the soreness.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    what ill add on top of what everyone else is saying;
    i find DOMS is worsened if you try to avoid using that muscle. stretch it out every once and then otherwise it seems to tighten up even more
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

To be honest I have been taking some ibroprufen and it has helped a little.

My legs don't hurt at all now, just my arms. They are definitely easing up a little though. I'm continuing to stretch them, even though it hurts, I am just gentle and try and hold the stretch. I have been doing it numerous times through the day while sat at my desk.

I rescheduled my next session with the PT for Sunday morning. I'm still going to go to the gym tonight and will have a jog on the treadmill and will try some of the weights but only go light. I do think that if I work the muscles a little and give them a really good stretch after it might help.

I don't have glutamine, I don't know what it is. Can I buy it locally from a health food place like Holland and Barretts (in the UK).

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, I really appreciate it x
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Call me a freak but I do enjoy the pain in the days to come - going to the toilet 2 days after a heavy leg day!? EPIC!!
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Call me a freak but I do enjoy the pain in the days to come - going to the toilet 2 days after a heavy leg day!? EPIC!!

Hahaha, one hand on the wall, one hand on the sink....... and slooooooooooowly down LMAO!!!!