Will One Gain Weight From Drinking A lot of Water?

Options
I'm not used to drinking a lot of water at all but today I decided to put in effort to drink a lot by drinking 2 cups everytime I eat. Today for the first time in forever I'm at 8 cups today and I haven't even had dinner yet so I'll probably be at 10 cups. I've been peeing a ton since I drank so much (TMI? haha) but I'm wondering if this water will stay in me or flush itself out. I ate badly yesterday and I thought that frinking a lot of water would flush out the bad things but I'm also a bit worried that drinking this much might just result in me weighing more and having more water weight? Is this true? Thank you!!

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    No, not on a long term basis. Your body will excrete (pee) what you don't need. NOT getting enough will slow weight loss.

Too much water, sometimes called water-intoxication, is a real physical problem and can be deadly - but we're talking several GALLONS for most people for that to happen.

In short, drink!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Plain water has 0 calories. You could drink a gallon of water and have it not do any permanent damage to your weight loss efforts. The only thing that would influence your scale is the weight of the water itself. If you are retaining water (too much sodium, TOM, or other issues) you will have a TEMPORARY gain in weight. That will last as long as it takes you to pizz it away. Keeping your body hydrated will keep you from retaining water. The body knows when it has enough and it will eliminate the excess all by itself, you just need to make sure it has enough to stay balanced (8 cups a day).
  • mariamxo
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • Kokoinde
    Options
    Also remember, there is a lot of water in the foods we eat, so those 8 cups don't have to be 8 full cups of water. Drink when you're thirsty, don't force yourself to drink water.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Yes, temporary water weight. Keep in mind that for every cup you drink, it adds half a pound of water weight.