help with weightloss

Options
I work out 6 days a week about 1.5 hours when I work out, but I am not loosing weight! MOst of the meals I eat are healthy, But I am starting to feel more hungry and I have gained a few pounds!!!!! What can I do to change this?

Replies

• alphasigalum
    Options
    maybe you are working out too much?
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I hear that you can actually gain weight but lose inches when working out. The reason is because muscle weighs more than fat. I'd suggest you take your measurements to see if you're losing inches. :)
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    r u counting everything you eat? How hard are you working out?
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more! Keep eating healthy items but up your calorie intake.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping an eye on your net calories? You need to eat back exercise calories otherwise your body has no fuel.
    Also, as Katiekangaroo said when you exercise more you do gain some muscle which weighs more than fat.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    drink TONS AND TONS of water!!! If you are working out this hard you are probably retaining a ton of water. also... probably need to eat more. dont look at your calories you have "eaten" look at your "net calories" obviously you dont need to log every workout calorie or eat them all but you want to be over 1200 for sure maybe even in the 1500 range on "net calories"

Im no expert but I know whats working for me!
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    when you say you workout 1.5hrs, what exactly are you doing? Are you doing strictly cardio? Or you combining resistance and cardio?

Usually if you are working out that much and is sticking to the amount of calories you should be okay unless you are eating more carbs than you are protein. Carbs tend to get you hungrier.

And yes sometimes the scale will go up or stay the same but you lose inches.

I would suggest measuring yourself and taking pictures of yourself every 2-3 weeks so you can see progress.

When you take pictures, make sure you wear the same outfit each time.
  • Sonidee
    Sonidee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Three things come to mind - one, yes you gain weight when you gain muscle but eventually it drop off pounds quickly. Secondly, are you getting enough protein for all the workouts you are doing? Protein keeps you feeling full as does plenty of water. Third, I've been told I need to drink half my weight in ounces of water... that's 85 ounces! If I just need that normally, how much more does some one working out as much as you are need to be careful to stay hydrated? Just some thoughts... good luck! Keep up the great workouts. I wish I could be where you are on that issue! ;-)
  • betty20
    Options
    Thanks I am working out pretty hard, so I know I am gaining muscle, but you know we all want to see that scale movedown!!! I am going to start writing down my food intake and keeping track of my calories! Thanks again for all the advice!
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    WHAT KIND OF WORKING OUT ARE YOU DOING? dO AS MUCH CARDIO AS YOU CAN HANDLE AND STAY AWAY FROM STRENGTH TRAINING FOR NOW! I SWIM, RIDE BIKES, RUN/WALK, AND USE ELLIPTICAL AS MUCH A POSSIBLE..
    IT IS NORMAL FOR YOU TO BE MORE HUNGRY BECAUSE YOU ARE BURNING MORE. ADD SOME MORE HEALTHY FOODS.. DRINK ALOT OF WATER AFTER YOU EXERCISE BEFORE YOU EVER EAT BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME YOU ARE JUST THIRSTY!
  • betty20
    Options
    I am doing mostly cardio, but I do add 30mins tree times a week of weights. I do spin and a zumba class too. I am going to try and remember that carbs make you more hungry also portion size on my plate the carb should be 1/3 of the size of my protien?
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    that seems like a good combo...i deff wouldn't recommend removing weight training completely as its a great way to burn more calories too...even after you workout it's still burning and great for your metabolism.

on my macronutrients i made it so that its 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. For carbs try to eat as much veggies as you can for each meal. If you are going to be eating rice, bread or pasta, try to do that right after you workout and of course not overload. Eat whatever the serving size amount is.

I just discovered quinoa so I will be using that as a replacement for my rice/noodles. It's a great form of carb and fiber..also high in protein. You should google it, its quite healthy for you. Plus i wanted to see if it really helps with stopping the migraines I get because its high in magnesium.

You should also try taking 100% whey protein powder before and/or after workout.

Also if you get hungry before bed time, try eating eggs or what I did was get Optimum nutrition nitrocore 24 that has protein powder and casein. Casein makes the protein shake thicker and its a great powder to drink for bed time as it breaks down slowly and overtime. Research more on it to better understand it. =)
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    How much are you eating? If you're super hungry and gaining pounds and working out 1.5 hours a day, I'm betting you're not eating enough food. Be sure to track your calories to see where you stand. Even if you don't want to routinely track (and some people don't) you need to do it for a week or so to see where you stand on an average day. Be sure you look at your NET calories (all calories eaten minus those burned) and make sure it is AT LEAST 1200, if not more.