'Tone Up' Trainers

Options
Hi all,

I'm about to start a new job and will now be walking to/from train stations for about an hour per day. I was just going to stick on my regular trainers for the walk, but just wondered if anyone had any opinions on the Shape Up / Fit Flop toning type trainers that are available?

I know they look kind of dorky but through if anyone had experienced any benefit, I figured I may as well try them, in addition to my regular workouts - every little helps right?

Thanks folks
xxx

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    They are NOT for everyone. In fact for lots of people, it affected their gait (walking style) and many ended up having knee issues. Consequently Shape ups and Sketchers were sued.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've no experience of them myself but I've read a couple of articles which say they make no difference and are a waste of money.

I'm sure though there are others on here with personal experience.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    They got their butts sued for all the promises they made. They still sell them but no longer make the claims they did and can mess with you, especially if you have potential knee/hip issues. I'd stick with your regular trainers!
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys - I hadn't heard about the companies being sued!!

Yep defo sounds like i'll be sticking to my good old regular trainers!

Thanks again!! :drinker:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys - I hadn't heard about the companies being sued!!

Yep defo sounds like i'll be sticking to my good old regular trainers!

Thanks again!! :drinker:
    I have no opinion on trainers but I wanted to say your profile pic is awesome. Wonderwoman was the best.
  • luce3003
    Options
    Lol thanks...better than a real life, extremely dodgy pic of me!! :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks...better than a real life, extremely dodgy pic of me!! :laugh:

Sorry, I have nothing to add except for your profile pic reminded me of this...
    niccagebatgirlwonderwoman.jpg
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I like minimalist shoes with a wide toe box. You can get a lot of awesome discounted ones from the Clymb website.

http://vnlink.co/SjqGofy

These are the ones I'm rocking right now. (Mens version though, I quickly found the womens one)

front-c54f2d-original.jpg
    front-c67238-original.jpg

If you want to tone up more on walking in general, flex your calves and butt on the back part of your stride. As a society of sitters, we've adapted to become very quad dominant. Watch how fast and effortlessly you walk when you use your *kitten* and calves.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leading Muscle. If you wear a "zero drop" shoe, your skeleton and muscle systems will be loaded the way they were mean to, which means a fitter foundation through daily activity.

http://www.katysays.com/weight-bearing-status/
  • luce3003
    Options
    @SonicDeathMon - lmao, that prob is what i would look like if I posted an actual pic of me hahahaha!!!! :laugh:

@LeadingMuscle - thanks I will defo try the *kitten*/calf flexing altho I imagine it'll take a little getting used to - might look like I've s**t my pants for first few days....!!!

xxx
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    @SonicDeathMon - lmao, that prob is what i would look like if I posted an actual pic of me hahahaha!!!! :laugh:

@LeadingMuscle - thanks I will defo try the *kitten*/calf flexing altho I imagine it'll take a little getting used to - might look like I've s**t my pants for first few days....!!!

xxx

Lol, yeah it takes a few weeks before muscle memory will kick in