Do I weigh frozen veggies before or after cooking

Options
I've been weighing them before this whole time. Does that mean I'm eating less than what's stated on the bag or more? For example, the package of frozen cauliflower that I'm eating states 30 cals per 110 grams. Does that apply to the frozen or cooked weight? Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm so confused. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Replies

• mrrongilbert
    mrrongilbert Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am interested in that as well.... just because I am curious. I have been very disciplined about logging everything that goes down the hatch and have a solid understanding of how much I intake and am learning more and more about how much I burn so I know that (overall) the frozen vs cooked weight won't really make that much of a difference but if you are going to do it.... do it right.

I sure hope frozen/raw is the answer lol.... there are a lot of foods that would be tough to weigh after cooked...
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's probably the frozen weight, but you can check by looking at how many servings there are per package, and then comparing the net weight of the package to the number of servings x the weight of one serving. If they mostly match up, it's frozen weight. (And it really shouldn't be cooked weight, because depending upon how they're cooked, they'll lose more or less water.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's probably the frozen weight, but you can check by looking at how many servings there are per package, and then comparing the net weight of the package to the number of servings x the weight of one serving. If they mostly match up, it's frozen weight. (And it really shouldn't be cooked weight, because depending upon how they're cooked, they'll lose more or less water.)

Yes. Go by the package.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

The number of servings in a package is pretty much always wrong. So it won't help.

I weigh frozen when I can, cooked when I can't, in the end it's pretty close anyway. Those 'steam in the bag' veggies though, you don't really have a choice anyway, so I just assume cooked...