Coffee - well actually cappuccino

Options
I went to the gas station this morning, and I got my regular - 24 OZ White Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino.

I was going to do good today - today was going to be the day I stuck to my diet. I picked up a protein bar, because I have a bad habit of not eating breakfast.

I came to work, and I logged my breakfast -

I was so proud of myself for passing up the Krispy Kreme donuts.

That is until I logged my cappuccino - 450 calories! Are you serious? 63 SUGARS - SIXTY THREE -

I am over my sugar for the day and it's only 8 AM.

So - does anyone have a recipe for coffee that tastes like heaven ( meaning doesn't taste like coffee ) but with WAY lewss calories and sugars?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugars but the one thing I will not give up is my morning coffee/mocha. I put a packet of hot cocoa powder (Nestle makes a fat free one which is delicious and also low cal/fat), then 1 tbsp of fat free half n half, 1 tbsp of flavored creamer (Coffeemate or International Delight) and then fill the cup with coffee. DELICIOUS and about 130 calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yep those cappuccinos are pretty calorie dense. The only thing I can think of would be to prepare regular black coffee and add in those flavored type creamers. ( for example, I saw a French vanilla one for about 50 calories per spoon) but it's still going to probably taste like coffee, but will be sweet from the flavored creamers. I drink my coffee black, but do enjoy creamers sometimes
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Do you have time to make your own cappuccino in the morning? You can buy bottles of the syrup and control how much sugar goes in. If you experiment you can find sugar-free ones that don't taste like sweetener (I like Monin). Or buy ones with regular sugar and put 1-2 tsp in.

Edit: It's also not bad in coffee too.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    A mix of 50/50 coffee and hot chocolate is good too.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You can pick up a halfway decent home espresso machine (with a milk frother) for less than $30 these days at Target.

I make two lattes every morning with skim milk for a grand total of about 180 calories. (12 oz of coffee and 16 of skim milk.)

If you want to flavor your cappucino/latte/coffee, pick up some of the Torani sugar free syrups. Walmarts often have them now, many grocers also carry them, or you can order online through amazon for a wider variety of flavors.

Target also used to offer a line through their Archer Farms brand, but my Target no longer carries them. Not sure of those were discontinued or my Target just needed the shelf space for something else.
  • mufin71
    mufin71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can buy roasted flavored coffee beans at a gourmet coffee shop, or buy a keurig machine. Right now I'm drinking Butternut toffee (6oz = approx 2 calories) with baileys brand toffee almond creamer (1 Tbs.=40 calories).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Mix 1% milk with vanilla protein powered, whisk then add coffee. Low cal, low fat, high protein! I use about 1/4 of a scoop of powder and probably 1/3 tsp sugar, depending on the powder may not need any sugar.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Maxwell House makes sugar free versions of their International Cafe, (sweet instant coffee type stuff), in French vanilla and Suisse mocha.