YOGA -> help

Options
Cmem831
Cmem831 Posts: 46 Member
So I'm looking to get into yoga. I've done it here and there, but I want to get into doing it regularly. I'd love to join yoga classes at the gym but unfortunately my working mother scheduled will not allow me to do so. I'm asking if anyone knows of any great progressive yoga videos I'd be able to do from home. Something that will start at a beginners level and kind of progressively get more involved... ? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated ????

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Google it.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Youtube should have a vast collection. hope you find something that suits you. I love Yoga and need it in my life for my mental peace as much as my physical flexibility and fitness. One of the best decisions i ever made was to take a class and I was hooked from day one.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Here is one to avoid - Power Yoga - Flexibility by Rodney Yee.

Its suppose to be for beginners but he just announces the poses and doesn't explain them and he moves way too fast. It's suppose to be for flexibility but he holds the pose for maybe 5 seconds and moves on. I hate that DVD.

It would probably be okay for someone who is familiar with the names of poses and has been doing yoga for a while.

I liked Yogalosophy by Mandy Ingber. It's yoga, but you also do some toning work with it in the pose. Like if you are doing chair pose, you will hold that for 8 breaths and then do 2 sets of squats. Its rough, but it works and I thought it was fun.
  • ladyofthelakeontario
    ladyofthelakeontario Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like www.doyogawithme.com.

They have a lot of videos of varying styles and lengths. They also have programs you can download that give you a plan for 2-5 videos per week depending on your level.
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Brian Kest's Power Yoga Collection is pretty great. It has three different full programs, and moves from beginner-but-challenging to OMG-I'm-Gonna-Die. As with all yoga, you bring to it whatever you have, so you can go as all-out or as conservative as you want.
  • sunsoakeddreamer
    sunsoakeddreamer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really like Yoga with Adriene on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene). She's really enhanced my practice, her motto is "Do what feels good". She has beginner sequences as well as "foundation of yoga" where you can learn more about the common poses and what you should be doing in them. When you feel comfortable, there are tons more videos all over youtube.
  • Cmem831
    Cmem831 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! Can't wait to check them out! ????
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat so thanks to everyone for the ideas!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like shiva rae's stuff. her dvd's even have this little matrix thingy so you can put together your own routine

mark blanchard had a pretty good series called power progressive yoga

if you have cable you can maybe try out some yogazone workouts on demand
  • cmcostello23
    cmcostello23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yoga studio is an app that I have on my iPhone and I love it.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like Yoga with Adriene on Youtube as well as the Yogatic channel. They both have good videos for beginners and varying lengths to choose from =)
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reading later - to try out some of the sites/apps mentioned