did I really gain weight?

Options
Last weekend, I had around 1600-1800 calories on both days and exercised on Saturday only (just an hour of brisk walking). Then, I avoided weighing myself on Monday because I knew I would have gained some water weight from all that food. But then I weighed myself yesterday, and I'm still 2 pounds heavier than I was on Saturday morning!

I know two pounds isn't much, but if it's not going away, it's probably real weight, right? Is it even possible to gain two pounds in two days eating a not-so-high amount of calories?

I've been eating a lot less and exercising every day since Monday but the weight's still the same. I don't get it. Does that mean I can never eat that amount ever again without gaining? That really sucks.

Replies

• Ketsiat
    Ketsiat Posts: 5
    Options
    It's hard to say. How many calories are you consuming every day? If it's below 1000, your body could be hanging on to what it can get. It could also be water retention. You pic suggests you're female so have you considered your monthly? That would add weight for a little while. Also, since there's no indication of your current weight, I can't tell what 1600 to 1800 calories can do. And, if you've been on an extreme low carb diet and added carbs in those two days, then yes, you'll see the scale go up very quickly. I say, don't panic. Get back on track and see what happens next week.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you didnt gain fat from eating that much
    I weigh anywhere between 174 in the morning and 181 throughout the day. Some mornings I weight a pound or two more than the previous day, then it eventually goes down. This is why tracking weight daily is only reliable to chart long term trends.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I just did, and frequently, go through the same thing. After I eat a bit more, especially if it is really carby, I gain 2-3 pounds. It's water weight. It generally takes 2-4 days for me to drop it back down but at the end of the week/month it all evens out to my goal of ~1.5-2.0 lbs a week. I imagine it's the same for you.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Stories like this always make me suspicious.
    Gaining 2 lbs in 2 days is too soon. It should take at least a weeks.
    Are you underweight and looking for us to encourage you to near starvation?
    What is your cw and gw. Are you overweight or is your body fighting back?
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I fluctuate ~8lbs depending on time of day, macros, water, and workout...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Why? People on here talk all the time about weight fluctuations of a few pounds. :huh:
  • gary241069
    Options
    I just did, and frequently, go through the same thing. After I eat a bit more, especially if it is really carby, I gain 2-3 pounds. It's water weight. It generally takes 2-4 days for me to drop it back down but at the end of the week/month it all evens out to my goal of ~1.5-2.0 lbs a week. I imagine it's the same for you.

No need to reply. this actually answers my question.
    My apologies if I insulted you?
    I would still like to know your cw and gw though
  • fzamora1777
    fzamora1777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree my weigh fluctuates a few pounds from day to day. That's why I only pay attention to my regular weekly weigh in.
  • gary241069
    Options
    I agree my weigh fluctuates a few pounds from day to day. That's why I only pay attention to my regular weekly weigh in.

MFP recommends once every 5 weeks. That's what I do.
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I understand! I'm not underweight, my BMI is around 19 and I'm not trying to lose weight either. I'm just looking to maintain my weight but I'm finding it really hard because every time I eat a "maintenance" amount, I end up gaining. Is it possible for water weight to last more than a few days?
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. How many calories are you consuming every day? If it's below 1000, your body could be hanging on to what it can get. It could also be water retention. You pic suggests you're female so have you considered your monthly? That would add weight for a little while. Also, since there's no indication of your current weight, I can't tell what 1600 to 1800 calories can do. And, if you've been on an extreme low carb diet and added carbs in those two days, then yes, you'll see the scale go up very quickly. I say, don't panic. Get back on track and see what happens next week.

I eat around 1200-1400 calories a day and a bit more on weekends. I'm sure it's not due to my periods though. Plus, I'm not someone who avoids carbs. In fact (and though a lot of people might think this 'unhealthy'), all my meals have carbs in them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Last weekend, I had around 1600-1800 calories on both days and exercised on Saturday only (just an hour of brisk walking). Then, I avoided weighing myself on Monday because I knew I would have gained some water weight from all that food. But then I weighed myself yesterday, and I'm still 2 pounds heavier than I was on Saturday morning!

I know two pounds isn't much, but if it's not going away, it's probably real weight, right? Is it even possible to gain two pounds in two days eating a not-so-high amount of calories?

I've been eating a lot less and exercising every day since Monday but the weight's still the same. I don't get it. Does that mean I can never eat that amount ever again without gaining? That really sucks.
    You have to eat 7,000 calories in two days over your TDEE to gain the weight, and I doubt your TDEE is 1600, or even 1800. It doesn't sound like you did that. Just be patient. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I understand! I'm not underweight, my BMI is around 19 and I'm not trying to lose weight either. I'm just looking to maintain my weight but I'm finding it really hard because every time I eat a "maintenance" amount, I end up gaining. Is it possible for water weight to last more than a few days?
    If you are trying to maintain, it's good to keep in mind that maintenance is a range and not a set number. Most people have a maintenance range of 3-5 pounds, while taking into account that weight often fluctuates. It's pretty darned normal.