Starting running.....need help

Options
hi,

i walk to and from work every day (about 3 miles altogether) but i'd like to start running but have no idea how to start. the last time i ran anywhere i was a teenager and even then i wasn't that keen to do it.
any help, hits or tips would be greatly apreaciated

thanks

:-)

Replies

• bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am using the Couch 2 5K on my phone and it is AWESOME!!!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I took it very slow. I'd walk two blocks, then run one, repeat. Then start stretching it out, walk two, run two, walk two, run three. Eventually you just drop the walking all together.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    runnersworld.com has a free training program and beginner running program. It's important to start slowly and build gradually to prevent injuries. Good luck!
  • Eporter727
    Eporter727 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you Google "plan to run a 5k" things like that, you get some awesome calendars and planners for the really first time runners. I would cut and paste you one but I have a new MacBook and don't know how,lol.
    Most of what I've read says add a little but of running to your walk in small increments. But Google and you will find great advice from running organizations.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    first and foremost, go to a running store and get fitted for appropriate running shoes. this will save you lots of pain later.
    then, just go on out and start running. stop when it hurts. you will notice after time you will be able to go further.
    signing up for a race (like a 5k) is a great way to get motivated and work towards a goal (i'm a very goal oriented person so this works for me).

runnersworld.com has great beginner advice

no matter how far/little you can run now you can do it! When I first started, i couldnt run more than a lap around a track (quarter mile), a year later i ran a marathon, and now I'm running halfs every few months.

Best of luck and if you need a buddy, add me as a friend!
  • krledvina
    krledvina Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started out with run/walk...2 minutes walking 1 minute running, it took me two years, but I ran my first entire 13.1 half marathon last spring. You can do it. Its all mind over matter.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is an awesome program, I started it last week have only done 2 days to far and it is fabulous. You can find the program at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I also downloaded some podcasts with music and all the ques of when to run, walk, and cool down and they are working out fabulously for me. You can find those at http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ The app also works well but no music attached to it and I find that super boring so whatever works for you. Also make sure you have the correct type of running shoes, I found this out the hard way. I received all of this fabulous advice from other members here and I am happy to share it with another member. Good Luck!!

Kendra
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to run even a minute straight... so i would run for 30 seconds, walk for 2 minutes, repeat, till I did 20 minutes. Started increasing to one minute run, then more.

about 8 months later I ran a half marathon in 2:20

there are several couch to 5k programs the one I give out to people I help out with running is the one I started doing when I first did it

downloads.self.com/self/pdfs/runners_training_plan.pdf
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    c25k...awesome!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in the Couch to 5K program, did it last fall and I've run two 5K's in the last 2 months with a third in 2 weeks.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Get proper running shoes, from a proper running shop with staff who know their business.

Running in plimsoles or running shoes that are not suitable to your foot shape or gait can lead to all sorts of problems.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    rea - g

I am actually in the process of training for a half marathon. I started very gradually with interval training. Run 3 minutes at a comfortable pace, walk for 2 minutes to recover. Do as many intervals as you can confortably. Gradually your indurance will increase and you will be running 4 minutes walking 2... then 10 minutes walk 2... then before you know it you will be just running no walking.

good luck!!
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch to 5K yesterday. If you are already walking, I think you will like it. I can't wait to run tomorrow.
  • mommamo5
    Options
    I LOVE C25K!!!
    (couch to 5K)
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    couch to 5k is the best!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Love Couch 2 5K. It's a great program and if you have an iPhone, they have an app. I also found an app for my Droid today which I will be using!
  • rea_g
    rea_g Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wow....thanks i'll definately have a look for the couch 2 5k and get myself some decent running shoes, I'll let you all know how i get on xxx
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    asics and new balance are by far the best running shoes. :)
  • clarkey72
    clarkey72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started "running" last year using the coach to 5k and am now addicted - I love it. Outside and with the dog its great. I am now using the coach to 10k. I did get up to running 10k but due to illness have lost it a bit so I am building up again using a controlled method. With the coach2 5k you build up slowly so your body gets use to it. Good luck!
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I agree with good shoes and start slowly. It takes time to build up and if you go all out too fast you will get injured. Focus more on the time you spend running, rather than distance to start out.
    I love running, it is the greatest antidepressant in the world. I started running 5 years ago and completed 2 half marathons last year. I'm currently training for my first full in the spring.
    Good Luck!