I go over my sugar allowance eating fruit?!

Options
I always seem to go slightly (10-25g) over my sugar intake. After looking into it I see its mostly coming from the fruit I eat....

Is it a bad thing to go over even if its fruit that's putting you over?

I have cut out all sugar from my diet - the only sugar I have comes from what I eat day to day.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    that sugar is good sugar....
    Dont worry about it
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    You should be fine. fruit sugar is natural sugar so its alright.

i would suggest mainly paying attention to the carb, fat and protein amount.

You should check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/, he also has a whole load of youtube video as well...on both nutrition and workout. =D
  • rlampton
    Options
    I noticed that also on my intake...before I started using this site I was eating alot of fruit each day...smoothies etc. I had actually gained a couple lbs. and I think that's why. Fruit in moderation at first is what I've always been told. Since cutting out most fruit to keep my sugar down, I've seen a difference in my weight loss.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I don't let it bother me, it's natural, good sugar. It's when I allow myself a little treat and it throws me over when I mentally slap myself. Then again, it's a treat and that doesn't happen every day.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies guys! I really appreciate it!

As usual MFP users come up trumps.

I will try to keep an eye on my carbs, fat and protein amounts and not worry about sugar if it comes from fruit.

:bigsmile:
  • petunia206
    Options
    Way to go getting rid of the sugar demon. I also have cut all the sugar out of my diet except for natural sugar. Don't you feel so AWESOME!!! Love it! Keep on eating those fruits! :D
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under on overall calories, don't worry about it. Carbs are the building block of energy, fruit included! Unlike soda and candy, fruit breaks down slowly for long term energy and is great for the digestive system. The USDA recommends 2 cups a day.
  • nw1977
    nw1977 Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't go nuts with fruit, as it will store up as carbs. Of course fruit is good to eat, so don't stop eating it, just try to eat your fruit before dinner. Eating fruit as a snack post dinner is just going to store up as carbs over night.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    Hi,

I had the same issue, I love them, and ate a lot before MFP. I had to cut them , and no weight gain again :)

I moved to vegs , they are quite good.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to worry about naturally occuring sugars in fruit. Food that has added sugar is what you need to focus on. I don't even track sugar on MFP because I know that most of the sugar I eat comes from fruit.
  • jlc2002
    jlc2002 Posts: 20
    Options
    as long as its not far over its ok. Even with natural sugars its not always the best. Try swapping out some of the fruit you eat for vegetables instead. It's the same nutrients for the most part, with no natural sugars :)
  • FerryfieldLad
    Options
    Way to go getting rid of the sugar demon. I also have cut all the sugar out of my diet except for natural sugar. Don't you feel so AWESOME!!! Love it! Keep on eating those fruits! :D

I did the 'I will just stop eating sugar and suffer for it' approach. Took two days fighting off cravings and then I was fine!
  • FerryfieldLad
    Options
    as long as its not far over its ok. Even with natural sugars its not always the best. Try swapping out some of the fruit you eat for vegetables instead. It's the same nutrients for the most part, with no natural sugars :)

Great tip - thank you!
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd week now and I have had the same bother since starting. I'm going to try cut the fruit portions down and add more veg! :)
  • Final7
    Final7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Honestly if you are not struggling to lose the lbs I wouldn't worry about them however everybody is different for example bread can be very good for you, full of fibre and proteins but is high in carbs and some people gain weight very easily if they eat it...the same can be said for good sugars and fats. At the end of the day they are still sugars and fats so everything in moderation but if they dont directly affect you in a bad way dont sweat them.
  • MarjorieTaylor
    Options
    Sometimes it's not good to eat a lot of fruit. With me the sugar doesn't help. I am a type 2 diabetic and whatever I eat doesn't change into good stuff so I have to really watch everything very closely. I've been fighting with the type 2 diabetes since 2002 and so far it is not under control. That's why I am here trying this program. I am a firm believer that if you want something bad enough you can achieve it. That's why I'm here and I want to lose the weight and get my type 2 diabetes under control. :smile:
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic it wont hurt you. If you are then it has to be tracked as any other sugar.