Options
wintervixen78
wintervixen78 Posts: 176 Member
I love Mexican and would like to hear your recipes and ideas. Thank you

Replies

• Final7
    Final7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love mexican and it is sooooo expensive to buy where I live not to mention full of calories!

Will watch this thread with interest!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What are you wanting to make, exactly? I"m Mexcian and have learned ways to keep the calories down on many of my favorite foods. Number one: BAKE and do NOT fry! Number two: use only either corn or whole wheat tortillas! Let me know and I'll send you what I have :)
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bean burritos are yummy and not loaded w/ fat or calories:
    whole wheat tortillas
    fat free refried beans
    salsa
    light sour cream
    avocado/lettuce/tomato
    2% shredded cheddar

Add the beans & cheese to the tortilla. Top w/ the rest of the ingredients. You can also add jalapenos, green onions....
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Simple Enchiladas (chicken or beef)
    - corn tortillas
    - onion
    - chicken or ground beef
    - cheese (monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar, whatever suits)
    - can of enchilada sauce or green chili sauce
    - optional: green chilis, jalapenos, tomatoes, sour cream
    - vegetable oil

Brown your beef and drain it or cook your chicken how you like and shred it (on the grill, boiled, broiled, baked, however you wish). Throw the onion in a little oil and sautee until clear. Some people fry their tortillas in oil, but since this is a health forum, I really recommend throwing them in the microwave on a plate under a wet paper towel to warm them and get them soft.

In a baking dish, stuff your tortillas with the onion, chicken or beef, chilis, jalapenos, and cheese. Do this until you run out of filling. Then cover the enchiladas in sauce and sprinkle cheese on top. Throw it in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted. Top with your lettuce, fresh tomatoes, sour cream, olives, and whatever you like.

Simple Tacos:
    http://sarasnee.tumblr.com/post/2517931330/taco-meat-recipe Is my recipe.

Simple Burritos:
    Get a can of vegetarian refried beans or fat free refried beans. Fill a flour tortilla with this and your choice of cheese. Microwave or stick in the oven wrapped in foil. Add salsa. NOM.

Now hungry, but will post more as I think of them.

If you REALLY want recipes I can do stuffed peppers, huevos rancheros (breakfast), it's all SO yummy!
  • sarah449
    Options
    This is really good and it is something you make in a slowcooker so set it and forget it.

Chicken Tostadas
    prep: 25 minutes
    cook: 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
    3 tablespoons of chili powder
    3 tablespoons of lime juice
    2 medium fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
    10 tostada shells
    1 16-ounce can fat free refried beans
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
    1 cup chopped seeded tomato

1. In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, chili powder, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic and hot pepper sauce. (I mixed chili powder, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl and then poured over the meat.)
    2. Cover and cook on low-heating setting for 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high
    3. using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and onion from cooker. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; discard remaining liquid. using two forks, shred chicken. In a bowl, combine shredded chicken onion and the reserved 1/2 cup liquid.
    4. Spread tostada shells with refried beans Top with chicken mixture, lettuce, cheese, and tomato. Serve with lime wedges.
    Makes 10 servings.

per serving: 285 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 87 mg cholestrol, 495 mg sodium, 21 g carb., 5 g fiber, 26 g protein
  • asm12707
    Options
    i love steak picado, this is a spicy dish so dont make it if you dont like spicy food.

1 whole onion
    1 whole green bell pepper
    4-6 serrano peppers ( depends how spicy you want it)
    1 can hunts tomatoe sauce no salt added
    2lbs carne ranchera not marinated
    2 tablespoons of garlic salt or to taste

cut onion and bell pepper in large strips
    cut serrano is small little pieces and put all this in a pan
    cut meat into little squares and put in pan
    put the lid on the pan and let the meat cook, when it is cooked add the tomatoe sauce and garlic salt to taste and you could turn off the heat at any time since the meat is cooked it just depends how juicy or dry u want it

this could feed like 6 people, it could be served with rice and beans or by itself
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I make an altered recipe from a Campbells soup cookbook for enchiladas
    whole wheat tortillas (I like Kansas Pride low in sodium and cal)
    Peppers and onions (about 1 med bag of frozen)
    1 tsp of chili powder
    5 oz chopped chili peppers (I use canned)
    2 cups cooked chicken or turkey (great after Thanksgiving)
    1 can of cambells cheese soup low in sodium
    1/3 cup of milk.
    1/2c of fresh salsa
    In med bowl mix milk ans soup together ans set aside.
    Fillin
    In large bowl mix peppers,onions (no need to defrost), chicken, chili powder and 2 tbsp of cheese mix.
    Mix well.

Roll filling in tortilla wrappers jelly roll style. Pour soup over enchaladas.
    Cover and cook for 35 min at 375 or until hot and bubbly.

Sometimes I even use about 2tsp of re fried beans. I also like to top with sliced black olives and extra fresh salsa. Make a side salad of shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and avocado (careful of the calories). You can even make cilantro lime rice to serve as a side. Fun for kids because it can be paired up with chips and salsa for a fun twist.
  • wintervixen78
    wintervixen78 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the yummy meals. I can't wait to try them!! :o)
    What are you wanting to make, exactly? I"m Mexcian and have learned ways to keep the calories down on many of my favorite foods. Number one: BAKE and do NOT fry! Number two: use only either corn or whole wheat tortillas! Let me know and I'll send you what I have :)

There's not one particular dish. I'm interested in lots of flavour. I love peppers, so anything with peppers. Any meat or chicken dishes. Oh and quick dishes. Anything you have throw it my way. Thank you!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Mexican Chicken Casserole with Charred Tomato Salsa

Total: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Yield: 8 servings
    Ingredients
    Salsa:
    8 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    1 small onion, peeled and chopped
    1 seeded jalapeño pepper, quartered
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    Casserole:
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
    1 cup diced zucchini
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 (10-ounce) can green chile enchilada sauce
    1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    Preparation
    1. Preheat broiler.

2. To prepare salsa, combine first 4 ingredients on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 20 minutes or until charred, stirring once. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Place tomato mixture in a food processor; add cilantro, lime juice, and pepper. Process until smooth. Set aside.

3. Preheat oven to 350°.

4. To prepare casserole, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion, corn, zucchini, and bell pepper; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and next 5 ingredients (through green chiles); sauté 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.

5. Spread 1/2 cup salsa over the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of tortillas over salsa. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture evenly over tortillas. Top with 3/4 cup salsa. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of each cheese. Repeat layers, starting with remaining tortillas and ending with remaining cheeses. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes until bubbly.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    Fat:
    12.3g (sat 6.1g,mono 2.8g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    26.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    30.8g
    Fiber:
    4.2g
    Cholesterol:
    74mg
    Iron:
    1.6mg
    Sodium:
    535mg
    Calcium:
    242mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles

A traditional Mexican breakfast favorite, chilaquiles (chee-lah-KEE-lays) is a sauté of day-old tortilla strips, fresh tomato sauce, cream, and cheese. This hearty version is baked. Refrigerate leftover chilaquiles in individual containers with tight-fitting lids. To reheat, drizzle with a tablespoon of water, and microwave just until thoroughly heated. Total time: 45 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 cup thinly sliced onion
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (7 3/4-ounce) can salsa de chile fresco (such as El Pato)
    15 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
    1 cup shredded queso blanco (about 4 ounces)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 450°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chicken; cook 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in beans. Add broth and salsa to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Place half of tortilla strips in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of chicken mixture over tortillas; top with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Pour broth mixture evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is melted.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    293 (15% from fat)
    Fat:
    4.9g (sat 1.7g,mono 1.5g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    22.9g
    Carbohydrate:
    40g
    Fiber:
    5.9g
    Cholesterol:
    46mg
    Iron:
    2.3mg
    Sodium:
    602mg
    Calcium:
    200mg
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a handful on my website: www.chefbek.com
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Turkey Empanaditas

Chill the filling before forming the empanaditas to help the dough stay tender. Rotate the baking sheets halfway through baking to ensure even browning. Serve with salsa verde.

Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 empanadita)

Ingredients
    Filling:
    Cooking spray
    12 ounces ground turkey breast
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup water
    1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
    1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
    Dough:
    3 cups all-purpose flour (about 13 1/2 ounces)
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    3/4 cup ice water
    Preparation
    To prepare filling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in chili powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Stir in 1/2 cup water and tomato paste. Cook 2 minutes or until turkey mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Place in a bowl, and cool to room temperature; cover and chill 30 minutes.

To prepare dough, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add chilled butter; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, add 3/4 cup ice water through the food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands.

Divide the dough into 24 portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining portions to keep dough from drying), roll into a 3 1/2-inch circle on a floured surface. Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon turkey mixture onto half of circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together to seal. Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and filling. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Place in zip-top plastic bags; freeze for up to 3 months.

Preheat oven to 400º.

Place frozen empanaditas on 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and tops begin to brown. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    110 (28% from fat)
    Fat:
    3.4g (sat 2g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.2g)
    Protein:
    6.5g
    Carbohydrate:
    13.8g
    Fiber:
    0.8g
    Cholesterol:
    14mg
    Iron:
    1.1mg
    Sodium:
    135mg
    Calcium:
    59mg
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my all-time favorite! So, when we go out to eat, I always order the Chicken or Shrimp Fajitas with NO OIL! Then, I eat the fajitas with no tortilla but straight off the skillet with guacamole and lettuce. It's surprisingly tasty and filling!

When cooking at home, I make tacos and I use ground turkey instead of ground beef and I use Whole Wheat tortillas instead of flour tortillas. I also buy the fat free refried beans (you can't taste a difference).
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    bump! gotta try some of these!
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Beef Carnitas Empanada

Empanadas are Mexican-style pastries filled with meat, vegetables, or even dessert. This family-sized version is known as an empanada gallega. It's served in wedges like a stuffed pizza. Pork Carnitas would also be a delicious filling. Leftovers are best reheated in the oven.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
    Ingredients
    Filling:
    Cooking spray
    2 cups vertically sliced onion
    1 cup sliced green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped seeded tomato
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 cups Beef Carnitas
    Dough:
    9 tablespoons hot water
    1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar
    2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    Preparation
    To prepare filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in tomato, red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in Beef Carnitas; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 400°.

To prepare dough, combine 9 tablespoons water and saffron; cool to room temperature. Stir in vinegar. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times to combine. Add butter; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly pour saffron mixture through food chute; process just until dough begins to form a ball (dough will be crumbly).

Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Working with one dough portion at a time, press dough into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover with additional plastic wrap. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.

Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap 1 dough portion; place on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle. Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Place both portions in freezer for 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.

Remove plastic wrap from 1 dough portion; place dough, plastic wrap side up, on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Spoon filling onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap from remaining dough. Place dough, plastic wrap side up, over filling. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Pinch edges together to seal. Cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until crust is crisp and beginning to brown. Cut into 8 wedges.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    251 (27% from fat)
    Fat:
    7.4g (sat 3g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:
    15.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    30.4g
    Fiber:
    1.9g
    Cholesterol:
    43mg
    Iron:
    3mg
    Sodium:
    470mg
    Calcium:
    57mg

Beef Carnitas Recipe

This simple recipe, which uses inexpensive beef stew meat, garnered our highest rating for great flavor and versatility. To freeze the carnitas, wrap them tightly in heavy-duty plastic wrap or foil, and place in a zip-top plastic freezer bag; they will keep in the freezer for up to three months.

This recipe goes with Beef Carnitas Tacos, Beef Carnitas Empanada, Spicy Beef Salad, Enchilada Casserole with Quick Mole Sauce

Yield: 4 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup less-sodium beef broth
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 large unpeeled orange wedge
    Preparation
    Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef; sauté 5 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides. Stir in broth, sugar, salt, and pepper; nestle orange section into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove and discard orange. Continue simmering, uncovered, 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    180 (40% from fat)
    Fat:
    8g (sat 3g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.3g)
    Protein:
    22.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    3.5g
    Fiber:
    0.4g
    Cholesterol:
    71mg
    Iron:
    2.5mg
    Sodium:
    320mg
    Calcium:
    16mg
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    tuna chilli,quorn mince chilli/enchaladas,and low fat tortillas stuffed full of vegies and salad :) yummy
  • winningthin
    winningthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The mexian charred salsa chicken casserole came from Cooking Light magazine and is incredible. My girlfriend and I made it together for our families on Saturday and it was incredible! The flavors were phenomenal and it was full of veggies, a perfect, delicious guilt-free meal worth every minute of all of the prep time.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You can find a recipe for tortilla soup very easily online and it's very healthy and can cook in the crockpot-may i suggest allrecipes.com, they have lots of recipes all tested and rated with comments from users. For burritos i use lean ground beef and brown, just add the taco seasoning when browning-no need to do it by the directions. Then add a can of diced tomatoes and some diced onion and a can of black beans. Then cover and simmer for at 10-15 min. stirring occasionally. You can use tomatoes with green chilies if you want it spicier. Serve over lettuce or on tortilla. Use light sour cream, avacados, shredded cheese, lettuce and diced tomatoes. I have no idea what the calories are but it's a very tasty meal. And most of the ingredients are healthy too!