Calculating Weight Training

Options
This morning, I lifted weights at a low weight/ high reps, 3-4sets. I'm not sure how to calculate this type of exercise or any other weight lifting exercise. I don't remember all the exercises that I did. I just targeted my upper body.

Does any one know how to calculate these types of exercises?
OR
Could explain how they calculate any other weight lifting exercises cause they don't how many reps/sets and they just say my weight, not the weight that I'm lifting?

THANKS!!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    calculate in what sense, calories burned?

if so enter it as a cardio activity under "strength trianing". it, like all other calorie burn estimates, is just that, an estimate
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I didn't trust the MFP calculations for strength training so I base my calories on TDEE - 25% (that 25% will definitely lower as I get closer to goal but still have around 50lb to go for now).

TDEE includes your activity level so you don't have to worry about finding out how many calories you burned and trying to eat all or some of them back.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't trust MFP for this either. In my opinion the Strength training burn is way to light for me. I tend to do super sets for most of my work outs, but not all so I can't put it in as "Circuit training."

Also, ever wonder why bodyweight training (whatever that is) burns less than the weight lifting option? I tend to lift more than my body weight and incorporate bodyweight exercise when I go to the gym!

I go the route bluebox does and use my TDEE - but unfortunately I am having trouble finding the right number (post in food and nutrition shortly if anyone has insight.)
  • btrigby
    btrigby Posts: 3
    Options
    What does MFP and TDEE stand for?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    What does MFP and TDEE stand for?
    MFP-myfitnesspal
    TDEE-total daily energy expenditure, which is the number of calories you burn in a typical day
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor with the iCardio/DigiFit app. I wearit when I do all exercise. Just throw it on when you get to the gym, shut it off when you're done. Log it as a custom entry "Cardio and Weights"

Also there is a new fitness band out called the Amiigo. It will recognize the different exercises you do and tell you how many calories you burn in each. It's just starting to hit the street and they are still working the bugs out. Search on Facebook for the User Group to find out some real user experience.

Check out the H7, it's a nice HRM and fairly inexpensive: http://bit.ly/polarh7