Running shoes for wide feet, neutral gait.

Options
iceqieen
iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
Hi,

I need to renew my running shoes soon, and would welcome recommendations on what to look for. Esp. from those who have wide feet, and a neutral gait. I wear a size W7,5 US / 38 EU and honestly I would want them to be a bit wider.

What I currently have is Mizuno Wave rider 16 I think, but I have seen some reviews of the 17 mentioning it is narrower than the 16?

Before you tell me to go to the running store.. I did and I will go to more, but it is always the same.. I tell them my size and that I need a wide shoe and they pick out 4-5 pairs that *might* work.. and most dont. Last time I found 1 pair that fit, but they were completely flat and I would prefer some cushioning for the heel (though I mostly run by stepping on the midfoot).

Since I am planning to buy new shoes when I go to London in August I thought if I could have some recommendations I could check which stores have those and just go to those, saving me (and my hubby) some frustration :P

Replies

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp for shoes that may be best suited for you.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My husband has super-wide feet (EEEE), and he found a pair that fit well, made by Brooks. You might want to try them.

(also, any sales person that tries a 'might fit', should be flogged. ask for a manager).
  • iceqieen
    Options
    Check out http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp for shoes that may be best suited for you.

Thank you, it gives similar results to http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor. Neither addresses the wide feet part, sadly. So hoping to get some answers from female runners with wide feet :)
  • iceqieen
    Options
    My husband has super-wide feet (EEEE), and he found a pair that fit well, made by Brooks. You might want to try them.

(also, any sales person that tries a 'might fit', should be flogged. ask for a manager).

Will see if I find any that fit from Brooks :)

I disagree on your statement about the sales person. If it was "might fit" in a blind way, sure I would ask for a better service, but when you have really wide feet (and other portions that are not the "normal" :P) you get used to and accept the "might" as a better alternative to "this will fit" because the later will usually be wrong and makes me even more frustrated than a "might" and then it doesnt. This might be a cultural/language difference though.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wear your same size, and also have wide feet, a neutral gait, and am a fore-to-mid-foot striker when I run. I have found every pair of Asics I have owned to be a bit more generously cut than the average running shoe in the forefoot area, so you might look at that brand. Currently I wear Brooks Pureflows, which also fit very well, and are well cushioned in the areas that matter to me. The biggest issue, I have found, is finding a shoe that has appropriate cushioning in the forefoot area...too many I have tried on have overly built-up heels with extra "cush" there that honestly just gets in the way if you don't heel-strike.

I think you just need to try on a bunch of shoes, especially if you can find a running shoe store that lets you take them on a test run around in the store or something. I've never found online guides to be all that useful to me, personally, but perhaps checking one out can help you narrow down the field some.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    HI, I just spoke with our local triathelete store here in UK (hahhahahaha - like I'VE BEEN THERE RECENTLY!) and the chap said that New Balance come in a regular and a wider fitting and that asiics mazuno comes in a wider one too. Located in Colchester 53/12 is the store-they can order if they don't have it and do a free gait assessment too (many years since I used them - hope to go back next year!) :drinker:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I like my Rykas.... the heel is a bit boxier than other shoes I've tried (I've got rectangular feet with high arches...)
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    New Balance - they come in a variety of widths and have plenty of neutral shoes.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Holabirdsports.com has a nice feature on their website that lets you compare shoes. If you had a pair you liked, they can match you up with similarly sized shoes.
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a wide foot and neutral gait and just got fitted for a pair of new balance. I can't remember the style right this minute, but I'll check and post back (posting now so that I'll see it in "my topics" later). Brooks had a pair that was a close second, the NB just felt a little bit better.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't have wide feet, but I do know that the Asics I have do come in a wide version and I've heard that Asics are usually more generously cut in general. Go to a running store that will let you return them for up to 30 days or so after you try them out. That's what I've always done. Then if I decide I really can't stand the shoe, I know I have an option. So far, I haven't had to use that, but in 30 days, I log enough miles to know whether or not I can stand the shoes for the duration.
  • katyoverby
    katyoverby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wear an 8 wide, have tried other brands and always return back to Asic. Right now I have Asic, Nimbus 15 and they are very comfortable. I order from Zappos since I know what I like. If for some reason they don't fit there is also free return shipping.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Wide feet, here, too. Currently I'm wearing Nike Flex. Usually they aren't wide enough for me, but the Flex have a nice wide toe box. Good luck
  • nickoldav
    nickoldav Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I feel your pain. I have very wide feet, too. My feet measure a 7 but I always have to go up a size and a half to find shoes that fit my wide feet. I've recently started running so I needed good running shoes. I bought a pair of women's Asics GT 2002 2. I still had to buy an 8.5, but I've had several runs in them and have had no foot and joint pain. Not sure about my gait, but I run on my toes, hit midstrike and roll to the inside is what I was told. The brand may have a style for you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet...high arches. I have had good luck with New Balance. Also try SAS...they are not always "pretty" but they have plenty of Ws and double Ws.

My ankles also have a tendency to roll so the pair of New Balance that I bought have what they call a "roll bar" in them. They have stablized my ankles but it took about a week to get used to them.

For the cushion...try adding an insole...that has helped me in the past due to the bunions that I have.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    New Balance - they come in a variety of widths and have plenty of neutral shoes.
    I've always worn New Balance for my wide Greek peasant feet as my dh calls them.
    Very comfortable, lots of styles and widths!
    Since feet swell when working out, I buy them 1/2 size larger and be very careful about not tying them too tightly!
  • iceqieen
    Options
    Thank you all for your excellent suggestions! I feel better knowing a bit what to look for :) It helps allot to have the specific types, not just general label, as well.
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a wide foot and neutral gait and just got fitted for a pair of new balance. I can't remember the style right this minute, but I'll check and post back (posting now so that I'll see it in "my topics" later). Brooks had a pair that was a close second, the NB just felt a little bit better.

The ones I ended up getting were the W880. Btw, in case it matters, I also have flat feet.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Just to olet you know Brookes do 2 fittings and B and D. I have wide feet and seem to be ok on both.