I want to snack it up

Options
I am fairly new and need some snack ideas.
I have been eating:
walnuts
fruit like peaches and bananas
celery dipped into salsa or hummus
yogurt, but not greek cause it doesn't taste good to me.

And that's pretty much all I've come up with. Looking for calorie ranges between 100 and 200.
Going shopping tomorrow and have no idea what else I should go for. I've pretty much always snacked on empty garbage and don't want to go that route anymore.

Replies

• carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Any kind of berry. Most are in season right now to. There very low in calories and have a ton of vitamins and other good stuff! Mix them w some cottage cheese 2% is about 90 calls a half cup, or some plain the yogurt.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Cashews
    Pecans
    Kiwi
    Oranges
    Cantaloupe
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Frozen grapes
    Veggies with hummus or greek yogurt dip
    Bananas with peanut butter
    Apples with peanut butter
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Can of tuna with celery
    Cheese sticks
    Laughing Cow spreadable cheese with crackers
    Pretzels
    Hard boiled eggs
  • mustardyellowshirt
    mustardyellowshirt Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've made two snack discoveries today: cheese sticks are only 50 calories each; and you can eat about SEVENTEEN of those little turkey pepperonies for 77 calories. Very likely not the healthiest choices, but as a compulsive snacker they hit the spot. lol
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love these suggestions!!! Thanks :)
    Time to go shopping!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    While I'm a fan of fruit and veggies, sometimes crunchy & salty is what I'm craving...pistachios, popcorn, veggie sticks (or veggie chips),
  • zip_girl
    zip_girl Posts: 29
    Options
    If you like cheese, light string cheese or light babybel miniature cheese rounds have like 50 calories and have good protein in them. Also, prepacked beff jerky sticks. At my local walmart there are "Jack Links" packs where it's 2 little strips of beef jerky for 50 calories also.

Rice cakes are really low calorie and they have different flavors like cheese, caramel, chocolate etc and are usually around 35 calories per cake. Or miniature rice cakes, called "quakes" are a good alternative to chips. The serving size is like 18 pieces for 140 calories and 5 grams of fat. Also, something kind of similar to this is 100 calorie or "mini" bags of popcorn.

If you buy 45 calorie bread, I buy sarah lee multi grain, you can make a lot of different sandwiches for less than 200 calories. Like 90 calories for the bread, 50 calories for light cheese slice and 30 calories for 2 thin slices of ham, for example.
  • zip_girl
    zip_girl Posts: 29
    Options
    you can eat about SEVENTEEN of those little turkey pepperonies for 77 calories.

Good Suggestion, thanks!
  • mufin71
    mufin71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try unsweetened almond milk, a scoop of dark chocolate protien mix and ice in a blender, approx 130 calories and taste like a milk shake with out the extra calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Cucumber with tzatziki sauce!
    Honestly, using a food scale, even tostitos scoops aren't horrendous. You get 28 grams/14 chips. I like them dipped in the individual serving guacamole, usually only 14 grams of chips is ample for that.
    Bananas with peanut butter and strawberries. You have to use just barely enough peanut butter to stick the strawberries on.
    Pretzels
    Pistachios
    Cheese cubes with grapes

Now I'm hungry haha
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    my new snack crack lol (2 servings if you behave)

1/2 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
    2tbsp pb
    some cinnamon

I dip apple and strawberries, but any fruit and prob celery would be yum!

Other faves are cottage cheese and salsa with veggies

hummus and veg

berries/fruit obviously

cheese string/ham

boiled eggs

lettuce wraps (sammich without the bread)

right now am loving me some "waybetter snacks sweeet potato chips" so so good they have other flavors too.
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Air poppers are like $15 on amazon, and air popped popcorn has no added fat, which is awesome. You can use a bit of salt and pepper and a spray of olive oil (or fake butter spray, depending on your taste/plan) to season. If you want something spicy, red pepper; if you want something different, cajun seasoning; sweet, cinnamon and splenda...the opportunities are endless!
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am probably the only person on the planet that loves these....but Rice Cakes. I adore them. I get the plain/low sodium kind - each cake is 40 calories. Yesterday I bought Philadelphia soft cream cheese - spicy jalapeno. TASTY! I use 1 TB of that which is 30 calories.

For 70 calories I get crunchy, cheesy and spicy. It's a nice snack to have when I'm starting to get hungry and it's not meal time. The crunchy is a big thing for me, and sometimes nuts get can tiresome. The rice cake gives me that, and I can put all kinds of toppings on it for flavor without adding a ton of calories - hummus, PB&J.... I love them with tuna or chicken salad for lunches.
  • Blufae
    Blufae Posts: 21
    Options
    Bump for later
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • michirusan82
    michirusan82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and apples is my favorite, if im on a salty crunchy fic pop corn is my go to.
  • Kaylee11133
    Kaylee11133 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've found that I need low calorie snacks around to succeed lol, I've just come to terms with the fact that I have to have those things in my house so I don't reach for something that's hundreds of calories and ruin my day instead. I totally agree with the popcorn suggestion, add some popcorn seasoning (usually only single digit calories) and you have an awesome snack. I buy fiber one bars all the time because they come in brownies..lemon bars.. coffee cake, etc and actually suffice pretty well as a tasty dessert and are only 90 calories. Rice crispy bars (make sure you get the ones that are only 90 calories) also serve as a great snack. Oh! And i've recently found that weight watchers popsicles and ice cream bars are so amazing. Most are 90 calories. String cheese is usually around 70 calories. The turkey pepperoni, as said by someone else, is actually really good and tastes pretty similar to regular pepperoni. And on that note, turkey dogs instead of hot dogs are an amazing thing.. only 90 calories. I bought some Jennie-o jalapeno jack turkey franks, which tasted pretty similar to a brat, only 80 calories and so good. PB2 is powdered peanut butter, tastes really similar and is 45 calories for two tbsps (versus the typical normal peanut butter thats usually near 180) =]
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites when I want something rich,creamy, and low carb is sugar free instant pudding mixed with ricotta cheese and thinned out with a little unsweetened almond milk, or water if I'm out of the milk. The pudding thickens the ricotta a lot and I prefer the creamier texture after it's thinned out - plus it looks like I have more :smile:

Most of the Jello sugar free instant pudding flavors are 25 calories per serving (mix only), and the unsweetened almond milk adds maybe 4 calories. The brand of full fat ricotta I buy is 100 calories for a standard 62g serving. I usually super-size that to 100g for 161 calories, so 190 calories total.

Greek yogurt can be substituted for part or all of the ricotta if you don't mind the tartness of it. It's fine for lemon, but I like ricotta much better for puddling favors I expect to be sweet, like chocolate or butterscotch.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am probably the only person on the planet that loves these....but Rice Cakes. I adore them. I get the plain/low sodium kind - each cake is 40 calories. Yesterday I bought Philadelphia soft cream cheese - spicy jalapeno. TASTY! I use 1 TB of that which is 30 calories.

For 70 calories I get crunchy, cheesy and spicy. It's a nice snack to have when I'm starting to get hungry and it's not meal time. The crunchy is a big thing for me, and sometimes nuts get can tiresome. The rice cake gives me that, and I can put all kinds of toppings on it for flavor without adding a ton of calories - hummus, PB&J.... I love them with tuna or chicken salad for lunches.

I love rice cakes too. They come in so many flavors. I like caramel with peanut butter. Sun dried tomato with salsa and a bit of cheese. Experiment with different flavors. Yummy
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I know many plans recommend having good low cal snacks around, but for me I could never fight the urge to just eat them all quickly. I don't even snack anymore.

Anyway, my faves were always cottage cheese and yogurt with some fruit.
    Just plain old fruit with nuts.
    Pretzel Chips
  • smashy_smashy
    smashy_smashy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack lately has been 2 tablespoons of Trader Joe's White Bean and Basil Hummus with 1/2 - 3/4 cup of raw snow pea pods. Really good, and only about 100 calories!