Confessions of a Closet Eater

Options

Replies

• RJay64
    RJay64 Posts: 135
    Options
    I do #20, and this time around on the lose-it wagon I have gone so far as to actually strip to undies and stand in front of the full-length mirror with the [whatever food] up to my mouth. I instantly lose the desire for that item. Luckily, I work from home, alone, so I can do that without being called into HR.

Yes to #17! You would really think it was so, the way I can eat some things - namely hot wings and Chinese food. I am going to stick this one forefront in my brain.

Thanks for sharing your list, IowaPrincess.

You have given me, and others, a great tool: The things you think about AFTER... think of them BEFORE.
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    im glad all of you enjoyed it.... trust me i have to re-read it a lot!!! :noway:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Bump
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    4. Is this a food served on special occasions and or holidays? (I love you cadbury creme egg sad )

Read this is cadbury creme egg salad. I was both intrigued and disgusted.
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not that we should be taking any tips from anorexic-looking models...but Kate Moss once said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Sadly...this is SO true. But I like to alter it to "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". I seriously repeat this to myself everytime I'm tempted when I'm not able to cheat. It seriously helps. I imagine myself eating that greasy breadstick and pizza and think....how will I feel after I consume that? Is it really worth it? Some days it is -- but most days it's not. PLUS I remind myself what I'd feel like if I ate something else and also I remind myself I'll probably scarf it down way too quickly to even enjoy it.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Never was a closet eater-could never imagine my conscience even letting me. If I want to eat well heck then i WILL EAT. Its I guess the same as an alchy-one who drinks to get drunk alone? hehe. I do pity you though. I also commend you to feting up your guilty pleasures. I also hope that you get angry enough so that you stop letting it control you.
    The world is always full of food-well here in the first world country anyways thank the Lord Jesus Christ Amen But thats the thing-you must know that you can hold back because it will ALWAYS be there waiting for you anyways. Thats a little mind trick i USED when my cousins and brother would have pizza delivered and I was watching my weight after I quit smoking cold turkey about 9 years ^_^. It will always be there. you can let go of food it won't go anywhere:) A little deprivation turns to discipline. I said a little not a lot;) A little here and a little there all small steps-a great key and foundation and set up for stronger will later for this type of journey!!!
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you think about all those things whenever you look at food? That is obsession. You should only ask yourself one question: Does the benefits of having this food outweigh the possible risks?
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    I do love number 20. :) That is a good thought to have when tempting food is begging for your attention!~~!
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Seriously, you think about all those things whenever you look at food? That is obsession. You should only ask yourself one question: Does the benefits of having this food outweigh the possible risks?
    That is a very good thought!!!! What benefit does this food have and being honest about when you just ate to how hungry you really are. Because if you ate an honest to goodness well balanced healthy meal with protein and carbs…you should NOT feel hungry even if you don't feel full!!!! A light snack could be in order but very light,easy peasy mac and cheesy! Never focus how big your eyes are^_^
    Id rather have a cheesy egg and bacon(f you love pork) with mayo sandwich made at home than junk food and it doesn't take that long to make!!:)and its very delicious and more satisfying than fried chicken if you must>.<fried chicken ew -except for chicken tenders-THOSE are good and only on occasion maybe twice a year??
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Great stuff!!! I am a closet eater, emotional eater, basically just love food. Even with the success I am having and the ugliness during my fatter days, I still love eating.

There's a book out there someone told me about. It is about food companies and restaurants that contract with research firms to study and then alter food that will cause chemical reactions in our brains so that we will crave certain types (usually bad) of food. Look at the explosion of casual type restaurant chains over the last 20-30 years. As a kid we hardly ate out, mainly b/c of money but also in my general area (suburb of decent size US City) there were only a handful of restaurants not named McDonalds or the local greasy spoon. Now there's probably 30-40 within a 20 min drive.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1. Is this food even remotely represented in the food pyramid (I am pretty sure chocolate and pepperoni aren't on there)

Chocolate is derived from a bean, the bean comes from a tree, things from trees are fruits and vegetables. Therefore Chocolate is a vegetable.

Serious now, great list, keep up the outstanding work.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    There is a lot of self hate and loathing in your OP. Best of luck...
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I printed this out! It's going on the fridge!
  • silvanshadow
    Options
    This is super helpful. Thanks for sharing!
  • Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I so know how you feel. I have been eating my emotions for several years now and I went from 145lbs in 2005 to 250lbs in 2014. Ive lost 8 of those lbs and I know its a start. I still tend to eat late at night when everyone else is asleep. Me and my husband started a new diet last Sunday that is very healthy and for the most part we are sticking to it. We are working out and feeling better about these life changing methods. NOW here is the messedt up part. I do not have kids and my father thats 81 lives with us. I have to cook two different meals because he needs all the weight he can gain. post cancer patient who has an appetite of an anorexic teenager. He eats but not like a healthy man should. I guess as we get older we change as well. I know being 33 and married has not helped my case. I have alot of different stressed in my life. Lost my marriage and mother in 2010/ Dad had cancer in 2012/ then I remarried in 2013. Positives are now outweighing the negatives but a little support never hurt anybody. Please read this list and realize life if worth living and we all have our demons.

Mine is food!
  • akelly3391
    akelly3391 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I usually think "I should eat something healthier" and then decide I don't care and eat it anyway. Afterwards I (almost) always regret it. I think I'm going to make my own to use :)
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Thanks MFP friends!!!! :bigsmile:
    I love the responses.

As for the "hateful" comments.
    1. Get a sense of humor. :flowerforyou:
    2. If you have nothing positive to say...go read somthing else. :drinker:
  • swoldiergirl
    swoldiergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! THANK YOU! :wink: :wink: