Choosing a protein powder

Options
SharpieV
SharpieV Posts: 26 Member
Quick and dirty: I am currently deployed so getting my favorite My Fit Foods (MFF) Whey powder (kind of a TX HEB brand thing) is going to be very expensive between the product and the shipping and getting someone to do both for me. Anyone here have any favorites I can try to order online that are similar?

Looking for not overly sweetened, vanilla or chocolate, and MAYBE, if I'm really lucky, someone who is also familiar with my favorite brand and can vouch that whatever brand it is they recommend is unlikely to be gross. So far, I know I like MFF and find Muscle Milk disgusting. Honestly, I like MFF so much I've never bothered to try others, which is putting me at a disadvantage now... I hate to buy, ship, and waste ones I don't like. I'll be poking around to see what my buddies have too, and might be able to get a hold of samples of things folks here recommend that way, but I don't want to mooch.

Replies

• monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I just got this protein powder from a semi-new company called FormulX, which prides itself on being clean and almost-paleo (except for the whey, of course). I don't know how much shipping to you would be, but I am sure they would work with you. Like I said they are new, and they are really nice and respond to inquiries really quickly, so it wouldn't hurt to ask. I have the vanilla and its DELICIOUS. I am not familiar with MFF, though.

http://www.formulx.com/
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition and MTS machine whey is what I use, fantastic flavors with both.
  • SharpieV
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has good reviews- I was wondering if the reality and the reviews matched up!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has good reviews- I was wondering if the reality and the reviews matched up!

I am new to the protein powder game but based on reccomendations here, have tried tried both the Optimum Nutrition double chocolate and vanilla ice cream. I am not a vanilla fan in general, but it's good. The chocolate is good as well. Smells like hot chocolate powder. My daughter vouches for the vanilla, lol
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Malt is my favorite protein powder.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Would you happen to be at Bagram in Afg?
  • SharpieV
    Options
    Nah, I'm not at BAF, but some of my friends are. Kinda glad actually- so many bigwigs there that the rules are tight and the streets are narrow (and must be crossed at right angles in a crosswalk while wearing a PT belt, LOL!)
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is my favorite. It dissolves really easily and mixes well with everything I've tried it with. I like the double rich chocolate flavor.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Second the motion - ON whey!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    pure protein chocolate mixes good with water for half the price
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I really like the EAS proteins. Though they are pretty sweet. I never get bloated/feel gross, and not super expensive.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition was mo go-to, but I settled on Cellucor. I love their stuff.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's all preference - I like optimum nutrition 100% - they do sample sachets. So do PHD and myprotein. I'd order a few samples from various websites then see which ones you like.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I went to GNC and purchased the GNC Pro performance chocolate milk powder.

It is super yummy and has 175 cal for 33 g protein
    lots of fibre, potassium etc as well. So far I love it
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Bodynutrition.com sells both of these and I love them both.

Trutein Cinnabun flavor
    Iso-Ology Chocolate flavor
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I really like the EAS proteins. Though they are pretty sweet. I never get bloated/feel gross, and not super expensive.
    Agree.

I use EAS Lean 15 Vanilla. I initially got it because of the calorie/protein ratio. 15g for only 100 calories. It's also pretty cheap.
  • bas3dg0d
    bas3dg0d Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I recommend optimum nutrition, but any isolate protein will work. You can tell how fine the protein blend is by how chunky it is when you mix it with water. You want something that mixes easily which is more pure. You should look into the differences between protein as well, the most popular are casein and whey. Whey for pre or after work outs and casein for long lasting slow breakdown throughout the day.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have 3 huge things of optimum nutrition. 2 gold standard whey (caramel toffee fudge, vanilla, and I've had strawberry in the past) and the Chocolate Oats and Whey one, which is great for breakfast
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm using Dymatize mocha flavour it tastes pretty good and it's only $90 for a 10 pound bag. Double scoop with milk blended with ice mmmmm.
  • newcabby2014
    Options
    VI Shakes taste great