Is anyone eating organic or local foods, or GF?

Options
I am new and would like to share food ideas with anyone who eats a lot of fresh whole foods. I am currently eating a pretty strict diet that I planned to do for one week and am now going on week three. I feel really good on it and am loosing weight like crazy, have so much energy and motivation. I am not eating anything with corn in it, or soy, sugar (except fruit), caffiene, alcohol, wheat or gluten, little to no dairy and very little meat and then it is chicken and fish only.

I have come up with some really good recipes and found a great cookbook called Lucid Food.

Please let me know if anyone is out there - and if so, please feel free to friend me. :-)

Good luck to you all!!

Replies

• carolineamico
    Options
    I think we are a rare breed. PLEASE accept my friendship! I make all my own crackers & breads, yogurts, & cheese, out of raw milk, and (off topic), I hand sew our babies' cloth diapers.
    I LOVE that you mentioned this!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I buy as much local food as I can and buy organic if we are eating the skin. I eat meat and cheese on occasion, but never drink milk. I love eating fresh home made soups and salads and would love to recipe swap... I am the self proclaimed queen of tofu! LOL:flowerforyou:
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Try friending people who follow the Paleo diet (there's a thread started a few days ago). We tend to eat organic, lots of lean meats and veggies, and no grains, sugars, or processed foods. I believe most Paleos don't eat too much corn or potatoes, drink alcohol other than red wine, or have very much dairy (of course, there are exceptions). Maybe you can find some kindred spirits? And feel free to friend me, I'm cooking a lot of veggies and love to share recipes!
  • madina62
    madina62 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in this topic as well. I have been trying to learn and research a lot about eating whole foods and eliminating processed foods from our diet. But...it is so difficult! Maybe I just don't know a lot of where or how to shop but it is really overwhelming in the grocery store when everything you pick up has something unnatural added to it! I have been trying to start by eliminating processed side dishes at dinner and no more processed food, like tv dinners, for lunch, but coming up with alternatives is very difficult. If anyone has ideas, I would really appreciate it! I'm not sure if you have heard of or are part of community supported agriculture but it sounds like a great way to eat locally and naturally!
    Jen
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Me! I eat local and organic. Would love to see your recipes!
  • onvacation
    onvacation Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I eat organic as much as I can. I am also vegetarian leaning towards vegan and this month I have been caffeine free, gluten free, dairy and soy free.

I would love some recipes!

Kim
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a local food person! Woop!

For the poster who asked about how to do it, check out www.localharvest.org if you are in the US or southern Canada. Local foods are so much better (taste and health wise...and usually more eco-friendly, if you are into that stuff) and definitely can be cheaper than the grocery store. Check out a CSA, there are ones that are just produce, produce & meat/dairy.

So funny that I stumbled on this thread today. The bf and I were just deciding which CSA we wanted to do this year!

Oh and I do the gf thing, too. It's sad how many awesome grains are missing in the standard American diet. I <3 quinoa!
  • carolineamico
    Options
    I notice a lot of folks on this thread are dairy-free. We, in contrast, are raw milk guzzlers. Raw milk is SOOOOO different from processed milk, and contains antibodies, much like breast milk. And being free range & organic, it does less damage to the earth. It actually contributes a lot.

What WE avoid is soy. It is a phyto-estrogen, and very bad for most people. Unless processed in a certain way, which isn't usually done in this country (USA).

It is interesting how we all choose differently, and yet we are all making informed choices, rather than just being mindless. I feel I have so much more in common with a vegan than a regular "guy on the street", even though I eat meat (free range & organic), and drink milk (free range, organic, and raw). Because we all cared enough to research it, and make changes in our lives. Most people don't bother to do that. So even people who eat tofu & avoid meat are kindred to us.

P.S. We are also freebirthers. (A kind of homebirther.) We make our own cloth diapers, and yogurt, cheese, etc. If anyone can relate to this kind of life, feel free to befriend me! Even if you make DIFFERENT KINDS of informed choices.

Hope that made sense.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Carolineamico, I've heard that raw milk tastes different than the pasteurized stuff. (Which makes sense since the heat messes up proteins) Anyway, can you describe how it tastes? How long does it last? I've been interested in trying it, but am a little scared. Right now, we get our dairy from local, natural farmers. So no hormones or antibiotics and the cows are family - they even have profiles on the farm's website! haha

I agree with you about the soy. We have to have some caution with it since it is an estrogen analog. I don't mind a little bit of it, like occasional edamame at a sushi place or a little tofu in miso soup. But I can't let myself eat too much of it with the data being conflicting.

Real food rocks. Shame more people don't realize it and think that Yoplait light and 100calorie packs are what equals health.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Real food rocks. Shame more people don't realize it and think that Yoplait light and 100calorie packs are what equals health.

Agreed! Though, like most dieters, I went through that phase as well. It's all about informing yourself!

And I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on raw milk as well. I <3 dairy, but currently just buy it at the supermarket because I have yet to research a dairy farmer nearby. :embarassed: I'm looking at doing a CSA this year though for the first time!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Oh the CSA thing is so great! This year I think the bf and I are going to do one with meat/eggs so we don't have to step foot in the grocery store except for a few random things - like some of my gf stuff. I bet you'll really enjoy it. The farmers I know around here are so friendly and you get to meet new people at the weekly pick ups.

The whole local food scene is so interesting. Last year at this time I didn't know nearly as much as I do now. I learned about the various cattle farms and dairies by talking to people. Now I can tell you where to get great food made with in 50miles of me. It's really it's own culture!
  • michellerene618
    Options
    Hi there!
    We just started eating clean/organic about 10 days ago, we feel fantastic too! I'd love to change ideas with you! Trader Joe's makes this affordable 4 us! We are doing an organic garden this year since we moved to NC and have the space now; really excited about that! How are you doing? Add me as a friend if you want 2 exchange ideas and encouragement! ;0) localharvest.com is a great place to find local good! We're pleasantly surprised how many farmers are in this area! I also use 100% Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils and Household Products including toothpaste! I was sick for so lone, now I feel so much better, now! I decided to make this a business! I love it, just so I can get my products @ wholesale and my husbands so glad we did!! Anyway, this is a LIFESTYLE we should all adapt 2!
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    Gi'day! I'm a vegetarian, local organic produce (markets and home garden). I am not strictly GF but do eat a high percentage of GF as we prefer to eat raw foods and GF grains tend to be the easiest as well as the yummiest! ( I still love my oats though.) I also recently left work which was working in a GF bakery helping to develop recipes. Happy to help out with advice in this area for anyone interested (Great job, but hours started to take their toll and so do the delicious pastries which is why I am here :D ). Don't eat eggs or dairy (kids can't eat them) but we do eat honey, therefore may not be considered vegan. Love to prepare dishes of all kinds!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would really like to learn more about this. I have been trying to move to more local and/or organic items, grass-fed beef, raw cheese, etc. Tried raw milk but it didn't go over well with the family. I'm hoping to try it again eventually, maybe for making yogurt if nothing else.

Overall my diet is not strict at this point, but small changes, right? It's hard when you have (picky) little kids!