ugh! tummy issues

Options
So to start off I hope I am not alone in this journey. I have lost at least 70 lbs since High School . Bounced from 170 in college to 140 to 122 (my grandpa was battling cancer and I lost from stress) to 138 where I felt awesome.Recently I lost only about 3 lbs but feel like my stomach is worse than ever. Feels much bigger to me, then when I was heavier almost like it's less toned and loose like!. How can I tone it up? I should mention I lost my weight b4 by running and cutting calories.Just recently started lifting some weights.anyone have ideas or tips for me?thanks in advance !

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think you're in the wrong forum, but the bottom line is, yes I have had this. Every time I'm about to lose a bunch of weight, I got this loose, bubbly tummy. It feels flippy floppy and untoned.

I have been told it's because the fat I've lost has been replaced by water, which is why it feels flabby and soft. It also makes sense to me that there physically isn't any fat there any more (because that's what's gone) and my body hasn't tightened up those spaces yet.

Take make it visual, one pound of fat is one pound of butter. That has just disappeared from your body.

Anyway, it does tighten up. Even though I don't like how it looks, it is a good sign for things to come.
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    Kinda my thoughts too ... Should I continue running with elevation and keep up weights? It just seems icky to me how.it makes me feel lol I also have been upping my protein and trying to drink more water. I do think I still have a bit of fat to lose in that area too though.I notice when I am sitting I have a decent amount of tummy left.:embarassed:
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, and generally the stomach is the last thing to go when losing weight.
    I suggest you incorporate strength/circuit into things at least twice a week if you can.
    I just started getting back into lifting heavy and I'm about 8 weeks in and I can definitely tell a difference in my stomach area.

Good Luck!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Standard crunches, etc. But if it's loose skin from a lot of weight lost in the past you might want to see a doctor to see if they can remove it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Standard crunches, etc. But if it's loose skin from a lot of weight lost in the past you might want to see a doctor to see if they can remove it.
    [/quote

Jesus Christ, no.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of Walking, and leverage Barre3 (combo pilates,yoga and ballet barre) to really work on overall strength and balance. I get my 10k steps in and do 15 to 30 minutes of Barre3 a day. it makes a significant, constantly improving difference. I also am very posture aware. I have a desk job, and I try to stand up 10 minutes of every hour I am awake - at least.

This month my husband and I are doing that 30 day ab challenge that was posted on Facebook.. we just finished Day 7, and I can tell you that planks are tummy tightening! I am starting my third year of maintenance this summer, and I think I will continue on my path with planks long after the 30 day ab challenge.

one more thing - Barre3 has a lot of "twists" in it. That really seams to firm up my midsection all around.
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    Cool thanks for the suggestions..planks are good . I am getting better at them. Anyone know any good kettle bell exercises?
  • Brittany029
    Brittany029 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of Walking, and leverage Barre3 (combo pilates,yoga and ballet barre) to really work on overall strength and balance. I get my 10k steps in and do 15 to 30 minutes of Barre3 a day. it makes a significant, constantly improving difference. I also am very posture aware. I have a desk job, and I try to stand up 10 minutes of every hour I am awake - at least.

This month my husband and I are doing that 30 day ab challenge that was posted on Facebook.. we just finished Day 7, and I can tell you that planks are tummy tightening! I am starting my third year of maintenance this summer, and I think I will continue on my path with planks long after the 30 day ab challenge.

one more thing - Barre3 has a lot of "twists" in it. That really seams to firm up my midsection all around.

Going to start doing my ab challenge again and also look into this Barre3 you mentioned.
  • bsmedsrud
    bsmedsrud Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on losing the weight! I have been doing Pilates for beginners for a while for a total body strengthening and I love it. Pilates focuses on core strength while strengthening the other muscles of the body. Maybe give that shot? Good Luck! :happy:
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What kind of lifting are you doing?
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!

Few different approach you can take, really depends on what you want.

Flat stomach - reduce BF%
    Strong stomach - Compound lifts, isometric exercises
    Flat & Strong stomach - Compound lifts with a calorie deficit.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Variety of exercise. I lift weights and do classes. I do what keeps me entertained. I hike, ski, kayak, bike, rock climb (in a gym) I do active things. Keeps me toned. I just spent a month recovering from surgery and thought I was a wobbly mess. I may have lost some muscle, but once back at the gym I found out I was still in great shape.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!

Few different approach you can take, really depends on what you want.

Flat stomach - reduce BF%
    Strong stomach - Compound lifts, isometric exercises
    Flat & Strong stomach - Compound lifts with a calorie deficit.

add in "patience" and "accepting that you can't spot reduce" and this is all you need to worry about.. OP.
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    So far just a few free weights like dumb bells and kettle bell swings. I also run on incline on my treadmill . Seems to me to help tone I think.
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    I lost my weight a year ago and STILL have some tummy to loose! its generally, IME, the hardest to loose and the last to dissapear. Highly suggest encorporating some HIIT or circuit training into your regiment....
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    What specific kinds? it sucks for sure work hard to lose then stress about what I have left to fix. I am up for trying anything to help.thanks for your reply!
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    I know its hard..dont stress though! this was a hard concept for me..some days I feel fat and other s I feel smexy..:)

I love Jillian Michaels personally..really enjoyed 30 Day Shred..have alternated through alot of others of hers too..even the "targeted" ones have abit of a circuit-y feel to them. its what I use.
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    O yes especially after losing weight. Sometimes I think your mind still believes you are heavier.kinda weird.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Its all about what you eat. Everyone is different but I'd say eat more leafy greens and white protein. Eat more clean foods and concentrate on core exercises. i.e. planks, crunches, yoga, pilates
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is my treadmill running still good cardio?then just add more core exercise?