How do you stop the negative self-talk?

Options
I have lost nearly 50 pounds in the last 4 months.
Instead of being happy with this accomplishment, I have a hard time not focusing on the fact that 50 pounds is only halfway to where I want to be.
Instead of focusing on the fact that I have lost approximately 45 inches all over, including 11 off of my waist, I find myself worrying about my love handles and still-jiggly thighs.
Instead of enjoying my clearer skin, I think about the stretch marks on my tummy that won't ever go away (and yes, I have tried Mederma - it didn't help, and those marks are mostly from my nearly 9 pound baby over 8 years ago).
Instead of being happy that I have lost my double chin, I... well, you get the point.
I have such a hard time with negative self-talk.
I still feel fat and frumpy, even though logically I know I've come a long way. I can see that I've made tremendous improvements in my health and appearance (see below for a picture from New Year's Eve a year ago and this year):
2193703_4129.jpg
But still I focus on the imperfections that are still there.
How do I stop????

Replies

• Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow you have done so well and you need to keep reminding yourself this, perhaps look at you before and after pic more often. Keep up the good work you are an insperation :flowerforyou:
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When you find the answer to this PLEASE let me know! I am the same way! I know that 30 lbs is amazing but I still find ways to criticize and put myself down for not being farther in my weightloss or because I didn't work as hard as I could have during a workout!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to stop the negative part. But for me I look at pictures of me at my heaviest and then some of when I looked my best and it gets me going to want to be there again. I also know that when I do lose this heavy person I am now I will feel better cause I did it. I didn't give up this time, I didn't let it get the best of me! I committed to this and achieved it!
    You have come so far don't give up now!! I know you give me hope if I dedicate myself maybe I can lose 50 pounds in the same time frame!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A little bit of negativity isn't a bad thing. It can be what pushes you to kick that last 50lb out!
    I'm the same, I'm pleased at losing 2 stone now but It still feels like a long way!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT! You have made huge accomplishments! But you already know that. ;)

I did the FlyLady system for housecleaning once upon a time, and while the cleaning habits didn't stick, there were some things that did. A lot of what she talked about was learning to love yourself. The best exercise she had (IMO) was for getting rid of those negative voices.

Take a sheet of paper and draw a line right down the middle, top to bottom. On the left side, write down all those negative things. Every one. Every thought that hurts you and plagues you and keeps you down, write it there. If it's too hard, take a break and come back to it. Then, when you're finished, look at what you've written, and for each item on the left side, write something positive on the right side. So if one of your negatives is "I have so far to go," you can write "Look how far I've COME!" Change every single one of those negative thoughts with a positive affirmation. Then read THAT side of the page to yourself, and soak it in.

Get some pretty Post-Its (I like the butterflies) and write positive words on them, and stick them in places that you'll see them. Bathroom mirror, above the kitchen sink, on the inside of your front door, whatever. They don't have to be your affirmations that you wrote on the list, but they can be. If you like, you can do simpler things like "I am beautiful," "I am worthy," "I am healthy," "I can do this!", etc. Anything that makes you feel good. And yeah, you'll feel a little silly, but nobody else is going to care about your little notes as much as you think they will. ;) I used to think my husband would laugh at me so I put off doing it, but then when I put them up, he asked me what they were, and I told him, and he was happy about it. So do it for yourself. Writing the positives down, and having them up somewhere that you can see them, will help cement them firmly in your mind so you can shove those negative voices OUT!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wow you have made such a progress, stay strong! Dont give up! Its a long way and a huge fight, but you already proved you have the strength to do it, dont give up:))!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing and look awesome! Something that has helped me is to say to myself what I would say to a friend. When I find myself being negative, I reply with what I would say to a person that posted that comment on this site! It helped me this week. I went from "I only lost 1 pound this week." to "I lost a whole pound even after eating burger king once. I must be working hard!"
  • puddles76
    puddles76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would maybe suggest that you find a back pack and load it with 50 pounds of weights or books. Strap it to you and then go for a mile walk. That may help show the distance you have come and what it has really done for you.
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think its awesome you've lost 50 pounds!! You look amazing : ) Whenever you are feeling negative just think about all you have accomplished.
  • pgrady1
    pgrady1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Perfection is a very high expectation, at least for me anyway. You have done a great job and I am sure you will continue on your journey to reach your goal of a healthier you. Is it possible to drop the perfection goal and love yourself for what you have accomplished rather than the things you have not accomplished? I am only dreaming of reaching the 50lb mark. I have over 100 lbs to loose and I have only lost 8lbs. You are an inspiration to me, now be an inspiration to yourself.:heart:
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    OMG, YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Every time a negative thought comes into your head, remember what I have told you. If you have someone that is supportive, have them tell you often and without asking from you how great you look (my husband is always commenting on how "skinny" I am, but I'm not there yet :ohwell: ). Don't let your mind win this aweful game! You are strong enough to lose the weight, you are strong enough to tell your mind that YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Good luck on your continued journey.:flowerforyou:
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I'm the same way. I think it's a sign we've broken through our delusions that helped us live fat: that I'm not really that fat, that I wear it well, that my clothes hide it, etc. Now we realize how fat we are, and our dissatisfaction is a bit overwhelming.
    Now, just because I might understand why it happens doesn't mean I know how to stop it. I know I have a tendency to seek complements to help bolster my self esteem. Maybe we are just at a point that requires a lot of outside validation to keep us positive. I say, go ahead and seek the compliments, and I'll start: You look great and the progress you've made is spectacular! :heart:
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK AMAZING! You really do. The difference is awesome. I do a lot of negative self talk. Sometimes I don't realize how bad I'm doing it. I guess for me the biggest thing is to recognize it, and counter it with all the good things about me. So all those things you listed - when you notice you're criticizing yourself, stop and say, I AM this, and I do this, and I've lost this, and I'm still doing it. I do this, and it has helped tremendously. The more you do it, the less your negative self talk will be.
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    First of all, you look so great!!

Second of all, I don't have the answer - but I can relate 100%. I'm hoping a lot of my negativety comes from the fact that I'm not at my goal, and so I try to turn that negativity into own personal reminder and motivater to get there.

On my "I'm having an extra dose of haterade" days when the self loathing is at its highest peak, I take a good look in the mirror and find ONE thing that I've absolutely come to love on my body. Because let's face it, it's not ALL bad. My stomach may still be disgusting, but if I turn to the side, I can see my back roll is almost gone... my thighs jiggle (and prob always will..LOL!!) but if do sumo style squat (go ahead and get a laugh with THAT image!!) then I can see the muscle definition. It's this little things, these little accomplishments, that remind me that I'm doing it, and that even though I'm not perfect - I get a little closer to MY perfect each and every day.
  • PickyEater11
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I have only seriously dieted once in my life. I have not lost much weight but I have noticed a HUGE difference in my energy level. Maybe you can try to step back from focusing on the weight loss as a hole and start to enjoy all the new activities and hobbies you can start. I also have an 8 year old and he is always on the run. And now that I have found energy I can run around with him. A change in exercise by taking a hike, bike ride or different family activities.
    Keep up the GREAT work and focus your challenge on things that make you happy.

Thanks for sharing your photos. They are a very encouraging!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend taking a look at the book Feeling Good by David Burns. It was recommended to me many years ago, and I've recommended it to many others ever since:

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-Therapy-Revised-Updated/dp/0380810336/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295305728&sr=1-1

It walks you through the process of confronting your negative thoughts and getting passed them.

BTW - you really do look fabulous, and are making great progress!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I love the ideas from ajweekley!

I don't think there is a way to "cure" the negative self talk. I think we all have to learn to embrace every aspect of who we are. We are imperfect and negative self-talk is a part of our imperfections. I don't think it will just go away just like I don't think all the extra pounds will just go away. I think what IS in our power to change is how we REACT to the negative self-talk. So writing down something positive for every negative thing we want to say about ourselves and posting positive notes around the house that we will see and repeat on a regular basis is a GREAT way to REACT to the negative self-talk.

Be patient. Just as losing the weight will take time, so will it take time to learn to react in a more positive way to our negative self-talk. It is a process.....something we have to TEACH ourselves.....something that is as important to develop into our ROUTINE as is eating less calories, more fruits and veggies, and exercising more. This journey encompasses so many aspects of WHO we are and HOW we make our decisions. And we all thought it was merely about changing what we eat..............

::HUGS:: Hang in there! :)
  • sallyperry
    Options
    my congrates to you!!! you have lost the amount of weight that i would like to lose someday. the negative talk has been around for
    centuriess most normal humans don't really like themselves-- it is like any bad habit -- you/we have to break it -- my advice is don't
    let those thoughts linger for two seconds -- put your arms around yourself and say "i love me" they say it takes 21 days to break a habit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Practice. Practice practice practice practice and MORE practice. Same as anything else, learning self-acceptance is a skill that takes time and patience. Do a little something every day that makes you feel good about yourself, whether it's indulging in a bubble bath, getting a pedicure, or just wearing a fierce lipstick or favorite perfume.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You have done so well, Cory! I am so proud of you!

We all have those "negative" thoughts and images. I go shopping now and still buy clothes that are way too big for me. Sometimes I and am too embarrassed to return them. I don't think of myself as a Size 6/8 but still glance at the so called Woman's sizes and have to remind myself that I no longer wear those sizes.

After so many years I finally realized that I needed to put myself first. It is difficult for all of us who have been wives and mothers to put our own needs first. Even today I sometimes feel I am being "too superficial" by concentrating so much on my looks and my weight. Crazy, huh?

We are all on the same journey -- better health and fitness. However, we are taking different paths to reach our goals.

Let up on yourself some, Cory. You are doing great! Will you ever have the ideal figure -- an absolutely "drop dead" body? I don't know. But give yourself credit for where you are and where you started. One thing I do know, you will reach your goal. You are a motivating person here on MFP. You are doing this!