The Dangers of Going Glute-Free!

Options
An interesting blog post from MDA regarding Gluten Free

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz38NX1MsFP

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way now so we can move on to the inevitable arguing about gluten.

Danger #1: You roll a Honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda.
    Danger #2: Anacondas will want nothing to do with you.
    Danger #3: Red beans and rice will miss you.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Thought I was in for some funny pics of bottoms, but was just a typo in the title :sad:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way now so we can move on to the inevitable arguing about gluten.

Danger #1: You roll a Honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda.
    Danger #2: Anacondas will want nothing to do with you.
    Danger #3: Red beans and rice will miss you.

mmmmm...red beans & riiiiiice

tumblr_lmhttysC1p1qcjr06o1_500-1.gif
  • hookilau
    Options
    :grumble: Thought I was in for some funny pics of bottoms, but was just a typo in the title :sad:

miley-cyrus-butt-gif.gif
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    OP, you have added quotes to 'Danger,' because the article debunks the myths about going gluten free!

that being said, unless you have celiac disease, theres no reason to go gluten free, unless you want to really control the amount of processed food you are consuming (which is useful for anyone.) gluten free cookies are no better than gluten filled cookies. in fact, the gluten free cookies, breads, ect tend to be MORE calorie dense than the gluten filled version.

My husband has celiac diease (confirmed by a colonoscopy, which is the only sure way to know if you actually have celiac). I don't and enjoy having a slice of toast, pizza, or cake...all gluten filled. Right now im "gluten free" in that im not eating gluten filled foods and sticking to eating fresh fruits, veggies, meat, and seafood. I feel better not because ive eliminated gluten, but because im eating actual food.

I think the article is saying to eat actual food and you will, most likely, adopt a gluten free diet.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Squats and hills will prevent this Glute free problem.
  • nicolajaworski
    nicolajaworski Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone with non-celiac gluten intolerance-

If you do not have an allergy, it is NOT a good idea to be 100% gluten free. It will work the same way as it does when someone who is vegan starts to eat meat again. Their body rejects it because it does not recognize the enzymes and proteins. The same thing will happen with gluten proteins if you stop eating them. The only benefit that someone will feel, is the benefit of a low-carb diet (presuming they stay away from prepackaged gluten free junk).
    If someone uses the idea of "gluten free" to buy all of the processed foods that are labeled as such, and ignore the fact that lean protein and vegetables are the way to go, they will gain weight. My cousin has celiac disease and when she found out, she didn't know how to eat properly. She gained 40lbs because the gluten free craze has dabbled the isles with junk food that people think is healthier.
    All fruits, vegetables, and proteins are gluten free unless they have some kind of additive or seasoning with gluten.

Happy eating :)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I need my glutes. Pretty sure I would have to lie down for the rest of my life if I went glute free.
  • hookilau
    Options
    The only benefit that someone will feel, is the benefit of a low-carb diet (presuming they stay away from prepackaged gluten free junk).

hells yeah...pre-packaged GF is far from low carb
    :laugh:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Gluten is not a macromolecule group like protein, fat, or carbohydrates. You do not need it. You can replace gluten and still eat carbs..ie rice, potatoes, corn products etc. It will not hurt you to stop eating gluten if you want to as you can get the nutrients else where...it is not like a person is giving up protein or other important nutrients. I am not gluten sensitive but have a wheat intolerance. Since the two things go hand in hand it is easier for me to say gluten free...as wheat contains gluten. I can find products, like pretzels that are just made with different grains.

You will not get skinnier by going gluten free. If you do not have an intolerance, it is likely an unnecessary effort but you will not suffer horrible consequences if you eat rice with your chicken instead of pasta.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

I thought this was going to be a leg day joke thread.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Glute free is no laughing matter. Just ask anyone who has that terrible disorder known as "noassatall"
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe glute-free is my problem. Maybe that's why I get stuck in my desk chair. :laugh:
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Isn't that one of the symptoms of LMAO Syndrome?

Also completely agree with what others have said - don't do it if you don't need to. It's a waste of money (and oftentimes, flavor) if you go out of your way to buy gluten-free cookies, breads, etc.; also, a lot of the "replacement" foods are loaded with sugar and simple starches as compared to their wheaty counterparts. If you don't feel markedly better (i.e. complete or nearly-complete absence of previous symptoms like GI distress, inflammation, etc., without any other changes in diet or medication) after a few weeks of strict gluten elimination (no cheating!), bring it back into your diet gradually and go about your business. And again, if you suddenly feel like crap after adding it back in, then it may still be an issue. I'm not a doctor; I just live with this every day.

I'm not one of those hard-line "blood test & biopsy or GTFO" folks, but I do think people do a disservice to the Celiac and gluten-intolerant communities when they just "dabble" in gluten-free, when it's convenient for them. I don't do cheat meals or cheat days, because I go through several stages of feeling like death warmed over for a couple of weeks afterwards, even if I get into something on accident (cross-contamination). I just don't eat if I can't get something I am reasonably sure will be safe. It sucks, but I also generally try to plan ahead for iffy situations by packing a meal bar, or eating before I go to a social event where food will be featured but the availability of safe food for me is uncertain.

ETA: Regarding the blog, if you just want to eat low-carb/paleo/primal and don't have medical issues with gluten consumption - by all means, go ahead. Just... please, don't lie and tell people you have a gluten allergy/intolerance or Celiac if you don't, just so the cook won't put your burger on a bun at a restaurant. Order it without the bun, or put it on the side if you can't request substitutions, and be done with it. That's the stuff that gets people who have a medical need lumped in with all those hipster jerks. :tongue: