Dangling flab question!! Have you lost lots of weight?

Options
BigMomma742
BigMomma742 Posts: 46 Member
I really don't know so I'm not asking this to be rude. If a person loses a lot of weight doing it gradually through diet and exercise will the dangling flab like lower arm flab "suck" back in? I already have arm flab so is it going to get worse? Good exercises for this? I have lost about 40 pounds total on/off MFP over the years and am back on track trying to lose about 70 more but have been wondering about the...flab. For exercise I ride my stationary bike and take walks. I am going to also get a DVD not sure which one yet. :love:

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Well I think this really depends. If the flab has substantial amounts of fat still, it could "tone" or "tighten" up again. However...more often then not...the damage has been done. You can not do much for flabby SKIN.

I have read numerous times that it takes at least 1 year before the skin bounces back as much as it possibly would...otherwise, your only option is surgery. Continue drinking water, moisturize and working out as usual.

One thing I have wondered about is binding the area? I dont know if this would work...just an idea that popped into my head.
  • melissaeertmoed
    Options
    ive lost about 140 pounds (from 344 to 201) and my arms were always big, and look even worse now, ... i do small amounts of weight lifting (5lb dumbbells in each hand 20 minutes a day) and nothing helps if you figure it out let me know :-(
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do not have this problem yet however I hope to one day :D I have heard cocoa butter, it wraps, and strong lifts are the best but you can only get it to come back so much
  • Myamoo222
    Myamoo222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wear a body wrap everyday under my clothing (think spanks etc) that goes from my knees to under my bra. I have noticed that the skin sag is much worse in my arms and breast compared to the areas that I can wear the wrap. I cleared it with my doc and she said that while it may not make a huge difference, I wouldn't hurt. She thought it could help gravity from pulling the loose skin down and stretching it further as I lose, but couldn't tell me 100% if it was going to help or not.
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem but I would definitely recommend cocoa butter!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I think having loose skin after weight loss is highly individual and based on a variety of factors. So far, I don't really have much to speak of. Things seem a little loose in my lower abdomen, and my breasts certainly aren't as full as they used to be. It also seems a tad bit loose in my "saddlebag" area, but none of it is very noticeable when I'm sitting or standing. I really only notice the difference if I'm in a plank position or leaning over.

For reference, I'm 28 and have lost my weight pretty slowly (over a period of 19 months). I'm not sure how much difference it really makes, but I've done body weight/resistance training from the beginning and always drink lots of water.
  • BigMomma742
    Options
    Thanks for your input everybody. I did find some exercises on youtube. Good luck in your continuing quest.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have done a good bit of research on this. Skin elasticity is impacted by genetics partially, which obviously you can't do anything about. The recommendations I have found are to lose at a reasonable pace (no more than 2 lbs a week), drink plenty of water, work on muscle toning 3x a week, and use a gentle scrub brush when showering and a moisturizer with collagen in it daily. My dermatologist explain that the best thing to do is work to keep the circulation flow up to the skin and keep it hydrated. Also, something my brother told me about body builders is that they keep a high potassium diet because it push sodium out and give the skin a tighter appearance. I haven't had a chance to research this much but what he said about it did make sense.

And on the lotion, I found a Walmart brand skin firming gel that I love. It isn't greasy and leave my skin so soft. I'll get the name of it for you.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It's not just weight loss, but also genetics, age and gravity. While my upper arms are slimmer, I do have that delightful "bat wing" effect. But hey, my feeling is if it bothers you, avert your eyes because it's summer and I live in the south and sleeveless is gonna happen.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Plastic surgery to tighten the loose skin will correct the problem. Or, gaining weight again might fill out the loose skin again. I am a victim of loose skin also. I am not convinced that anything other than plastic surgery will work for me. Mine isn't due to weight loss; it is from a combination of postmenopausal weight redistribution, thinning of skin, and loss of skin elasticity.
  • BigMomma742
    Options
    Sounds great. You're so sweet. Thank you for all the info.:smile:
  • BigMomma742
    Options
    I love your attitude. That, for the most part, is mine too. I just want to do it for myself and wondered if it can be done. I don't think I would spend money on plastic surgery. Thanks.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    These exercises are designed for women over 50 to get rid of "Batwings": http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/upper-arm-exercises-weights-women-over-50-19970.html
  • BigMomma742
    Options
    thanks. I'll check it out!!
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I misspoke. It was L-Carnitine that is in the gel. This is only around $6 a bottle so you don't have a huge investment to try it.

The product I use is called Equate Farewell Cellulite Cream.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Farewell-Cellulite-Cream-6.7-oz/12444470
  • BigMomma742
    Options
    Nice. thanks.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same upper arm problem, and elsewhere. I am more conscientious now than when at my highest weight and refuse to wear shorts or tank tops in public. I'm going to check out the exercises and lotion too. Thanks for the ideas!
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have horrible upper arms. My stomach hangs near to the ground when I am in a push-up position.

It has taken me just over 3 years to lose my weight so far.

I plan to have an arm lift in the near future. Later, I plan to have some breast work done and a tummy tuck.

I think it's a combination of factors that depends on genetics and how much weight you have lost. I saw extreme weight loss the other day, and she lost 160lbs, her arms looked pretty good. My arms bother me more than the rest of it, although I miss my breasts. It's still better than being as fat as I was, I guess.
  • elliespal
    elliespal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. It's great to see others achieving the same goals you have made for yourself. Concerning the weights---I spoke with a coach and was told that 3 - 5 pound weights will do nothing to help us tone up. They actually call them "Chicken Bone" weights. Plus the lifter will quickly get used to the way that weight feels...so be prepared to move up to the next pound weight. For instance 3lb for 1-2 weeks; 5 lbs for 2-4 weeks; then try to move to 10lb weights. I can tell you that 10 pound weights are not easy to handle so most people will usually stay at 10lb weights for at least a month. When you can handle that weight move up to the next pound and then find a comfortable weight that you can lift. Some women go all the way up to hundreds of pounds before they stop. I must say when the endorphins start making you feel elated (caused by lifting weights) that is addicting too.

True story- - several years ago I was on Weight Watchers and was stalled at a certain weight. The following week after being weighed at Weight Watchers I just lifted small hand weights at home...no cardio...no aerobics. I was discouraged so decided to stick with the weights. When I went back to the next Weight Watchers meeting for weigh-in I had lost 8 pounds. The person was shocked and asked me to tell step-by-step what I had eaten, how I had exercised. When I told her about the weights she said "That's It! Lifting weights when done properly will speed up weight loss."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!