What was your first?

Options
What was the first thing you changed in your lifestyle change? What has been the hardest to maintain? Are you having success?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    This will sound awful, but the first thing I gave up was soda. Not all soda, just a two liter a day habit.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    The first thing I changed was logging what I eat accurately. Lately the hardest thing for me has been logging accurately.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    The first thing I gave up was giving up. I've lost weight before. 40 lbs. I treated my weight loss like a punishment. I denied myself things I enjoyed, picked an exercise I loathed because I thought it was the only way. This time, I changed my attitude and I changed my life for the better. 53 lbs down, in love with weightlifting and never giving up on myself again.
    The logging accurately thing is a good one too ;)
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My first "sacrifice" was portions. Like, I forced myself to start weighing and measuring portions. I didn't change the foods much at first, just how much I was allowing myself to eat. Then, if I was still hungry, I subbed a "better" option rather than a second portion of the yummy fattening things (read: pizza! I adore pizza... nom nom nom)

Since then I have shifted my eating almost completely. My diet is filled with high fiber, lean protein, & lots of veggies n fruit. I still love pizza, though, so if I splurge its no big deal.

The hardest thing to maintain has been my exercise routine. I aim for 2.5 hrs of exercise a week - - 3 workouts is ideal but sometimes I have to do it over 5-6 days in smaller chunks. My schedule is chaotic at best, so if I squeeze in a 15 min walk I give myself a fat pat on the back. If I can binge and do an hour or an hour-15 at the gym I am psyched. Some weeks I get only 1 workout in. I try not to beat myself up about it, but I need to beat myself a little to keep the habit alive.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    First: Portion control (a food scale works wonders to actually "see" what 1 serving should be). Wow, that's like, not enough food. I'm STARVING---Wahhhh!

Second: Determined I *like* volumes of food. In order to stay satiated (and 1 slice of pizza and one sliver of garlic bread wasn't doin' it), learned to love fresh produce (WOW! I can eat a spinach salad as big as my head? Yes, please! I'll take two, lol). Well, I still eat pizza and burgers and tacos, just not every single meal every day of the week.

Third: Found the MFP community and my path to success!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Adding exercise... I started jogging outside. That was definitely my first change. It's also the hardest to maintain. I'm naturally a lazy/quite inconsistent girl. Unless I really like a certain activity, I won't do it for long. But even if I like something, I get bored of it eventually. Even if it's a food I like, I won't care for it either if I eat it too much. In fact, sometimes I do get tired of food itself! Such a fickle nature... So in terms of success?? I'm mainly losing because of food deficit, not exercise. Lol.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The first thing that I did was drink more water.

The second thing was to start logging everything ruthlessly. That one hurt because I wasn't doing as well with my calories as I thought.

Next, I got more intentional with my exercise and overall activity level.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In my case it was cutting portion sizes and starting exercise. Those two changes made the biggest impact on my weight loss and my health.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    First thing I changed is irrelevant because I had it all wrong.

After a while it really isn't hard to maintain because everything becomes a habit.

I have success through being accurate, being reasonable (half a pound a week), doing things I love (lifting) and not giving up something completely (I'd fail if I cut out the yummy stuff).
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I started eating primal and became a cardio bunny. After that didn't pan out, I learned moderation, macro-tracking, and a more balanced cardio/strength training routine. That's when I managed to not only lose weight, but keep in off in a fairly painless way.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think I stopped eating white rice, which didn't really matter because I didn't eat it anyway. But, I gave that **** up.
  • AlysaN
    AlysaN Posts: 11
    Options
    I gave up pop or soda or whatever you want to call it. It was hard for me because I come from a family of pop drinkers. I had always had it. It was hard at first but now I don't even like it. The closest thing I get to a pop now is occasionally/rarely a cherry limeade.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    First thing I changed- portion control.

Hardest to maintain- lower carb intake.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    overeating.
  • kstar0327
    kstar0327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I gave up all form of junk food........................it hasn't been easy but almost a month and no junk food
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I turned vegan, for ethical reasons. The only difficult part is the iron deficiency anemia/B-12 deficiency anemia that is because I live in rock-bottom poverty and thus can neither afford vegan supplements nor nutritious vegan foods-- having to subsist on potato chips or, having to go hungry without food to eat.