I'm scared.

Options
Hello, I'm new here. I want to lose 55 pounds and I'm scared I'm gonna chicken out. I've been trying to eat healthier and exercise more, but its soooo damn hard to reduce my cravings. Are there any techniques that you guys use to help stop cravings efficiently? Thanks!

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” Jim Rohn.
  • mistsoflavender
    Options
    Thanks for the quote, I'll put that in my quote list (:
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    are you scared that you wont succeed if you try? or are you scared that you dont really WANT to succeed and arent really ready?

because i found that any time i was really ready, and had any success, i wasnt scared at all and just started doing it. but when i wasnt really serious or ready to give up bad habits i would say "i want to do this but i dont know if i can" and what it really meant was "i want to do this but actually i dont want to but i want to want to"

so if you are anything like me... maybe be honest about where you stand and how you can get to the want to if it is the latter.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i deal with cravings by giving into them. when it fits in my calorie budget. and i portion it out before i start. like... i love some things i never want to give up and i buy them, portion them and write the calories on them. and i limit myself to what fits in my budget.

you dont have to say i cant have this, you just have to moderate how much you get.
  • mistsoflavender
    Options
    Thanks for the advice (: I'm just scared I'm not going to lose the weight and be disappointed. One of my friends is very athletic and eats rights, but she never gets results. Also, my self control is not at the level yet. I'm scared if i want chocolate, I'll eat a mountain of it. I feel ready to make a change in my life, but I dont want to feel like im counting down days.
  • SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    i deal with cravings by giving into them. when it fits in my calorie budget. and i portion it out before i start. like... i love some things i never want to give up and i buy them, portion them and write the calories on them. and i limit myself to what fits in my budget.

you dont have to say i cant have this, you just have to moderate how much you get.

^this

Best thing to do with cravings - best thing to do with a whole diet change really- is to eat what you want to eat, but make sure you're eating reasonable portions that fit into your calorie goal (although remember the calorie goal is just a goal - not a rule) - if you want chocolate, have a mini-bar, or half a bar - if you can, see if there's a healthy alternative you might like (I LOVE dark chocolate now) and try and focus on eating more fruits, veg and wholegrains if you can, but the best way to approach losing weight for me at least, has been to think - am I going to be happy living the rest of my life eating in this way, will I be happy not including this food in my diet? I need to lose about the same amount as you, and I have stopped and started so many times that it's ridiculous, before finally realising that labelling all food as either good or bad and cutting out most of the foods I love, only led me to a restrict and binge cycle that meant I lost tons of weight, and then piled it all back on.

At the moment I'm eating a relatively low amount of cals, but eating proper meals and foods that I really enjoy and if I want the icecream, I'm going to have the ice-cream (just maybe a smaller serving)! Pre-portioned foods have been my saviour - saves weighing every single thing and this has really been working well for me!

Good luck!
  • mistsoflavender
    Options
    Sorry, I'm on mobile. My punctuation and spelling is a little off.
  • mistsoflavender
    Options
    Thanks (: I have a question- Is it healthy to give in to cravings everyday (intelligently) or should i choose specific days?
  • SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    The only way I stopped myself bingeing on mountains of chocolate (I've been known to eat multiple 800g boxes in a day, alongside a few boxes of jaffa cakes), was to let myself have a little everyday - make it interesting - get a box of minibars in different flavours and have one when you need a chocolate hit - I found myself not even wanting it somedays. At first I even got a housemate to hide them for me, so when I wanted one I had to ask her for them - a bit extreme, but it worked- I cut waaaaaaaay down, although that kind of went against my attempts to make chocolate seem less of a forbidden fruit so I am now back in control of my chocolate!

Another thing you could do is check out ChocolateCoveredKatie, a healthy desserts blog - she has these amazing date based, healthy cocoa- chocolatey bars and balls, or there are some commercial things (i don't know where you are but in the UK there is the Naked range of bars- they have a yummy cocoa one - to get a REALLY healthy chocolate hit
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I have cravings for something that is unhealthy I limit myself to a small amount of it every 4 days or more depending on the craving. I also make sure that if I am eating something sweet that I don't drink or eat anything else sweet for the rest of the day unless I am under my sugar and carbs goal for the day. I eat 1200 cals a day plus whatever amount of cals I burn exercising that day. It's okay to mess up once or twice a month but as long as you keep trying and don't give up because of one time you will make it!
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Having someone supportive of what you're doing is also a good thing so when you do mess up they can tell you that you shouldn't do that. At least it works for me because then I feel guilty.
  • SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    I'd also recommend having it with something- (chocolate covered strawberries!!!!!!) - that way you'll fill up faster and might be less tempted to have more - that's another reason restricting treats doesn't usually work- if you get hungry and haven't had cake or chocolate for a bit, it's the first thing you're likely to reach for!
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I find that when I have a craving. it's best to satisfy it intelligently. If I really need chocolate, I'll eat a square of dark chocolate (the expensive kind that satisfies me with just a little bit, mmmmmm). If I desperately need something salty, I always have pickles around.

I have a question for you: Do you drink diet soda or drinks with artificial sweeteners? Artificial sweeteners can be a BIG trigger for food cravings. I stopped consuming artificial sweeteners almost three weeks ago and I've noticed a significant difference in the frequency and intensity of my food cravings. Plus, fruits and vegetables all taste sweeter to me now.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do not be scared that you will not be able to reach your ideal weight.It is easy to do anything in the world if you once makeup your mind. Self confidence is the best way.Think positive and start with your healthy diet and exercise.Plan your diet and exercise routine and then you will see the miracles happening.The only change that is needed is in your attitude.
  • mistsoflavender
    Options
    Ill definitely try the chocolate strawberries! Haha once i tried that ( the hiding thing ) and I ended up begging and persuading so much theyd give in or id eventually find it (: And no, ive quit sugary drinks except some organic lemonade on my cheat days or a capri sun. Never been a fan of artificial sweeteners, bleh. Smart move on the pickles, gonna buy some for when my salt tooth comes in! Thanks for the advice guys, I truly appreciate it!!!
  • ssun387
    ssun387 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    even i have carvings :( vry tough to hndle i just say to myslf, if u dnt loose weight now, u cnt lose anytym.
    so sometyms the crvng vanishes!!
  • CandyMouse
    CandyMouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cravings. It gets easier with time. When you get a craving, remember is only lasts a minute or so . get up..move to something else. Do this every time, every day..over and over and over again.:smile:
  • livi29
    livi29 Posts: 2
    Options
    You're going to have bad days - thats the truth of it.
    HOWEVER, you are going to have good days, and slowly slowly you will have more of them.

It's true that the less sugar you eat, the less you crave.
    I'm usless and continually beat myself up for snacking as soon as I have eaten it.

Last week I painted a quote on my wall. Now, if I can't stop eating, I add to the painting. It forces my brain to concentrate on something else.

Also - drink water. The classics are so true - it can make you feel fuller.

Good luck :)
  • pigiaki
    pigiaki Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can drink water when you feel hungry an wait 15 minuits.If you are still hungry go eat something.Usually cravings and urges last for about 3 minuits so play a game in your mobile,listen to your favorite song,or dance and basicly istruct yourself from food.I'm new here too but think i will achieve it ;)
  • CandyMouse
    CandyMouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's always a hard decision to make. I like to have popcorn and diet jello and cut cucumbers..to keep the cravings down. I have found that the more I resisted chocolate..the more I did not want it. Well.. I NEVER.. 'don't want it'..but the cravings have pretty much stopped. I do NOT keep it in my house. I can not be trusted! lol :smile: