Need a kick in the *kitten* or some good ole "you can do it"

Hello!

3 years ago I lost a good amount of weight and inches and just entered graduate school at the age of 35. It was great and with the help of MFP.

I graduated last summer, had a great experience overseas (I'm a health care practitioner now and volunteered) came back and transitioned from an old career and into post grad school life. I'm now 38 and have gained 45 pounds over the last 2 years!
I know what to do. It's been hard with new schedules, working at multiple places and commuting here and there and not having my old schedule and going to school then gym. I can't make my old gym classes that I love and trying to find new ways to get motivated, have the time, energy and stop eating the crap and overeating. I am wanting to really become disciplined the month of August, but needing some support. I have great friends, but everyone is so busy lately, I feel really on my own. Heading on vacation in September overseas with my boyfriend and friends and really want to feel great about it and more so coming back and feeling good for the fall. I wish I had a daily text or an app that says... move! and don't eat that! I also wish I was an early bird and could just wake up and go jog outside! So efficient!

I would love some words from those who have fallen off and persevered. It's crazy that I'm a health care practitioner and now the heaviest I've ever been! Ack! Hard to tell your patients what they should do when you can't practice what you preach. I think it has been a hard transition for me, but I know I gotta nip this in the bud!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    It may be "the freshman 15" but back when I was in grad school we all said it was "the grad school 45." Good luck!
  • tomee638
    tomee638 Posts: 64
    If you're active on Facebook, I'm in a group there that's helped me since there's so many people in the group. We're now around 500 people so someone's always posting a workout success or a nutrition question or suggestion. We have small groups for accountability (based on what workout program you are doing) and live team broadcasts via YouTube, where some coaches discuss a topic of the day, give shout-outs to people doing great, and take questions from the challengers live.

Message me if that's something you'd be interested in joining or would like more information.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Fallen off: present. I already lost 50+ pounds once, got complacent (not even at my goal yet!), then I gained it all back plus some! It's for sure hard some days to get up and do it without trudging around feeling sorry for myself because sometimes I think I shouldn't have to work, I already did it once! :huh: :grumble:

I hate the way I look and feel, so I just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. I concentrate more on my eating than my exercise. I'm in this for the long haul now, and I can't wait to feel amazing again!

I'm gong to opt for some good ole YOU CAN DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    LOL at the grad school 45--applies to law school, too. I have been there--I lost some weight and was in pretty decent shape, ballooned up 45 lbs, lost 15, gained it back, lost 30, gained back 15.

This time I am down lower than I have been since high school/early college days. You can do it. Be consistent. Track. If you feel overwhelmed, concentrate on one or two behaviors at a time. I recommend focusing on nutrition first, then worrying about exercise later.

Look at it this way--when you are successful, your patients will appreciate knowing you've been there, too! I would much rather get advice from someone who had been down the road rather than read it in a book.

You can do it! And feel free to add me--I am not promising to comment every day, but I try to support my friends!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Hello!

3 years ago I lost a good amount of weight and inches and just entered graduate school at the age of 35. It was great and with the help of MFP.

I graduated last summer, had a great experience overseas (I'm a health care practitioner now and volunteered) came back and transitioned from an old career and into post grad school life. I'm now 38 and have gained 45 pounds over the last 2 years!
    I know what to do. It's been hard with new schedules, working at multiple places and commuting here and there and not having my old schedule and going to school then gym. I can't make my old gym classes that I love and trying to find new ways to get motivated, have the time, energy and stop eating the crap and overeating. I am wanting to really become disciplined the month of August, but needing some support. I have great friends, but everyone is so busy lately, I feel really on my own. Heading on vacation in September overseas with my boyfriend and friends and really want to feel great about it and more so coming back and feeling good for the fall. I wish I had a daily text or an app that says... move! and don't eat that! I also wish I was an early bird and could just wake up and go jog outside! So efficient!

I would love some words from those who have fallen off and persevered. It's crazy that I'm a health care practitioner and now the heaviest I've ever been! Ack! Hard to tell your patients what they should do when you can't practice what you preach. I think it has been a hard transition for me, but I know I gotta nip this in the bud!

Thanks in advance!

Health care professional here too! Join the club and feel free to add me!
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Thanks folks... keep them coming!
    Gonna head to the gym and scheming to sign up for a half at the end of next month!
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Hello!

Thanks in advance!

Health care professional here too! Join the club and feel free to add me!

I think you said hello earlier, but I can't figure out this messenger/friend thing on here! Thank you though! I need the support! :)