Eating clean and exercising lots - no more yo-yo!

Options
You name the diet, I've done it... and over the last 20 years I've varied from 137 lbs to 190 lbs. I never seem to maintain, I'm always either gaining or losing.

Well I am done... no more, that's it. I don't want to be that person any more.

This time I feel truly ready to make permanent changes to my life.

Here's what I'm doing:

1) Eating clean - avoiding gluten, sugar and dairy - focusing on local, organic, fresh foods.
3) Exercising 6 days a week - swimming, biking, running and weights - throwing in a few triathlons and road races to keep me motivated. I also make sure that in addition to any work outs, I walk 10,000 steps per day minimum.
2) Tracking everything - obsessively.

So far so good. I started exercising back in March and was progressing well there, however, I just added diet about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Since then, I'm down 8 lbs. I have 34 lbs to reach my projected goal.

My BMR is 1370 calories (calculated using a DEXA scan). I generally eat about 1500 cal/day.

So far, I'm finding it all fairly easy but I do have a few issues:

1) I'm not very patient and really would like to see faster results. However, I've done rapid weight loss diets in the past and gained it all back because my core habits did not change.
2) I worry about whether I'm eating enough to burn fat, not muscle. But I also don't want to eat too much and not see quick results... a catch 22.
3) The summer involves a fair amount of travel for me and that makes routine and meal prep difficult.

I'd love to make some friends with people on a similar path... please say hi and add me as a friend.

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding gluten, sugar and dairy?

All you need is a calorie deficit and the weight will come off
  • Shermansb
    Shermansb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take your time. This lifestyle should enhance your life, not take it over.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are jumping on the newest diet trend(s).

Eat at a calorie deficit - lose weight

Eat all the foods - meet your macronutrient requirements.
  • akgreen324
    akgreen324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You said that you want to make sure you are eating enough to lose fat but not muscle? Can anyone confirm that this actually happens? Some days I am staying about 200-300 under my suggested cal intake (because of exercise). Is that going to eat away at my muscle?
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    my recommendation:

1) keep protein high, try and get at least 1g per 1lbs of lean body mass you have. If you don't know your current LBM, then you could just shoot for 1g per 1lbs of body weight. Its high but not crazy high.

2) get in the gym and hit up some resistance training. if you are inexperienced, follow a beginner program like StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. one of those programs will work well for you i'm sure

3) when maintenance period comes, the best thing you can do is determine your TDEE and build a diet plan that you will stick to. eating clean works for some people, but for most that diet will eventually lead you to cheat. take a look at my diary... i eat dirty as hell but keep it within my goals. this method works wonders for me as i am always eating my favorite foods (just in smaller quantities than normal i guess) so i never feel the need for a cheat day.

Consistency is key.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you found another yo-yo diet.

As everyone said, eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise = win!!! :flowerforyou:
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I failed at every "diet" because I would deprive myself. This year I just stayed at a calorie deficit, if I want ice cream, I have it, if I want carbs, I have it,even some fast food. It is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. It's great to eat foods you feel are "healthy" but, you also should not be so rigid with your goals. Also, whenever I "planned out" my exercise routine, I failed. Now if I feel like going to the gym, I go. If I feel like just walking a little, that is what I do. As long as you do something...anything you enjoy so you can keep it up. Remember, this is for life. If you are too rigid or deprive yourself, it is a recipe for failure. Just please re-think a little. Best of luck to you!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You said that you want to make sure you are eating enough to lose fat but not muscle? Can anyone confirm that this actually happens? Some days I am staying about 200-300 under my suggested cal intake (because of exercise). Is that going to eat away at my muscle?

As long as you're eating enough protein, this shouldn't be a worry.

Typically .8g-1g of protein for each pound of lean body mass
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are jumping on the newest diet trend(s).

Eat at a calorie deficit - lose weight

Eat all the foods - meet your macronutrient requirements.

This^^^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    If you're avoiding gluten, sugar and dairy just to lose weight and not for LIFE, then you're on another fad diet. Reassess. Your approach should be an intrinsic one and not an extrinsic one if you want to do it for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You name the diet, I've done it... and over the last 20 years I've varied from 137 lbs to 190 lbs. I never seem to maintain, I'm always either gaining or losing.

Well I am done... no more, that's it. I don't want to be that person any more.

This time I feel truly ready to make permanent changes to my life.

Here's what I'm doing:

1) Eating clean - avoiding gluten, sugar and dairy - focusing on local, organic, fresh foods.
    3) Exercising 6 days a week - swimming, biking, running and weights - throwing in a few triathlons and road races to keep me motivated. I also make sure that in addition to any work outs, I walk 10,000 steps per day minimum.
    2) Tracking everything - obsessively.

So far so good. I started exercising back in March and was progressing well there, however, I just added diet about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Since then, I'm down 8 lbs. I have 34 lbs to reach my projected goal.

My BMR is 1370 calories (calculated using a DEXA scan). I generally eat about 1500 cal/day.

So far, I'm finding it all fairly easy but I do have a few issues:

1) I'm not very patient and really would like to see faster results. However, I've done rapid weight loss diets in the past and gained it all back because my core habits did not change.
    2) I worry about whether I'm eating enough to burn fat, not muscle. But I also don't want to eat too much and not see quick results... a catch 22.
    3) The summer involves a fair amount of travel for me and that makes routine and meal prep difficult.

I'd love to make some friends with people on a similar path... please say hi and add me as a friend.

I avoid Gluten as my Hubby has celiac easier not to get it mixed up and cause him problems-I also changed to a clean diet-I try to eat fresh me make meals. Fresh vege's on the grill.Reduced sugar and attempting no processed foods-I am doing this for health reasons. Colon reasons. Started June 5th 2014-first 6 weeks dropped 16 pounds. And for the first time ever I feel normal in the morning constitution.
    I to am very impatient but tell myself this is a lifetime change-even planning on shopping when I get to NY so I do not fall on my lifestyle while vacationing. Tho I do plan on cheating and Having A Hoffman Hot dog. (you see I also gave up all pork products and eat very little red meat)
  • sorrias123
    sorrias123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too am impatient and want to see the weight come off instantly, but I have to realize that slow and steady wins the race...so slow and steady I go.

I started about a month ago with just counting calories and eating lost of lean meat and fruits and vegetables. I eat tuna on salads for lunch at least 3 times a week for the omega 3. I still have to work at getting more protein on a daily basis w/o too many added calories. I have lost four pounds so far.

Exercise starts today. I am starting out slow...30 minutes of moderate walking three times/week.

A pound a week is probably too slow for most, but I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything or pushing my body too hard with exercise. I've done that before, lost the weight, to gain all of it back and feel worse than when I started.

So, as I said, slow and steady :)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I too am impatient and want to see the weight come off instantly, but I have to realize that slow and steady wins the race...so slow and steady I go.

I started about a month ago with just counting calories and eating lost of lean meat and fruits and vegetables. I eat tuna on salads for lunch at least 3 times a week for the omega 3. I still have to work at getting more protein on a daily basis w/o too many added calories. I have lost four pounds so far.

Exercise starts today. I am starting out slow...30 minutes of moderate walking three times/week.

A pound a week is probably too slow for most, but I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything or pushing my body too hard with exercise. I've done that before, lost the weight, to gain all of it back and feel worse than when I started.

So, as I said, slow and steady :)

1 pound per week is fantanstic and more likely to be maintainable.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    What do you have against gluten, dairy and sugar?
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    Awesome that you are eating clean. So am I :)
  • wilbskinny
    Options
    I've done the same exact thing...I'm thinking if we lose the weight slowly...it will stay off