3 bottles of water - feeling the bloat

Options
tracymayo1
tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
So, I don't normally drink anything during a normal day...

10 oz coffee in the morning (which I usually DON'T finish)
250 - 375 ml 2% milk with dinner (not every night)
10 oz Black Tea in the evening (not every night)

I figure the fact I don't consume enough liquids could be what I am not moving weight wise (I understand its only been 24 days - but still, I DID lose 3 lbs in week 1!) So I decided to drink more water (and cut out coffee).

3 water bottle later during my work day and I feel SO bloated and heavy... I don't like water on the best of days, and basically had to force myself to drink even though I wasn't hungry or thirsty.

Is this normal? If it is I cannot see myself keeping this up very long...

Replies

• tomee638
    tomee638 Posts: 64
    Options
    It's normal now that you're just now intaking a considerable amount of fluids. In a couple days, your body will balance out while drinking more water. Some people say that you'll go to the bathroom less also when your body adjusts to that much water going in and out...although that hasn't happened for me. The more water I drink, the more I end up going to the bathroom.

Try your best to get 8, 8oz cups of water a day. I have a 16oz bottle that I refill 4 times a day.
  • MattNotFatt
    Options
    I am used to drinking a lot of liquids, I usually drank like 4 cans of soda a day and still drank water alot.

I always heard that your suposed to drink a gallon of water a day and i always noticed that when I was drinking my gallon a day I was losing weight even when I wasent eating the best and exercising. I think water is a big big must for weight loss..
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    I'm like you and don't usually drink a lot of water, but I decided to start going for the 8 cups a day (instead of my 1 cup of coffee and maybe...1 cup of water?) The first week I had to pee a lot. Now I had 15 cups yesterday and 10 the day before (at 8 today) and it seems like my body has gotten used to it! I'm also running 1-2x a day and was doing hot yoga on the more hydrated days. However, I feel great from it, and I'm down 4 lbs this week when I've been at a plateau for quite somet ime.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I figure the fact I don't consume enough liquids could be what I am not moving weight wise (I understand its only been 24 days - but still, I DID lose 3 lbs in week 1!) So I decided to drink more water (and cut out coffee).

3 water bottle later during my work day and I feel SO bloated and heavy... I don't like water on the best of days, and basically had to force myself to drink even though I wasn't hungry or thirsty.

Tracy;
    "Normal"? - who knows? (although I'd suggest the lack of weight loss has more to do with total cals in and the ration of carbs, fats, and proteins)

When I was a kid it was "normal" for kids in school to hit up the (common) water fountain when they felt "thirsty". Some never did,
    some once or twice a day, some 20 or more (but that was more to get out of class than a real "need").
    No body had even heard of a water bottle (and it wouldn't fit in your lunchbox), and all these years later I have still, yet to hear of one of my "kid" friends that died from dehydration.

But we're so much "smarter" now and the "common wisdom" is that if you don't drink 100 gallons a day (or whatever the number is this week), the earth will stop rotating on its axis.

Put your "faith" in the dogma, myths, and "wisdom" of self appointed "experts", if you wish, OR, ask the question "why?", "sez who?", "what does the research show?"

These forums are great for a lot of reasons but one of the biggest detriments (IMO) is the willingness of so many to simply "accept" the "gospel", the dogma, the "conventional wisdom", without question and without thinking for themselves.

Part of the reason (again, IMO) is the stupid "points", "sparkies", or "badges" that the various sites put on to up their "hit counts" and the inane one word posts "yes", "no", "maybe" that demonstrate the intellect of a telephone pole.

Worse than that are those that blindly regurgitate "common knowledge" for whatever reason or warm fuzzy it is they gain.
    We learned (or should have learned) long ago the effects of repeating the same thing "over and over" and that after you hear it enough times how fiction seems to morph to "fact" (oversized "air quotes").

I couldn't (and wouldn't) drink 64 ozs of water (whether 8, 8oz glasses, or 2, 32 oz jugs) every day if you held a gun to my head. I drink when I'm thirsty, it's worked for over 6 decades, and no one has shown me any definitive "proof" (beyond "common knowledge") that it's either harmful or likely to accelerate my demise.

In fact, for those that care to actually do a little of their own DD, there's a growing body of "evidence" that all that water (or whatever), might actually BE harmful (especially for those engaged in "endurance" exercise).

Here's a link that will get you started if you're interested.
    http://tinyurl.com/ns9apet
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Tracy;
    "Normal"? - who knows? (although I'd suggest the lack of weight loss has more to do with total cals in and the ration of carbs, fats, and proteins)

When I was a kid it was "normal" for kids in school to hit up the (common) water fountain when they felt "thirsty". Some never did,
    some once or twice a day, some 20 or more (but that was more to get out of class than a real "need").
    No body had even heard of a water bottle (and it wouldn't fit in your lunchbox), and all these years later I have still, yet to hear of one of my "kid" friends that died from dehydration.

But we're so much "smarter" now and the "common wisdom" is that if you don't drink 100 gallons a day (or whatever the number is this week), the earth will stop rotating on its axis.

Put your "faith" in the dogma, myths, and "wisdom" of self appointed "experts", if you wish, OR, ask the question "why?", "sez who?", "what does the research show?"

These forums are great for a lot of reasons but one of the biggest detriments (IMO) is the willingness of so many to simply "accept" the "gospel", the dogma, the "conventional wisdom", without question and without thinking for themselves.

Part of the reason (again, IMO) is the stupid "points", "sparkies", or "badges" that the various sites put on to up their "hit counts" and the inane one word posts "yes", "no", "maybe" that demonstrate the intellect of a telephone pole.

Worse than that are those that blindly regurgitate "common knowledge" for whatever reason or warm fuzzy it is they gain.
    We learned (or should have learned) long ago the effects of repeating the same thing "over and over" and that after you hear it enough times how fiction seems to morph to "fact" (oversized "air quotes").

I couldn't (and wouldn't) drink 64 ozs of water (whether 8, 8oz glasses, or 2, 32 oz jugs) every day if you held a gun to my head. I drink when I'm thirsty, it's worked for over 6 decades, and no one has shown me any definitive "proof" (beyond "common knowledge") that it's either harmful or likely to accelerate my demise.

In fact, for those that care to actually do a little of their own DD, there's a growing body of "evidence" that all that water (or whatever), might actually BE harmful (especially for those engaged in "endurance" exercise).

LOL - - I love this because it's so true. There's all sorts of opinions out there, and depending on the day they are all based on scientific proof. .

Water is good for you, but drink when you're thirsty. Your body does get used to having more liquid available to it, so the bloated feeling will reduce but don't go crazy just because someone said you need to drink a million glasses of water.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Tracy;

I consumed approximately 18oz of water while reading this.
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Getting enough water has been my biggest challenge for years now. I found when I first started drinking more is to increase slowly. Maybe try 2-3 glasses spread out for a few days or so and increase slowly? Your body will start craving water and you'll start to know when you need more. Too much of an increase too soon led to bloaty uncomfortable feelings for me too.