poisioning student's life

Options
Hello! Eva here!
My biggest problem as a student is eating heathly. I either don't eat anything because of stress or I eat junk food because of stress. And I can't be the only one. At this moment I don't really care so much for my weight loss as for my health.
So if there is anybody with the same problem, who needs help and support and motivation and also has a very low budget, add me as a friend. I would love to share this life changing jurney with someone :).

Replies

• shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    YES ME!

Although the people I live with influence my food choices also.
  • koaliebear195
    koaliebear195 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ME TOO ugh it's awful.

My roommate last year was no less than 300 lbs and spent her saturday (and sunday-friday) nights with two family sized bags of chips, and 2 liters of pepsi. She ate fries every single day! It was hard to be around. It rubbed off on me (though I wasn't nearly as bad). We made lots of trips to the campus convenience store and grill. I think I gained 30 lbs in 8 months :(

To help me stay on track this year, I'm moving in with a body builder and a triathlete. They keep their kitchen stocked with protein and practically ban any refined sugar. I know it's not possible for everyone to find ridiculously healthy roommates BUT it's an idea?

Good luck to you! Feel free to add me :)
  • katiemlandry
    Options
    When I first started college I really did gain the freshman 15, but it was more like the freshman 20. I have since graduated, but last year was probably the worst -- my roommate and I would both influence each other to choose unhealthy foods. If she didn't want domino's, I wanted it.

Good luck on your goals!!!
  • missionalman
    missionalman Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm starting back to school in January! My family eats super unhealthy (Last night we had chicken tenders that were 210 calories for 2!) so I have to buy my own groceries if I want anything healthy to eat. Not easy on a student's budget!
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my third semester in college next month and I had gained the previous 2 semester. I always ate mcdonald's before class (I have to go to night classes).

Feel free to add me. I have lost 9 pounds so far and am motivated to sticking to it.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm going into a master's program in the fall and it's taken me the last four years to realize how terrible my eating habits have become. Since starting university, I've gained about 20 pounds and am looking to get rid of that again. I'm spending the summer focusing on getting back on track with nutrition and exercise so that I can hopefully have a better shot of making it work through the school year when things get hectic again! I'll be living by myself this year so I think that will help me stay on track and avoid temptations of roommates baking and such! Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm starting back to school in January! My family eats super unhealthy (Last night we had chicken tenders that were 210 calories for 2!) so I have to buy my own groceries if I want anything healthy to eat. Not easy on a student's budget!
    Perhaps you can offer to do the family grocery shopping? Possibly even cook dinner? Use the excuse that you need to start learning to meal plan and budget so you'll be ready when you move out on your own.
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've found that I'm not a stressful eater, but I'm a bored eater. It took some doing, but I reprogrammed myself to drink water when I'm bored instead of reaching for junk food. It's made a world of difference. Again, at first it was a conscious effort, but at the end of the day it was doable and definitely worth it.

Not to mention: FREE!
  • missionalman
    missionalman Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can offer to do the family grocery shopping? Possibly even cook dinner? Use the excuse that you need to start learning to meal plan and budget so you'll be ready when you move out on your own.

I've done it in the past when my parents have been sick, but even then they're particular about what I buy. I've been buying my own groceries for two years now, and I'm pretty much okay with it, except for the fact the price of food keeps going up!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I know the feels, especially last semester when I had night classes that went til 7 or 8 at night.

My suggestion would just be don't buy that kind of food. Things like ramen isn't super terrible if that's all you have for dinner though. Just grab like another vegetable and eat that. Make unhealthy cheap food into decent food. Just do portion control.
  • pinklemonayde530
    pinklemonayde530 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll be going back to school next month and am getting into a habit of walking again (family death - exercise & eating right took a hike) and eating better before school starts up. I plan the meals, shop, and cook for our family. I even bake some kind of dessert once a week. Once the dessert is gone, oh well, no more dessert.

I have learned to do little swaps like instead of lasagna with pasta I sub in zucchini. Makes it lower in calories for both of us and I don't feel guilty if I want a little more. we also buy frozen veggies instead of canned because there is less salt (check the lable, this doesn't apply to all brands.) Just try to do little things that you can with the situation you are in. If your roommate wants pizza then have some pizza; just don't eat the whole box!