Craving meat!

Options
I have been trying to reduce the amount of meat/poultry in my diet for health and ethical reasons. The past two days I've restarted fitness efforts by running early in the morning. Both days I have found myself really craving protein, and beans/lentils/quinoa will not do. I want chicken, beef, fish, eggs, and large helpings!

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Your body is designed to eat meat.

I feel weak if I don't eat red meat at least twice a week.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What are these health reasons?
    I can jump on board for abandoning meat for ethical reasons but most other reasons people come up with are absurd
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    um I eat meat when I feel hungry for it. I have found that you shouldn't deprive yourself of things or you will end up binging on them. meat is delicious (got my steaks marinating for dinner right now as I reply) eat some meat girl
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If the ethics bother you, find locally-sourced, organic, humanely treated sources for your meat and eggs.

If the health reasons bother you, get unbothered, because meat and eggs ARE healthy.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooooooove meat. I could never live without it. I try to do more chicken than red meat because it's leaner, but I by no means understand cutting it out for health reasons. As others have said, if you have ethical concerns, be more choosy about where you get it from...Red meat is an issue with what? Cholesteral, right? I dunno.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing, so I decided to just eat meat in moderation - red meat once every couple of weeks, chicken once or twice a week, eggs twice a week, etc. I felt a lot better- everyone is different and while some people can transition to a vegetarian diet with ease, I think it's best to listen to your body and eat a healthy amount of meat now and then if that's what you truly crave
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Meat is low-carb, delicious, and full of protein (obviously!) What more could you ask for? :flowerforyou:

I recently had a lot of calories left for dinner, and a whole avocado needed to be eaten immediately or it was going bad. So I had 7 1/2 oz of baked shredded chicken with a whole mashed up avocado and freshly ground sea salt and peppercorns. It was glorious.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Ethical reasons eh?

Hope you then also dont wear any leather products, etc.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    oh, and it isnt a meal if there is no meat involved.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I personally can understand why anybody would have health concerns after buying meat from one of the popular grocery store....recalls every week.....
    I do not have any ethical problems with it, though. My family raises beef on the farm, and the cows are happy and healthy until right before we butcher them. Same goes for the wildlife that happily raises its offspring around the house every year, currently 6 does with fawns. We protect them, spend money on feed to help keep them alive during hard winters, like the last one, and I see no shame in taking one per year for the freezer. It's a part of nature, and we just happen to have a lucky spot in the food chain.
    Also, our teeth would look a lot different if they were not meant to rip off a chunk of meat....
    Go for it! Bon appetit !
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can become vegetarian their bodies just work better that way, or need time, months to gradually retune. But you are making additional demands on your body and expecting it to change fuel as well. May be you are going too far too fast. I used to make myself eat cod and tuna, needed iodine then I found by using Yeo valley green tub yoghurt I was doing better than the skimmed stuff in the blue tub and one or two other changes out went the fish.

All the very best to you resolving your physical and intellectual needs.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Humans are meant to eat meat, we digest it better. But if you want ethical you better buy your own animals and then butcher them yourself, because you're not going to find actual "Ethical" meat products. Organic doesn't mean anything, the FDA doesn't have good guidelines for it. Cage free means they have a little box to move around in, not much larger than a cage. Grass fed doesn't mean they were always put out in pasture. You could also try farmer's markets, the Amish around here sell a lot of meat and that's the closest you're going to get to cruelty-free.

I eat a lot of vegetarian products meant to resemble meat; my grandma was vegetarian so I'm used to eating it after eating it for like 15 years of my life, but I like meat too. Morningstar bacon and grillers are decent meat replacements although they are expensive.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Some good responses. I just had a huge salad with about 5 oz shredded chicken on it and feel very satisfied. I will try to seek out more local pasture raised meats and just go with what my body is asking for (which most of the time seems to be meat/chicken/fish and veggies. And fruit. and water)