Do you want to lose weight?

Options
NO YOU DON'T! You want to lose FAT!

This is the best article I have read on fat loss and body recomposition.

http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tonight
  • narrowdoor
    narrowdoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow ~ lot's of info there but love how he breaks it down into recap sections as well...favorite quote:

"So if you ate a can of Tuna with 30gms of protein, that’s 120 calories. Forty of those calories would be used for digesting, leaving you only 80. Pretty cool hey? When it comes to carbs, the body only uses 6% for digesting."

The article is long, but full of valuable information, a good read!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Markos, the guy who wrote that is an ex power lifter. His son is 79kg (174lbs) and he PB's are
    Deadlift 230kg (506lbs)
    Squat 175kg (385lbs)
    Bench 110kg (242lbs)

Dude knows how to train people for strength and body recomposition (if that is their goal).
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    That kids figures have always impressed me!!

That bench is massive for 174 lb.

All those newsletters from that guy are golden goodness! Have invested (not wasted!) many hours reading his stuff. No crap, just fact.

This, along with the "4hr body" book by Tim Ferris are probably the best peices of fat loss advice availiable!!
  • katzplay62
    Options
    Brilliant article. Thank you for linking it.

Cheers

Kat
  • katzplay62
    Options
    Brilliant article. Thank you for linking it.

Cheers

Kat
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    marking my spot so I can read later!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Had a quick read of this and agree with all the principles. I have 1 question and 1 problem with it. Q: How much difference to BMR does, say, and extra 5-10kg of muscle make? If its in the realm of 200 calories / day, I'd rather do the extra 10mins cardio and do exercises I enjoy.

My problem with it is this: it assumes a particular ideal body type (muscular). I'd rather look like a 1500m swimmer than a 100m runner. I also enjoy the feeling of having strong cardio fitness, lots of flexibility, good lung capacity and good functional strength, but I don't care at all about how much I can press or squat. So I'm not sure how much I can take from the advice in this article. Instead, I tend to do a combination of running, cycling, yoga, taichi, pump (low weight high rep weights) and various sports depending on the season. The reason is because these exercises are enjoyable, varied and move me toward the physical attributes I prefer.

I'm interested in what you think of this position since I get told every now and then that I should be doing more heavy lifting, but I ignore it mostly for these reasons. Would be good to know what a lifting advocate thinks of them.
  • kim0913
    kim0913 Posts: 51
    Options
    BUMP
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    My problem with it is this: it assumes a particular ideal body type (muscular).

I thought the same thing. The last thing I want is to look like a heavy weight champ, but at the same time it still has the same principals for people that just want to be lean and tidy. The extent of exercise (type and/or amount) you go to may be a little different. I guess it's just a matter of rejiging your routine to maintenance once you’ve reached your ideal goal.

In terms of food though, it sounds pretty much spot on for anyone... not just dieters!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Dom: I don't know what the science says re increased BMR from muscle but I can give my own personal experiences. About 2 years ago I was 70-72kg with very little muscle mass (as a result of rapid weight loss with no strength training really, just body weight stuff and not very much of it). To maintain that weight, I was eating 2000cals a day. Right now, I weigh 75kg and am considerably stronger and I now lose weight eating about 2300-2400cals a day (training is 3times per week mma and 2-3 times a week heavy resistance training)

Re your ideal physique: So are you saying you would rather be lean than bulky then? That's fair enough and at the end of the day it is 80% diet and 20% exercise IMO. You want more bulk, eat more, want to get ripped, eat less and stick with compound lifting to help retain muscle.

I only started resistance training properly about 15 months ago now. Reason I started was because I knew it would help me greatly in mma (and it has). So I see it as as much of a requirement as skills training now. Plus I really enjoy it. Well mainly the crazy rush I get when I finish!

Mieke is right re the food. He does advocate doing cardio as well remember but training should be a mixture of both. Markos actually says "no point in being able to lift 200kg, if you get puffed walking up a flight of stairs".

When I was looking to just lose weight and not fat, the main exercise I did was long distance running and boxing. I lost 25kg in 9 months and my pb bench at the time was 40kg at 70kg body weight. I now weigh 75kg at around 10% body fat and can bench 100kg. (I would use squat or deadlift as an example but I didn't do them back then) I could also run 25km in 2.5 hours (not fast I know :P) and these days I don't run but with the other training I do, I know I am just as fit, if not moreso than when I was just running.

Variety of exercise is key IMO. Do some heavy resistance traing, do some yoga, do some HIIT, do some steady state cardio. Fit it all in and have a good nutrition plan and you will become a great all round athlete. That is my philosophy anyway :)
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bump