is this a good daily exercise routine for me?

Options
when i go to the gym i usually go for cardio (the elliptical) for about 30 minutes and then ill go to do about 25 squats with weights, abs workouts, and lunge and lifts and arm exercises for another 25 or so minutes . i currently weigh 214, and im trying to get down to 135 , am i doing enough daily or should i do more intense workouts and longer?

Replies

• FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If your ultimate goal is weight loss, you need to be counting calories. You aren't going to out exercise over eating your daily allotment of calories.
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    Your trying to cut down body fat. The program I would recommend is the strong lift 5x5. I've been using it and I've seen good results. After each weight lifting session you will do some HIIT for about 15 min no longer than 20. You will not get big with heavy weights as long as you are at a calorie deficit.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    when i go to the gym i usually go for cardio (the elliptical) for about 30 minutes and then ill go to do about 25 squats with weights, abs workouts, and lunge and lifts and arm exercises for another 25 or so minutes . i currently weigh 214, and im trying to get down to 135 , am i doing enough daily or should i do more intense workouts and longer?

All those sound like good things, but like nickyv suggested, I would follow a strength training program, such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Lifts, Strong Curves, etc. That way you can actually see your improvement and have more efficient workouts.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

All those sound like good things, but like nickyv suggested, I would follow a strength training program, such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Lifts, Strong Curves, etc. That way you can actually see your improvement and have more efficient workouts.

agreed.

the purpose of progressive overload strength training while you lose weight, especially when you have a significant amount to lose, is that you make sure that your body preserves as much of your lean body mass as possible which means that most of what you will be burning off is fat and not muscle.

just eat a deficit of 10%-20% of your TDEE, progressively overload the muscles (which basically means increasing the weight you use on a consistent basis) and profit .
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. Weight loss/management is in the kitchen. Fat loss will come from eating less calories than you burn. Eating good food fuels your body and usually has lower calories so that you can eat a volume that keeps you fuller longer. That keeps you happy while eating less calories. Lower calories and eat as clean as possible as often as possible.

2. Exercise to get fit and build muscles that burn more calories even while at rest.

You should flip flop your workout. Lift first, using up the energy from what you may have eaten (fuel those muscles for the best lift), then, where's your body going to find the energy to go hard at cardio? Basically, body fat. So weights first followed by cardio. Maximize cardio by making them HIITs and it will be killer.

Good for you for getting it done either way. :wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    oh i just noticed the "daily" part of the question...

you should strength train every other day.

what i do is devote 3 days to strength training and 2-3 days for cardio
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

the purpose of progressive overload strength training while you lose weight, especially when you have a significant amount to lose, is that you make sure that your body preserves as much of your lean body mass as possible which means that most of what you will be burning off is fat and not muscle.

Everything I've read indicates progressive overload strength training is the best method to increase lean body mass. Maintaining lean body mass is not mentioned as a benefit. In fact, several sources indicate that the problem with not using a progressive program is that all you will do is maintain your lean body mass.

I don't see anything that indicates NROLFW or a similar progressive program is the best choice for someone trying to lose one-third of their body mass. I would look at some of the ideas here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Your workout looks good.

I see you only eat one meal a day. This might be good for weight loss, but I would have some high protein snacks during the day. Greek yogurt is one of the best protein to calorie ratio foods you will find. I also noticed the protein numbers on your salad were listed as 0. Getting the true values will help you meet your goals. You want to be near your 60 gr protein goal everyday, but especially on your lift days.

Good luck,

Larro
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Everything I've read indicates progressive overload strength training is the best method to increase lean body mass. Maintaining lean body mass is not mentioned as a benefit. In fact, several sources indicate that the problem with not using a progressive program is that all you will do is maintain your lean body mass.

I don't see anything that indicates NROLFW or a similar progressive program is the best choice for someone trying to lose one-third of their body mass. I would look at some of the ideas here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html

it's easy to increase when you're eating at maintenance and above but when you're eating at a deficit and a prolonged deficit at that . the OP is looking to lose 80 pounds

the weight training isnt to to lose body mass, that's what the deficit is for..

doing strength training allows you to keep as much lean body mass as possible while the deficit works its magic. i like lyle and everything BUT from what i've seen on the boards, the people who have lost 50,100, 150 pounds etc most wish they would have started strength training from the very beginning of their weight loss if they hadnt done so

this one is also good read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

congrats on your weight loss too!
  • RodneyAshley
    Options
    While those exercises and workouts sound good things, you also need to consider other factors such as healthy diet in order to lose weight. Of course, you'll need to eat less and exercise more. It is always recommended to reduce calorie intake and increase your levels of activity such as engaging into sports, aerobics classes, walking, swimming, running and more.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

doing strength training allows you to keep as much lean body mass as possible while the deficit works its magic. i like lyle and everything BUT from what i've seen on the boards, the people who have lost 50,100, 150 pounds etc most wish they would have started strength training from the very beginning of their weight loss if they hadnt done so

this one is also good read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

Agreed on starting it early. I started it day one (although not in the most efficient way possible) and it certainly helped.

Also, thanks for sharing that link. Great stuff there.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options

it's easy to increase when you're eating at maintenance and above but when you're eating at a deficit and a prolonged deficit at that . the OP is looking to lose 80 pounds

the weight training isnt to to lose body mass, that's what the deficit is for..

congrats on your weight loss too!

I lost my weight because I methodically and progressively changed the majority of the foods I ate and reigned in the amount of calories I consumed. I workout to enhance that for sure,obviously, but moreover to become stronger, healthier, increase endurance, speed and agility. Cliché but true. However, the combo of heavy weights and HIITs helped bring it all home. If I could do it, the OP can for sure if she utilizes all this good advise.