Seriously pissed

Options
Hi guys,

I am more of the quiet reader, but I have been on MFP for a little while. In the last 3 years I have lost 46lbs (from 250 to 204 lbs), with a pregnancy (and breastfeeding) in between. I never gained mor than a few lbs back.

I do sports almost every day ( running,bodyweight training (like fitness blender videos level 3 or 4), cycling) and keep good count of my calories.
Still the progress have been reaaaaally slow. In the past 3 weeks my scale wouldn´t bulge, although i am eating between 1400 to 1700kcal a day (2000kcal one day on week-ends, sometimes more), which I find sustainable, and weighing religiously.
I am slowly but surely getting demotivated. And with vacation coming up, I will gain back a bit.

Up to now I have been trying to eat moderately low carb ( without excess, no keto here), because I had diabetes in my pregenancy.
So, two things:
1. I need to accelerate the weight loss, because the veeeeeeery slow results are killing my (very big) motivation. But I don´t see myself going unter 1400-1600kcal a day, and with a toddler my time is very limited for fitness. Anyone out there who loses more than 0,5lbs to 1lbs a week? How does it look like? Ideally 1 to 1,5 lbs in average would be great.

2. any tip on how to break these f%&§$ plateaus? I tried a bit of IF (a real pain), or carb cycling, didn´t help much. I am pre-diabetic, any carb and the weight goes way up.
I thought about weight training, but no time for a gym and no place for a home gym. Besides, I thought with bodyweight training from fitness blender it should have the same effect, right? Especially if I increase the difficulty over time? I have seen great result alsready, went from running 5min to running 35min and 4k.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    typically people who are not getting the results they want are not logging as accurately as they think

make sure you weigh all your solids and measure liquids

are you tracking exercise, if so how many calories are you burning doing what and how are you getting your estimates

this is a great post that might help send you in the right direction:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    typically people who are not getting the results they want are not logging as accurately as they think

are you tracking exercise, if so how many calories are you burning doing what and how are you getting your estimates

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This would be my advice as well. You either aren't logging your food accurately, are overestimating your exercise calories, or some combination of both.

Here's a good guide to logging accurately: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=how+to+log+accurately
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'd read the links above and look into the weekend eating of "2000, sometimes more". More or less, the sometimes more is what I question. Though, there's nothing with .5-1lb a week loss...
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you refuse to go below 1400-1600 then you probably won't lose as fast as you'd like. You should probably go down to 1200 net cal, or just deal with the progress you are making.

And there is a good chance you aren't logging accurately either which my would make my point above moot.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary & tell us how old you are?

You can def. accelerate your weight lost past .5 lbs if you have more than 25 lbs to lose. I have lost on average 1.5-2 lbs per week eating between 1400-1600. Weeks that I have not lost as much have been weeks that had 2,000-3,000 calorie days on the weekends.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you refuse to go below 1400-1600 then you probably won't lose as fast as you'd like. You should probably go down to 1200 net cal, or just deal with the progress you are making.

And there is a good chance you aren't logging accurately either which my would make my point above moot.

just no...1200 calories is not needed to lose weight.

Consistent and accurate logging and staying in goal is...a reasonable goal with reasonable deficit...

To the OP sometimes weight doesn't come off when you think it should...it's not linear and you won't lose weight every week and stressing about it doesn't help...cortisol levels raise when we are stressed...guess what that does...makes you retain water...which masks weight loss...

Take a deep breath, check your logging accuracy, weigh all your solids and stay in goal (daily or weekly)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well... the OP says that she is weighing her food so let's try to look beyond the generic response, shall we?

So OP, my first question is how tall are you? I ask this because the closer you are to goal, the harder it becomes to lose weight with the normally prescribed healthy regimen. At 206, if you are tall, you could be very close to a healthy weight.

Knowing that you specifically have an insulin issue, I would actually recommend reducing your carb intake. I'm not necessarily recommending keto, but you could lower your carbs a little at a time until you find a specific macro goal that you feel comfortable with, and will allow you to lose weight.

Are you taking anything for your insulin resistance? I am on Metformin for PCOS, and while I'm still losing much slower than I would like, I am losing. You might talk to your doctor about what can be done to address your insulin issues. Insulin resistance is a major obstacle when you are trying to lose weight.
  • Majkk09
    Majkk09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found that I didn't lose weight until I ate MORE calories. I'm not a weight loss guru by any means, I've been stuck or gaining, but I'm hypothyroid, so we're working on my meds. But my endo told me that your NET calories (after excersize) should be between 1600-1800 daily. And to eat every 3 hours, smaller meals.

So far I'm heading in the right direction, but I hear what you're saying about losing motivation. You'll get this!
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

just no...1200 calories is not needed to lose weight.

Consistent and accurate logging and staying in goal is...a reasonable goal with reasonable deficit...

To the OP sometimes weight doesn't come off when you think it should...it's not linear and you won't lose weight every week and stressing about it doesn't help...cortisol levels raise when we are stressed...guess what that does...makes you retain water...which masks weight loss...

Take a deep breath, check your logging accuracy, weigh all your solids and stay in goal (daily or weekly)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

What do you mean "just no" ?

She said she wants to lose weight faster and that her progress is slow, so I told her to drop her calories. Not exactly an unrealistic suggestion.

If she wants to lose weight at a quicker pace (which she said she did) then dropping calories to 1200 will help her achieve her results quicker than staying at 1,400 -1,600.
  • dandee1307
    dandee1307 Posts: 15
    Options
    I find that most people forget to log their drinks. Smoothies, cokes, apple juice, etc. They contain lots of calories. Never forget your drinks
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    3 weeks stalls are uncommon, but they happen... it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Is your period due anytime soon? It's normal to stall or gain just before. Heck I don't even weigh myself 2 weeks before my period until I'm 2 days in... it's pointless because I know I won't lose anything then.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    although i am eating between 1400 to 1700kcal a day (2000kcal one day on week-ends, sometimes more),

Depending on your weekly caloric deficit (3500cals/week = 1 lb/week weight loss), a once-a-week day of 2000+ calories could significantly effect your rate of weight loss.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am averaging about 1# a week loss. My best secret is to eat a very big, healthy salad with every color of veg I can find and only vinegar and oil to dress at lunch. I also put 3oz of protein in my salad. (Tuna, tri-tip, chicken, or ham) Then I am able to have 400 calories each for breakfast and dinner. I eat anything I want as long as it's within that 400 calorie limit. Because I'm eating whatever I want - I never feel deprived and that helps me to stay motivated.
    58369279.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about a slow loss (still a loss, btw) killing your motivation, maybe you need to work on your motivation rather than the loss. Progress is still progress even if it's slowed down, and you shouldn't need to "accelerate" as you say, in order to feel good about progress.
  • mariej136
    mariej136 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for your answers.

To answer a few, here are some more infos:
    I´m 5ft 6i, so not very tall, I should definitely lose some more without question. GW would be for me somewhere under 160lbs (long term). And I am not (yet) on medication for diabetes, I am simply at risk and ot shows when I eat pasta, I pile on weight immediately. Due to the way I eat at the moment, my blood sugar is well controlled. I do really well not eating pasta, rice and potatoes every day. I always loved veggies, maybe i should cut on the fruits a bit, that´s where most of my carb comes from.

On the pace of weight loss and motivation: I would be fine with 0,5lbs a week, but we are trying for a 2d child, and I absolutely want to lower as much as possible any risk i can control (=weight). I had hoped to be under 190lbs for my 2d pregnancy.

On the logging: opening my diary wouldn´t help you much, as it is mostly in french, german and spanisch, but I do not drink liquid calories, and when I seldom do i log them.
    I would rather see the issue in the week-end, because we eat out often and I have a lot of trouble to log correctly (when friends cook...). I do not eat my calories from training, except if I do lots of sports (like a 2hour bike ride on week-end), i would eat maybe 200kcal more.

I have trouble with my protein intake, it´s certainly a bit low (60g a day), it should be somewhere around 100-130g according to the posts I have seen here, so could muscle loss be a factor? I have been thinking of drinking protein shakes, as i am not much of a meat eater. I have trouble getting tofu, but I could look into that.

It could absolutely be that stress is a factor, as I have a very stressful job (and family life of course). But as someone said, eating 2000kcal on a day per week will also slow progress, especially if the logging is not accurate.

all in all I am of course really happy with my progress, losing slowly is actually really good, also for the skin. And I am especially happy with the fact that i have not been yoyoing for such a long time. I just need a little booster for 2 months...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP are you losing inches?

if you are then you are on the right track and the scale will catch up, dont sweat it.

if you aren't then something is off with your your calories, either you're eating more than you think you are or you're eating at less of a deficit.

keep in mind that even if you are weighing and measuring your foods, the MFP databases are all over place (for instance i've seen avocados with the same weight 2 different ways in the database and 1 is like 100 calorie less than the other).

the other thing to keep in mind is the formula for determining your calorie goals is based on averages set up for people from the 1940's/1950s. your numbers night be more or less, especially if you have any underlying health issues
  • jenanon1
    jenanon1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Or perhaps it's less about logging accurately, and more about what MFP thinks are your 'lose x lbs a week' calories are not in fact going to work in your case.

For example, I've got 100+lbs still to lose. In theory, my TDEE according to MFP is 2420cals, so on an average of 1450 cals (net, the level MFP recommends for me), I should be losing about 2lbs a week, give or take.

However, my actual TDEE (taken from my own figures over the last 200 days logging) is nearer 2200, which when I eat an average of 1650 gross (1450 net) means a loss per week of around 1.2lbs a week. BTW, this also means the exercise calories MFP gives me are waaaay out too, what a surprise :)

Which has driven me bonkers, I've got loads to lose, I'm only losing about a pound a week, give or take. The only way I came to terms with this is by calculating the numbers and MFP, for me, is just wrong in it's assumptions about weight loss.

That being said, another thing I've learned is that however slowly it has come off, it's still coming off.

Sorry I don't have any tips for you, other than learning your own body and trying to be content with the way things are. Fingers crossed you manage to find a solution.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tried to drop to a higher goal of weight loss per week and actually lost less weight. It is hard for me to stick with 1200 calories per day . . . at 1400 I do better over all for weight loss. I am able to keep more even keel that way.

I do find that the eating with friends on the weekend (usually with alcohol consumption:-) holds me back from losing weight. My personal opinion is that it is in part the type of food since weekend food with friends tends to be high sodium/carbs/etc.

When I hit a plateau, it is usually increasing or changing up my exercise that makes a difference.

Actually what makes the biggest difference when I really think about it - is not giving up. I lose weight slowly and gain it easily. I have lost 35 pounds but it has taken me about 14 months. It is discouraging but I keep plugging away and try to focus on what I can lose in a year as opposed to a shorter time period.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

I weigh less than the op and I eat between 1400-1600 ( not net, gross, I do not eat back exercise cals) and am losing. You do not have to starve. I am 5'2. Op is above average height for a woman at 5'6. Granted, I also am training for another marathon but still it is not necessary to starve.