Marriage makes you fat...

Options
Haha.. I don't really believe that, or at least I didn't, but it was something people would tell me during my engagement. I got married in April 2012 and now I find myself 35 pounds heavier than I was on my wedding day. How did this happen?!

So here I am starting over, hoping I can find the motivation and strength to lose it again. It reeeealllllly doesn't help that as I type this, there's a banner ad for Domino's Pizza on the screen staring at me in the face. Mmmm.. pizza....

I'm hoping I'll meet some nice people here during this journey. :)

-Leslie

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to gain weight when in a relationship, married or not. So much of our social interaction revolves around food. It's easy to get in a pattern of over eating. Good for you for taking control of your health again.
  • JWS880711
    JWS880711 Posts: 1
    Options
    Use Google Chrome and Ad Block Plus or Ad Block plug-in to remove ads.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Marriage doesn't make you fat - complacency does. Just like with successful marriages - it takes hard work and effort to be healthy and fit.

(Edited for spelling errors)
  • tattooedmother22
    Options
    I recently got married (June 2013), also. I got pregnant shortly after so I'm led to believe this is the reason for my weight gain... Anyways, best of luck on your weight loss journey! And congratulations on your marriage. Best of wishes
    xx

PS... The ads are recommendations based on what you view regularly. Hehe it should go away after you look up healthier recipes vs take out.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    PS... The ads are recommendations based on what you view regularly. Hehe it should go away after you look up healthier recipes vs take out.

That's hilarious. Yes, I love pizza I can't deny it! That's pretty much what got me here. My hubby and I started having "Pizza Fridays" every week shortly after getting married because we were both too lazy to cook.

Good luck to you and congrats on your marriage as well, Tattooedmother22!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    for me it all depended on who I married...first time around I gained about 50 lb in 5 years after marrying a guy who loved to dine out, stick a lot of cheese on everything, not very active or sexual.

This time around is total opposite in all ways, my husband's a great influence in fact, and I've lost 100 lb since our first date without it even feeling like 'work'...he's lost about 20-25.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    Options
    Marriage doesn't make you fat - complacency does. Just like with successful marriages - it takes hard work and effort to be healthy and fit.

(Edited for spelling errors)

Very true. I don't really blame my weight gain on my marriage. It's my own fault. In my culture, getting fat when you're in a relationship is related to being happy. That is so far from the truth!! I might be happy in my marriage but being fat makes me very UNhappy. So here I am looking to change that.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    Options
    for me it all depended on who I married...first time around I gained about 50 lb in 5 years after marrying a guy who loved to dine out, stick a lot of cheese on everything, not very active or sexual.

This time around is total opposite in all ways, my husband's a great influence in fact, and I've lost 100 lb since our first date without it even feeling like 'work'...he's lost about 20-25.

Congrats on that 100 lb loss! You're right that your partner can be your biggest motivator or your biggest deterrent. My husband has been supportive in my efforts to lose the weight, but he also is more than willing to let me fall off the wagon whenever I want to, which is why I turned to MFP for support. It really isn't up to him to keep me on track but it would help if he held me more accountable!
  • tattooedmother22
    Options

That's hilarious. Yes, I love pizza I can't deny it! That's pretty much what got me here. My hubby and I started having "Pizza Fridays" every week shortly after getting married because we were both too lazy to cook.

Good luck to you and congrats on your marriage as well, Tattooedmother22!

I love pizza, too! Have you tried cauliflower crust with healthier toppings?! Its surprisingly delicious and simple to make! :) I love convenient foods just as much as the next person and just recently started trying to get back on track. I have found many great recipes on here that satisfy my cravings and don't take as long as I would have thought. My old excuse was that healthy food was too expensive, but I found a lie in that and am much happier and already feeling healthier. Feel free to add me! I went grocery shopping yesterday with a whole new shopping list and plan on playing with recipes. I'm a mother to a new born so quick, healthy and convenient meals will be on my agenda :)

Edited to add: I peeked at your profile and realized a fun fact that you're from Arizona. Hehe born and raised in Tempe, myself. Cheers!
  • LesliemarieAZ
    Options

I love pizza, too! Have you tried cauliflower crust with healthier toppings?! Its surprisingly delicious and simple to make! :) I love convenient foods just as much as the next person and just recently started trying to get back on track. I have found many great recipes on here that satisfy my cravings and don't take as long as I would have thought. My old excuse was that healthy food was too expensive, but I found a lie in that and am much happier and already feeling healthier. Feel free to add me! I went grocery shopping yesterday with a whole new shopping list and plan on playing with recipes. I'm a mother to a new born so quick, healthy and convenient meals will be on my agenda :)

Edited to add: I peeked at your profile and realized a fun fact that you're from Arizona. Hehe born and raised in Tempe, myself. Cheers!

I haven't tried cauliflower but that sounds interesting! I'll check it out and I'll add you too. Thanks for the advice :smile:

I was born and raised in Tucson. I always said I would someday get out of here (I hate this damn heat) but I'm still here and probably always will be. :tongue: