How to create a workout regimen? What's yours?

Options
Lately I have been feeling very lost about what to do to keep toned. I have heard terrible things about 30 days challenges/generic online workout programs. It seems like no one wants to give up their secret to staying fit! I am a women looking mainly to tone lower body and waist (I know there is no targeting specific places for weight loss/toning). Does anyone have an effective workout that they follow that works? Thanks!

Replies

• twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What kind of moving do you enjoy? The best suggestions are going to be ones that include things that interest you :)
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I started weight lifting by buying the new rules of lifting for women and did that 3 days a week. I then did 20 minute HIIT workouts 2 days a week.
  • Nova4Life
    Nova4Life Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks guys. What do you mean by what kind of moving I enjoy? I don't mind running and squats... Lol
  • twopeas2
    Options
    Ok, cool that helps :) I'm no expert, but my typical week consists of 2-3 runs (long run (every 10-14 days works best for me), tempo run, intervals), plus 1-2 pump classes, 1-2 body balance or yoga sessions and I've just added in at home kettlebell workouts. I work hard on 4-5 days and have 2-3 days to rest and recover. I have to fit it in around kids and husband's work schedule, but that's a pretty good example of my typical week :)
  • Nova4Life
    Options
    Thanks that really helps. How many miles are your usual runs? Oh and if it helps there are lots of hills where I would run.
  • twopeas2
    Options
    It's pretty flat where I run (thank goodness lol) and my long runs are up to 13kms at the moment (doing 15km for the first time this weekend), tempo runs are 4-5kms depending on what I can fit in and I do intervals for around an hour or an hour and 15 mins.

I'm in Australia, so not sure of the miles equivalent? I also only started running in January, so my long runs may be way different to what you consider a long run ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here is an article that you should read to help steer you in the right direction.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • Nova4Life
    Options
    So I jus found out 15 km is equal to 9 miles so your doing a lot by my standards. Your lucky you don't have hills. That's literally all I've got :P. Good luck and thanks again for the advice.
  • kms2072
    kms2072 Posts: 55
    Options
    I started weight lifting by buying the new rules of lifting for women and did that 3 days a week. I then did 20 minute HIIT workouts 2 days a week.

Can I ask what you most liked about this book? I really want to do lifting exercises at the gym but have no clue where to start or how to do them. Would this book be good for a beginner in your opinion?
  • twopeas2
    Options
    How did you go with getting a plan sorted? :)