Insanity weight loss (male)

Options
I'm on week 6 of insanity and I'm enjoying it so far. It's a great workout and I've definitely noticed an overall difference but I have a few questions. I see a lot of these posts but none of them really explain my situation. I'm a 23 year old guy and currently I'm 5'8" and at about 215lbs. I'm down about 35 pounds in the last 3 years. I'm also very muscular for my size, if that helps.
The insanity diet plan has me at about 2500 calories a day to lose weight and I've been sticking around that count ever since starting the program. I eat good food with the exception of my one energy drink a day. I know they're not good but I'm an addict and I lost my previous 35lbs while drinking them so I know it's not holding me back that much. My question is, why have I only lost 2 pounds after 6 weeks of insanity? I know I gained muscle and muscle weighs more than fat but I've also heard it's pretty much impossible to gain muscle as fast as you burn fat. I don't know if I'm eating too much, or not enough for the program but it's annoying to not see any numerical difference.
By the way, I was staying at about 1700-1800 calories a day before when I would do an hour a day on a stationery bike and lost about 2-4 pounds a week. I just have a fear of under feeding myself and seeing the scale go down because I'm losing muscle.

Thanks

Replies

• tern73
    tern73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My question is, why have I only lost 2 pounds after 6 weeks of insanity?
    Because you're eating at a slight deficit.

Eat to your goals. If you want to lose weight faster, eat less. Continue working out no matter what you eat. There is a lot of middle ground between 2500 and 1800.

Pick a reasonable target, track your intake, give it some time, and see how it goes.
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Also, and I speak from experience, having lost 5Kgs before starting Insanity then actually gained while doing it despite eating at a huge deficit.

While doing Insanity your muscles will be recovering pretty much 6 days a week, this means they will retain water and you'll weigh more. Finish your insanity then weigh yourself a week later once your muscles have fully recovered and I bet you drop a ton of weight!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    2500 cals sounds a lot to me. Its very high. You're negating most of the calorie burn you're getting (similar to how MFP works) which is not how Insanity is designed.

I ate around 1800-2000cals during Insanity and lost 1 1/2 stone (male 5'5", was 13.7 stone at start, 12st after).

ETA I didn't follow the nutrition guide, partly for this reason. I just ate clean 6 days per week up to the above calorie limit, and the 7th day I drank beer and ate pizza and still had success.